Learned something that some may not know

Laid-back

Interesting. Just trying to understand - you created the bookings by phoning Royal?

Yes I use the same vacation planner each time . I phone her at the 1 800 number from their website( with two b's) and her extension number. all my documentation comes by email from her at documentation@rccl.com. and it always advises me of the 1 800 numbers as per their official website.

Yes I use the same vacation planner each time . I phone her at the 1 800 number from their website( with two b's) and her extension number. all my documentation comes by email from her at documentation@rccl.com. and it always advises me of the 1 800 numbers as per their official website.

Thanks, I did not know you could create a booking by phone and still have full website access.

Thanks, I did not know you could create a booking by phone and still have full website access.

I sure don't but maybe that is a benefit given to our neighbors to the north. Just looked at my booking and no control other than making payment.

The OP is saying they lose some website functionality when booking by phone. They can no longer cancel the cruise or change staterooms using the website when they book by phone.

I don't understand why that's a bad thing.

We've changed rooms a TON, and use anyone we can talk to so that we can make changes. We'd much rather talk than use the website to make changes at all.

And never had problems doing extras on line- excursions, food and drink, shows, etc.

The one time we booked on line, it was a lot more painful than just talking to someone. Let them do all the work, as far as I'm concerned.

As for them being an agent- big deal. I get better service using RCI than any TA we've tried (and see other people struggling with).

I guess we are odd. But I'll stick with that.

I don't understand why that's a bad thing.

We've changed rooms a TON, and use anyone we can talk to so that we can make changes. We'd much rather talk than use the website to make changes at all.

And never had problems doing extras on line- excursions, food and drink, shows, etc.

The one time we booked on line, it was a lot more painful than just talking to someone. Let them do all the work, as far as I'm concerned.

As for them being an agent- big deal. I get better service using RCI than any TA we've tried (and see other people struggling with).

I guess we are odd. But I'll stick with that.

I don't think you are odd. I think many people use travel agents and have them make all the changes. Other people like using the website. Each to their own.

My past few cruises I have booked online. However, I have always been encouraged to call RCL directly if I want to speak to a live person. I have called before - and always received the personal attention I was seeking. I have had the same experience with other cruise lines as well..)

QTPie :cool:

I learned this last year. Not only could I not make changes I couldn't make payments online at all. I went through every level of support at RCI and kept getting told they were aware of the issue and were working on it. Never fixed it and I had to phone to make every payment.

In my case the error would indicate that the country in my payment details didn't match the country on the reservation. It did, it always did but no way they could fix it.

Never again will I book with RCI in advance. The price of my cruise still over a month away is now $1100 cheaper than when I booked. The RCI agent told me on the phone last year that if the price went down I could get the better price. At no point did she indicate that this promise dies after the last payment date.

A year before I had none of these issues when I did my entire booking online.

I'm having the same problem in that I can't make payments online and am getting the same message regarding the country not matching. Guess they don't like us Canooks, eh?? We also went through all the levels of support to try and get this corrected.

I always just book online direct with the cruiseline but for some reason I had to call for info and figured I'd just go ahead and book with the rep. Never again!!!! .. I did not realize it would be such a hassle to do anything online pertaining to the cruise. I tried to make a few payments online but ended up having to call (and wait for 45 minutes once, and 30 minutes a second time). I will just wait till final payment date rather than go through all this hassle.

I agree that I never had any issues when booking online and that will be how all our future bookings are done!;)

Edited by hancogran

This neighbour to the north has never had that ability despite booking all of my reservations by phone.

I can make payments online but not change cabins.

Another neighbour to the north that can't do anything online.

You're doing better than me if you can make payments online... I can't :confused: I will never again book on the phone with an RCI rep.. back to doing it myself online and having control of things! ;)

Another neighbour to the north that can't do anything online.

You're doing better than me if you can make payments online... I can't :confused: I will never again book on the phone with an RCI rep.. back to doing it myself online and having control of things! ;)

Their system is so messed up. The only time I have not had the ability to make a payment on line was when I put a hold on a cruise on line and then called to finish the booking.

This neighbour to the north has never had that ability despite booking all of my reservations by phone.

I can make payments online but not change cabins.

More neighbours from the North. Same thing here. Always thought it was being in the Maritimes, that we couldn't get all the bells and whistles.

Edited by Folk Singer

Their system is so messed up. The only time I have not had the ability to make a payment on line was when I put a hold on a cruise on line and then called to finish the booking.

This upcoming Allure sailing had a hold put on it last November. I got a call from a very nice agent the next day who offered no discount on the price but was able to offer me some in cabin freebies (a verbal agreement) as well as OBC for using a particular card that was not advertised on the website. So I went ahead and booked it with her on the phone.

So this sounds the same as your's, held online, booked on the phone, eastern Canada.

I was unable to make payments online with an error over and over about a country not matching.

In the 9 months I was paying on this I spent hours on the phone trying to have someone see why this was happening to my reservation. Emails to sales and technical support as well. I never received any satisfactory explanation and the story was different every time.

The only thing that I think caused this was the fact that despite me browsing using CAD as the currency and putting a hold on it this way, the initial reservation was in USD. I noticed this as soon as I got the confirmation emails and called back to have it corrected. I suspect at this point the reservation that was initially held and then completed online was wiped out and a brand new one fully and wholly created by the agent was created in CAD.

To me the ability to pay when I want without having to spend hours on the phone answering the same questions every time is worth losing a bath robe or some strawberries. Next time I'll handle it myself.