Thoughts on Oceania Tours ??

roger b

Hi RB,

>Why do they have to make charges for tours that can be done at considerably cheaper prices privately.

They don't have to.

They do it because they can get away with it.

Since you know that their excursions are over priced, just go ahead and book one privately.

Have you checked your roll call to see if there are openings on private tours?

Ira

Hi RB,

>Why do they have to make charges for tours that can be done at considerably cheaper prices privately.

They don't have to.

They do it because they can get away with it.

Since you know that their excursions are over priced, just go ahead and book one privately.

Have you checked your roll call to see if there are openings on private tours?

Ira

I always book my own tours mainly with a group from CC, I would book with Oceania but I feel that some of the offerings are outrageous ie a 3 hour walk around a town in a group of 20/30 people for $75 where one either can not hear what the guide is saying or one has to wait for one person to catch up.

Much better to have your own group of 6/8, my original question was why do people go on Oceania's expensive trips and what it comes down to is laziness and confidence.

So try it with a small group and you will never go back !!!

Honestly - why do we need to add a slam against "laziness" if people take an O tour? It is their money. No one criticizes those who book private tours. Can't we live and let live???

(We have toured both ways. So I do have a basis for my opinion, too)

Edited by Toranut97

Interesting points of view. Obviously there is no right or wrong answer and it is probably not a good idea to judge people based upon whether they want to take Oceania tours or not. I'm sure there are people that arranged a small group tour on Roll Call and ended up not enjoying the people they were with or the tour guide. One is not necessarily better than the other -- just different. As I think I mentioned earlier on this thread, the tour we did with the Culinary Center chef was probably the best tour we have done -- ever. It was very expensive but, IMO, worth every penny. We have also done a small group tour that was excellent. On our cruise next month we are doing a private tour. We are not "bus tour" type people although we do some on Regent. Most people know what types of tours they prefer and whether they area comfortable with bus tours, small group tours or private tours. It is interesting to read everyone's opinion (when no one is being judged:-)

How far out from a cruise are the ship tours posted and when can PH2 book these?

We did a mixture of ship and private tours and will probably do the same next cruise but I like to see what Oceania has available first and if I like the description but the price is too steep I will then look at private. If the price seems reasonable we will go with the ship - just for the convenience.

Edited by jakes47

I have found them as early as 9 mths out

You can book them as soon as they are posted no matter what cabin Cat you are in

You could always look at early cruises with the same port stops to get an idea of prices & itinerary

Lyn

Edited by LHT28

You know, we have taken mostly O tours, and we have been very, very happy with those tours. Sure, we have done some individual, but in looking at the overall picture, we have been extremely satisfied with O's tours. For those ports where we have been multiple times, we usually do our own thing, but as has been said, it is up to the individual.

Just take advantage of what you can to see the destination you are visiting. With what is going on in the world today, make sure what you have selected is safe for that particular destination.

For those people who prefer the ships tours (for whatever reason), I have to agree. I personally prefer private tours because I like a smaller group. My husband is very happy with the ships tours. (Maybe not the price! :D)

But no one should be criticized for the way they choose to tour a foreign port.

We've occasionally had a lackluster tour -- both with the ship's tours and with private tours. You never know what you'll get until you are there. But in general however we've toured has been a plus.

Mura