Best time to cruise Alaska?

Baker City Mom

I always go either the first or second cruise of the season before Memorial Day for several reasons: (1) the price sometimes is less, (2) school is not yet out in a lot of places so not as many families as there would be later, (3) the snow and the glaciers are still very fresh and pristine. It is a wonderful cruise. I am looking at booking The Jewel out of Seattle in late May.

We just returned from our Alaskan cruise on September 20th. We went expecting rain and more rain and cool temps. What we got was sunshine and more sunshine and warm temps. From what we heard every port we were in was that they were having the best weather they had experienced in weeks. I think we just lucked out. We went prepared to be wet and cool and we were dry and warm. Our rain jackets never even came out of the pouch. I had to come out of my layers several days in a row. It is beautiful in Alaska so what ever weather you get go and enjoy the scenery and prepare for wet. BTW, we were on the Jewel and it's a great ship. Loved the layout and easy to get around on.

Edited by Floridanamaw

I have been doing some searching, but, I'm impatient and was hoping I could just find out from those of you that have cruised Alaska, what is the best time to go? Thank you for your help.

"Best in what regard? Price? Weather? You would get a different answer with each one.

We went in May, got lower prices, probably less rain than later in the season. It was cooler but we did not mind. Bring clothes for layering. We loved seeing the snow capped mountains, but ice can sometimes have an impact on the ship's ability to get into some areas early in the season, depending on your itinerary. The bears were not active yet in May, at least where we went.

Summer and Fall is warmer, the salmon are running, more active wildlife, but you may also have a lot more rain. Prices may be higher as it is prime time, but you might find a good price after the kids go back to school.

Depends on what is important to you.

I always go either the first or second cruise of the season before Memorial Day for several reasons: (1) the price sometimes is less, (2) school is not yet out in a lot of places so not as many families as there would be later, (3) the snow and the glaciers are still very fresh and pristine. It is a wonderful cruise. I am looking at booking The Jewel out of Seattle in late May.

We have done the same and loved it both times. Only "problem" was that it was a bit disappointing as it was too early to see many bears. Other than that: fantastic!!!

We went end of July and loved it. The salmon were running and we saw several bears, eagles, whales, lots and lots of otters and the salmon were close enough to practically touch by the streams in Skagway, Ketchikan and Juneau. We were only really cold when cruising in Glacier Bay, otherwise we were comfortable on ship without jackets during the day and layers at night.

We went end of July and loved it. The salmon were running and we saw several bears, eagles, whales, lots and lots of otters and the salmon were close enough to practically touch by the streams in Skagway, Ketchikan and Juneau. We were only really cold when cruising in Glacier Bay, otherwise we were comfortable on ship without jackets during the day and layers at night.

This sounds like a good time then. I would be very disappointed if I went and didn't see wildlife!

If you can possibly swing it, do a land portion. Started in Fairbanks and worked our way down and onto a southbound cruise. That's when we saw a lot of wildlife and beautiful scenery. Not sure what NCL offers for that, since we went with another line. It's a wonderful trip. Oh, and we went in June.

If you can possibly swing it, do a land portion. Started in Fairbanks and worked our way down and onto a southbound cruise. That's when we saw a lot of wildlife and beautiful scenery. Not sure what NCL offers for that, since we went with another line. It's a wonderful trip. Oh, and we went in June.

We did a land/cruise package with the in-laws in June, and it was an awesome trip. Weather was a little warmer than the locals were used to, but we got to see plenty of wildlife and scenery. Alaska is absolutely beautiful!!

We just returned from our Alaskan cruise on September 20th. We went expecting rain and more rain and cool temps. What we got was sunshine and more sunshine and warm temps. From what we heard every port we were in was that they were having the best weather they had experienced in weeks. I think we just lucked out. We went prepared to be wet and cool and we were dry and warm. Our rain jackets never even came out of the pouch. I had to come out of my layers several days in a row. It is beautiful in Alaska so what ever weather you get go and enjoy the scenery and prepare for wet.

Our Alaska Cruise ended Sept 15th. We experienced the same weather wise. We chose early Sept to be off-peak, while most schools are in session and to start the week after Labor Day due to my wife's work vacation stipulations. However, in retrospect, I think I would have preferred the very first cruise of the season, April or early May, whatever it might be. Most of the reasons we picked would still have been true, but as www3traveler mentions, I think we would have gotten to see more snow. All the snow/ice we saw was only on mountain tops and of course the glaciers themselves.

I did Alaska the last week in May a few years ago and saw whales, bears, eagles and deer (not sure of the specific breed/type). Southbound from Anchorage to Vancouver.

The weather was fabulous - we had no rain and by the time we got to Skagway we had no need for coats. It wasn't warm enough to be swimming in the pools on the ship but I did see the hot tubs put to use.

Been to Alaska lots and worked as a NPS Ranger... let me comment

Each month brings different features and each different negatives....

Here is a quick synopsis:

May...... Best for landscape viewing, and glacier viewing, small crowds, few kids, cool weather but few bugs.

June - July- August. Crowd time, tons of bugs, tons of kids, snow melt and starting to dirty up good for river running wild life out and about Changeable weather daily Late sun set like 11pm

September- First frost, few bugs, few kids end of salmon run, LOTS of wild life stocking up on berries and fish. Fall colors begin, warm days chilly nights

snow all soiled much gone on mt peaks Lower crowds

Now you pick what you want.

Suggestion on cabins..... don't waste money on a veranda or outside, get an inside for the simple reason it will get you out on deck to take in the whole specter. There is no way a person in their veranda can have the sheer scope of vision that being on deck provides... Save money for shore exploration

My opinion of best... Juneau.... helo to ice fields and take a glacier hike

Sitka..... viit the National park .

Ketchikan... float plane to Misty Fjords

Have fun..... remember the weather that someone experienced last year or last week will most chances be different, Wear good leather hiking boots, Long micro fibre zip leg mountain pants, Micro fibre long sleve shirt have a pair of rain pants/anorak in a stuff bag... Layer if you have polypro underwear... weat it. A pile pullover. Stow the suit dresses

We did this cruise the last week of the cruise season so mid Sept. We had fabulous weather and spent so much time on the balcony we couldn't believe it.

On land we dressed in layers and peeled them off as the day got warmer.

Also all the shops are discounted 40/50% off so we bought half dozen vacuum packed salmon which was amazing.

Really, there isn't a 'bad' time to sail to Alaska. But for each month there are pros and cons, so it all depends on what you're looking for.

I see from your second post that you're thinking about end of August and I think that would be nearly ideal.

Have a great time!

Thank you everyone for your opinions. We are thinking of taking the last cruise in August 2015. It's a celebration for my, ugh, 60th birthday. Of course we want great weather and lot's of wildlife.

IMHO, if you're gonna wait until the end of August, you might as well push it back into September, after Labor Day. For sure, most kids will have to be back at school, and it is after the "summer tourist travel season". Often lower rates and less of a crowd.

Been to Alaska lots and worked as a NPS Ranger... let me comment

Each month brings different features and each different negatives....

Here is a quick synopsis:

May...... Best for landscape viewing, and glacier viewing, small crowds, few kids, cool weather but few bugs.

June - July- August. Crowd time, tons of bugs, tons of kids, snow melt and starting to dirty up good for river running wild life out and about Changeable weather daily Late sun set like 11pm

September- First frost, few bugs, few kids end of salmon run, LOTS of wild life stocking up on berries and fish. Fall colors begin, warm days chilly nights

snow all soiled much gone on mt peaks Lower crowds

Now you pick what you want.

Suggestion on cabins..... don't waste money on a veranda or outside, get an inside for the simple reason it will get you out on deck to take in the whole specter. There is no way a person in their veranda can have the sheer scope of vision that being on deck provides... Save money for shore exploration

My opinion of best... Juneau.... helo to ice fields and take a glacier hike

Sitka..... viit the National park .

Ketchikan... float plane to Misty Fjords

Have fun..... remember the weather that someone experienced last year or last week will most chances be different, Wear good leather hiking boots, Long micro fibre zip leg mountain pants, Micro fibre long sleve shirt have a pair of rain pants/anorak in a stuff bag... Layer if you have polypro underwear... weat it. A pile pullover. Stow the suit dresses

Super summary. What do you think is the best in Icy Strait Point?

As others have said it depends on what your priorities are. There's no time where someone can tell you what the weather will be like--it's unpredictable. That said, we've gone once in June and twice in August and had beautiful weather every time. A little rain here and there--but, you're an Oregonian like me; a little rain shouldn't dampen your enjoyment. :D We had mostly really nice weather.

In August we've gone bear viewing to Anan Creek and it was amazing! But, in June you may catch King salmon. The only time I've seen glaciers calving significantly was in June. Saw tons of Orcas in June and tons of humpbacks in August. What is it you want to do and see? Figure out your priorities and then you'll know when to go (other than weather).

Alaska is amazing. Have a wonderful time!! :D

Also meant to say if there's every a time to spring for a balcony cabin, it's an Alaska cruise! I wouldn't even think of cruising Alaska in an inside or OV cabin. We spend a lot of time on the balcony when we cruise Alaska and would have missed whales, eagles, moose and some gorgeous scenery if we hadn't had our balconies.

Some of our favorite experiences have been bear viewing (float plane trip to Anan Creek) and salmon fishing. Catamaran trip in Tracy Arm was a highlight. We also rafted down the Mendenhall and had a blast. We ate amazing King crab at Tracey's Crab Shack in Juneau. We rented a car in Skagway and drove into the Yukon (we've also done the train but it's too slow-paced for us; we were bored). There are so many other experiences to be had in Alaska...

Enjoy!!