Hump vs Aft - what's your fave?

So here's my theory...i think I'm right LOL...most folks want a hump balcony...it's mid ship, easy to get to the elevators, it's more convenient and you get a great view and sometimes the balcony is a little larger.

I would stick with your hump cabin (if it's your first) and then on your next cruise, consider an AFT. I have seen them available from time to time and seem easier to get.

We have had 2 HUMP center balconies and LOVE it, but we are going to try an AFT for our Jewel cruise in a few weeks. I can't wait to try it!

Edited by slyster

I'm booked in a hump balcony on Jewel for the end of November. I see that there's a couple aft balconies available and they have the huge balcony. Contemplating switching but a) not sure about being so far from elevators, and b) remember someone complaining about cigarette smoke on an aft balcony. I would love the huge balcony and the aft view though.

Your thoughts and opinions please!!

Just to clarify, I'm guessing by your comment about the huge balconies that by 'aft' you mean the actual aft-facing balconies. If so, then I would choose those without hesitation. But RCI's definition of aft, if you look at how they describe the cabin location when you do a booking, includes side-facing cabins that happen to be toward the aft-end of the ship. Those are not as desirable because they do not have the super-sized balcony.

I am just off a Vision cruise and had the same cabin, JS 8088, that Karen mentioned in her post above. The balcony for that cabin is about four times larger than the side-facing JS balconies on the same ship because it is a true wrap-around. The balcony faces both aft and port. The half-dozen or so aft-facing cabins in between 8088 and 8588 (the other corner) have large balconies as well, just not as big as the two aft-corners.

I had a hump cabin on the Allure for my cruise before the one on the Vision, and that was definitely more conveniently located, especially for those who don't like a bit of a walk. The balcony for that cabin was larger than normal from the hump, but didn't come close in size to the aft-corner ones.

Just my two cents.

True aft on Radiance class, center hump on other ships.

The Radiance class is not too large and the walk from aft to mid ship or further is not too bad. We've had 9256, 1100, 1102, 1104 and enjoyed each one.

We've had the center hump ( what ever that number is ) on the Freedom class twice and enjoyed it for the convenience.

Enjoy M

Edited by cruisegirl1

Aft hands down. View is spectacular and it feels very private. We had an aft balcony on the Indy.

Had a hump balcony on the Allure. It's nice too, but it didn't feel quite as private as there was much more foot traffic going by. View was nice, but not as nice as the aft.

It's also more "value" to me to have an aft. It's nice to pay the same price as a balcony on the side of the ship but have WAY more balcony space.

I realize this is RCCL section of the Board, but thought I would mention:

The larger balcony (deeper) is true on RCCL ships, but on Celebrity Solstice class ships, the Hump balconies are much deeper than the aft balconies and much more private - Solstice #1610, Equinox #1610, etc.

If the person making the inquiry switches lines, e.g., to Celebrity, they need to be mindful of the difference in ship design between lines.

At any rate - as long as you are on a cruise ship it's great!!! Have a wonderful cruise and enjoy yourself.

Edited by gw2fll

Don't care for aft. Too much vibration and a long walk.

Only had this issue on the Freedom (and the entire aft of the ship vibrated on just about every deck). Never felt any more vibration than any other spot on any other ships.

Edited by lv2bcruzin