New to MSC, & considering a 1st cruise, Have a few questions

axelskater

Hi everyone, I am new to MSC and to this section of CC; I am considering the possibility of a voyage next spring or fall.

I noticed one prolific poster here has a QM2 avatar, and I was wondering if there are other Cunard pax out there?

My last 13 trips have been Queen Mary 2, and the last 7 of those PG/QG. Can anyone give me a fair assessment of Yacht Club comparison to PG/QG? I suggested a Divina voyage and my husband said he thought we might disappointed. (I guess once you get used to something it's hard to change :rolleyes:) I told him YC was half of the QG cost and he seemed a bit more interested then. The main difference I can see is no ballroom dance on MSC? We would miss that. But it looks like there is other entertainment. I think the other main difference is QM2 is 150,000 with 2500 pax and Divina is 140,000 with ...is it 4000? That worries me a bit, but they make the Yacht Club sound so nice and welcoming, I am leaning to maybe trying it. Yes, I am completely at the mercy of the marketing.

Can anyone who has done both give me thoughts. I LOVE Qm2 but may want to try something this once. It's quite alright if your thoughts on both are subjective since after all, I want your real opinion ;)

Thank you, it may not seem like a big decision but it is !

I've no experience of Cunard or YC but can tell you there is ball room dancing on MSC ships. They may not have a formal ballroom but there are various venues with live music catering for different types of dancing.

axelskater:-

I think the other main difference is QM2 is 150,000 with 2500 pax and Divina is 140,000 with ...is it 4000? That worries me a bit, but they make the Yacht Club sound so nice and welcoming, I am leaning to maybe trying it. Yes, I am completely at the mercy of the marketing.

You won't notice the other 3700 guests as the yacht club is almost totally isolated from them, that is if you just stay in the YC enviroment.

THe YC is fabulous but it is worth venturing out into the rest of the ship which is stunning as well.

The shows I saw were magnificent (on an E med cruise).

I've never been on Cunard so can't compare, but what you get in the YC for a relatively inexpensive luxury cruise is worth sampling at least once!!!

Pete

Just want to continue the previously posted idea before posting my impressions of both ships.

..."stay in YC environment"...

Let's be realistic. MSC does not provide "luxury cruises".

What is YC environment?

Observation lounge with all day long availability of snacks and sweets and a bar with included drinks - think of enlarged Commodore club with added service (IMO the only really notable part of YC - we liked it).

A sun deck with a small shallow pool.

A small buffet on the sun deck.

A separate lobby - a nice two decks high atrium with a sparkling staircase.

That's it.

This is an enclave on a very crowded ship where kids sail free.

Add a dedicated dining room (Todd English level) on the opposite end of the ship.

So I don't think "environment" is a right word for YC.

You'll find most detailed YC guide in My MSC Divina Review.

My vision: I will choose an inside cabin on a Cunard ship over any YC suite any time.

Why?

Because of the real environment - Cunard environment, because of the rest of the ship with first class amenities - the whole ship where enclaves are not needed.

Why not needed?

Because the ship provides quality product for all passengers from inside cabin to QG.

You noticed passenger ratio. Yes, the QM2 cannot be compared to anything else.

You won't find anything close to QM2 beautiful promenade deck and observation deck on the Divina.

Nothing is close to Queen's Room ball room and afternoon tea experience (even in YC).

The Divina is lacking axial planning, so many passages are crooked and confusing.

No a single fresh flower on a ship.

Most cabins and balconies in YC are significantly smaller than QG and PG. Aft suites balconies on the QE are different planet.

Nothing like QM2 duplexes is available.

You won't find a hydropool in spa on the Divina...

There will be various live music performers in bars and loungers, but only canned music in the theater - nothing close to 18-20 parties in Royal Court Theatre orchestra.

However...

Why not try something different?

Less than satisfactory food on the Divina can be a no-go factor, but you will be in YC - no problem with food at all. These 4% of passengers are taken special care of.

You'll see dance floors - as on any cruise ship.

The ship features a few spectacular public rooms (I will post photos in my Divina Interiors Tour). The decor is quite glitzy but sometimes very interesting.

We cruised on the Divina for Caribbean sun and had plenty of it on a $$ sun deck and in pools while in ports. YC sun deck was dead boring.

We really enjoyed some of the spectacular shows before they became repetitive.

The QM2 ocean liner is my favorite ship and I don't refer to her other than The Queen of All Ships (I have no favorite cruise lines).

We saw the QM2 just a few days ago - she followed our ship in the ocean at night, then we witnessed the whole process of QM2 docking at Pier 88 - BREATHTAKING! (From Page 7 > Post #128 on)

But we cruise on all cruise lines - the whole spectrum from Cunard to MSC - and always find good things on any ship.

As a Cunard past passenger I can tell you: you can safely try a cruise on the Divina if you book the right cabin in YC (please see my MSC Divina Guide - Page 9 > Post #164 on ) and choose an itinerary with more port days.

Enjoy your cruise!

Edited by cruisetrail

Thank you everyone for your information! I can tell this line has some dedicated fans as I have been looking at the boards here.

Thank you Cruisetrail for the candor - I think you could have stopped at..."kids sail free";)

I definitely have not been used to seeing more than a dozen children on any Cunard voyage I have sailed on, though my mom and I sometimes do Disney because we are fans of the Disney brand. My husband and I have been doing QM2 only though.

I really do appreciate your love for the QM2, I feel the same way about her. Every time I step on board, I step back in time, and I think that is just part of the package. After my first voyage (on which we were lucky enough to hear the amazing Bill Miller) I fell in love with ocean liners, and Mickey Arison had it right when he felt a whole new generation of people would fall in love with the "Golden Age of travel". Where else can you get regularly scheduled TA service? My husband and I skew the Cunard age average as we're usually two of the youngest on board, but after my first voyage I bought every book I could find on ocean liners, Cunard, crossings, etc. This past Christmas I surprised my husband with a trip to Long Beach to see the original QM. It was bittersweet but I am glad we went to see it.

I did look at every page of your review for the Divina with great interest, even before I posted my question. I noticed the smaller size of the cabins (though I have never been lucky enough to be in a duplex!) compared to QG. I could not see that any of the suites had more than one bathroom or a powder room either. I even looked at the wine lists you posted, etc. The YC wine list looks good though the regular bar wine list was lacking. The other areas of the ship and the extra restaurants look like fun, but I am guessing very crowded. I am excited to see more of the interiors as you post them.

I appreciate you posting about the "little things" like the Royal Court orchestra playing for all shows, and the fresh flowers everywhere - another of the things we have obviously been spoiled by. I also love visiting the kennels on board QM2 - it is so fun to watch the dogs play while you are on an ocean voyage.

Thank you for the frankness, the Divina looks like a great ship, though I believe my mom and I might be the ones to try MSC, since she and I have a different vibe on vacation than when it's myself with my husband, and it looks like QM2 better suits us, for now.

We board her in just 11 days, for a 12 day Canada/ New England visit. Can't wait to be back on board, and in the meantime, here are two pictures you might like, courtesy of the talented QM2 florists, and Commodore Rynd

1427180153_QM2flowers2.jpg.c2476ea59290829cdf9f1d069cdc20e5.jpg

583853844_QM2Schnoz.jpg.313af7f7c454e312735fa9244f0c247e.jpg

If you can go with an open mind, I would say try it.

I haven't stayed in Yacht Club but I have seen it close up by virtue of being invited to parties in a Yacht Club suite, dining in the Yacht Club restaurant and seen first hand just how much the YC butlers add to YC guests' experience.

Our CC friend, 'All Aboard?', threw a couple of parties in his YC suite on the Fantasia. He merely told his butler what time and how many to expect (13 of us) and the butler did the rest. Trolleys of finger food and free-flowing wine and champagne arrived. He would ask his butler to meet him at the main pool with with bathrobe after swimming, arrange private tours and lead him personally off the ship to the waiting car, take his dinner jacket away after dining, etc. etc. So it appears a major part of the value of YC is your butler! I know that Pete (above) is not the only one on these boards that swear by Yacht Club.

Sadly, I have no experience of Cunard's grill classes having only travelled 'steerage' on the QE2.

However from my perspective of having experienced both lines, I would say that MSC is very different to Cunard. MSC is over-the-top Italian-themed (food, wine, music, decor) and English will usually be a minority language aboard. Some concessions have been made to the U.S. market aboard the Divina but it will be quite a different experience to Cunard.

Many of the negative reviews of MSC here come from people who appear to have had their expectations set by U.S. cruise lines and MSC proves too much of a culture shock for them. At least that is my reading of them. The typical complaints serve to highlight the differences between the U.S. and the rest of the World: no iced water, iced tea or iced anything for that matter in the MDRs, no coffee in the MDRs, unfriendly/rude staff (they are trained to be discreet and not fake-friendly), not having or knowing how to cook X where X is can be a whole range of U.S. restaurant staples not generally found outside the U.S., no queuing (Southern Europeans don't queue in line), staff not speaking English, no quizzes, etc. etc.. In other words all the type of things that people who have not immersed themselves in cultures other than their own are likely to say as soon as they step out of their own cultural bubble for the first time.

So yes, try it but only if you are happy to have a cultural and cruise experience quite unlike Cunard's. At half the price, I would jump at it.

Thank you everyone for your information! I can tell this line has some dedicated fans as I have been looking at the boards here.

Thank you Cruisetrail for the candor - I think you could have stopped at..."kids sail free";)

I definitely have not been used to seeing more than a dozen children on any Cunard voyage I have sailed on, though my mom and I sometimes do Disney because we are fans of the Disney brand. My husband and I have been doing QM2 only though.

I really do appreciate your love for the QM2, I feel the same way about her. Every time I step on board, I step back in time, and I think that is just part of the package. After my first voyage (on which we were lucky enough to hear the amazing Bill Miller) I fell in love with ocean liners, and Mickey Arison had it right when he felt a whole new generation of people would fall in love with the "Golden Age of travel". Where else can you get regularly scheduled TA service? My husband and I skew the Cunard age average as we're usually two of the youngest on board, but after my first voyage I bought every book I could find on ocean liners, Cunard, crossings, etc. This past Christmas I surprised my husband with a trip to Long Beach to see the original QM. It was bittersweet but I am glad we went to see it.

I did look at every page of your review for the Divina with great interest, even before I posted my question. I noticed the smaller size of the cabins (though I have never been lucky enough to be in a duplex!) compared to QG. I could not see that any of the suites had more than one bathroom or a powder room either. I even looked at the wine lists you posted, etc. The YC wine list looks good though the regular bar wine list was lacking. The other areas of the ship and the extra restaurants look like fun, but I am guessing very crowded. I am excited to see more of the interiors as you post them.

I appreciate you posting about the "little things" like the Royal Court orchestra playing for all shows, and the fresh flowers everywhere - another of the things we have obviously been spoiled by. I also love visiting the kennels on board QM2 - it is so fun to watch the dogs play while you are on an ocean voyage.

Thank you for the frankness, the Divina looks like a great ship, though I believe my mom and I might be the ones to try MSC, since she and I have a different vibe on vacation than when it's myself with my husband, and it looks like QM2 better suits us, for now.

We board her in just 11 days, for a 12 day Canada/ New England visit. Can't wait to be back on board, and in the meantime, here are two pictures you might like, courtesy of the talented QM2 florists, and Commodore Rynd

You are the expert when it comes to you, and your travel companions thoughts!

Since you asked for other opinions, let me give you ours, about 8 years ago, we found the QM2 uncomfortable not because of the ship which was very comfortable, but because of the passengers, we found to many of them 'over the top pretentious'!

We also found the QM2 comfortable, but boring, reminding us of the snoozing cruisers on HAL where you'd could envision crew members jostling sleeping cruisers just to make sure they were still alive!:D

Joking aside, the QM2 has the space ratio no other cruise ship offers, is an elegant ship, is an older, mostly English speaking crowd, where the dress code is stricter then any ship we've been on, (much stricter), and you do pay quite a bit more for these wants/desires if that is what yo're looking for!

It just wasn't our cup of tea!

We disembarked Divina yesterday. Didn't sail in YC. I'll just say that children were not a problem on our cruise at all. I think it really depends on the time of year that you sail. Avoid the 'J' months and Holidays. Also-MSC has stepped up the pricing on Divina by introducing their 'experience' pricing model so that will change the passenger mix a bit. (but we had nothing but great experiences with everyone we met).

Please keep in mind that there is a definite question as to whether or not Cruisetrail ever actually SAILED on The Divina. As I have never sailed on Cunard or the Yacht Club, I can't comment on the differences. But MANY on this board feel that Cruisetrail only enjoyed a tour of the ship, not an actual sailing.

I think this is an 'apples vs. oranges' question. Each cruise line offers a totally different product. Even comparing YC to Cunard is a vastly different product. Each ship was designed and built for a different purpose.

I think this is an 'apples vs. oranges' question. Each cruise line offers a totally different product. Even comparing YC to Cunard is a vastly different product. Each ship was designed and built for a different purpose.

Totally agree with you, there is no wrong, just what you are looking for, and getting what you want!:)

We'd be interested in your reviewing a comparison between the Divina, and your future Celebrity cruise!:)

Totally agree with you, there is no wrong, just what you are looking for, and getting what you want!:)

We'd be interested in your reviewing a comparison between the Divina, and your future Celebrity cruise!:)

Well, that wont be a fair comparison as the upcoming Celebrity cruise is an all Gay charter. :P

Thanks for the pictures.

Enjoy your cruise on the Queen of All Ships and don't forget to try the YC sometime in the future!

Thanks everyone! I appreciate you taking the time to give me your opinions. I know there isn't really a way of "comparison" as one ship is a purpose-built liner sailing mostly TA and the other a cruise ship, but I have a better idea of what to expect now.

I guess at heart we're boring travelers :rolleyes: since one above poster is right -QM2 is an older crowd and a sedate ship. I know tea dances, lectures on "The Golden Age" of travel, & the RADA aren't for everyone our age!

My husband and I will stick to the QM2 for now but my mom & I are going to keep watching the CC boards and learning more about the MSC ships and the YC. One confusing thing which someone mentioned above - this new "price structure". It seems a bit confusing with cabins, drinks, etc. I do think she would like the experience of the YC though, and I hope as more people experience it they post more information about it, as well as the restaurants.

Skipper Tom,

You have rather dim view of Southern Europeans. They are as sophisticated as we Americans are, and their expectations on a cruise are very similar. I have had experiences on European cruise lines and quite frankly, good food is good food. Unfamiliar food down well is still good food. I expect nothing more than that. As a first generation Italian/American, I don't particularly agree with the way you make reference to Southern Europeans like they are so different.

Thanks everyone! I appreciate you taking the time to give me your opinions. I know there isn't really a way of "comparison" as one ship is a purpose-built liner sailing mostly TA and the other a cruise ship, but I have a better idea of what to expect now.

I guess at heart we're boring travelers :rolleyes: since one above poster is right -QM2 is an older crowd and a sedate ship. I know tea dances, lectures on "The Golden Age" of travel, & the RADA aren't for everyone our age!

My husband and I will stick to the QM2 for now but my mom & I are going to keep watching the CC boards and learning more about the MSC ships and the YC. One confusing thing which someone mentioned above - this new "price structure". It seems a bit confusing with cabins, drinks, etc. I do think she would like the experience of the YC though, and I hope as more people experience it they post more information about it, as well as the restaurants.

The "Yacht Club" experience is no change from what it used to be

the big difference is the Aurea experience where the add-ins ( which you can't say don't include and lower the price please) are the AI package and 1 Spa treatment. This has affected me as I wanted a "suite" (Their name for it not mine)on deck 12 of MSC SInfonia and have to have the the Aurea package but have no desire to use the Spa (I had the same suite last year ). The AI package is what i wanted but, as it is now included it impacts on my on board spend and then that lowers the number of points I get in the MSC Club So I'll be nearly 3 points worse off

Edited by Skier52

The AI package is what i wanted but, as it is now included it impacts on my on board spend and then that lowers the number of points I get in the MSC Club So I'll be nearly 3 points worse off

Therein lies the crux, Pete. I don't like to see these AIs being part of the cruise price for that very reason. Also, like you say, there are "benefits" included which may not be a benefit at all if you haven't any interest in them. I'm with you on the spa inclusions.

I've mentioned it on these boards and elsewhere that I'd like to see the loyalty points relate to the price you pay for your cruise - on the smaller ships a balcony cabin or suite is often twice the price of an inside yet the same number of points are awarded. Now with the Allegrissimo as part of the Aurea Experience someone in an inside cabin with an Allegrissimo package is going to get a lot more points for a lot less money than someone paying the (ridiculous, I think) Aurea prices.

Also, if the points related to price, it would also be some consolation for those who may pay more for their cruise than others as they would at least gain with extra points.

Bytheway, have a fabulous cruise - I'm envious. It wasn't offered here at the price you got :mad: You were sooo right to go for it.

Edited by Beamafar

Skipper Tom,

You have rather dim view of Southern Europeans. They are as sophisticated as we Americans are, and their expectations on a cruise are very similar. I have had experiences on European cruise lines and quite frankly, good food is good food. Unfamiliar food down well is still good food. I expect nothing more than that. As a first generation Italian/American, I don't particularly agree with the way you make reference to Southern Europeans like they are so different.

Just reread Tim's post (no. 6) and I can't see where he is criticising Southern Europeans. He's pointing out is over the top Italian in theme and can be different from what people only used to US lines expect. He didn't criticise the food, just said that something's you get at home, you won't get on MSC (like Iced tea, unless you're on the Divina)

Edited by AmoMondo

Bytheway, have a fabulous cruise - I'm envious. It wasn't offered here at the price you got :mad: You were sooo right to go for it.

Thanks for the good wishes

I intend to have a fabulous cruise

Pete

Edited by Skier52

Just reread Tim's post (no. 6) and I can't see where he is criticising Southern Europeans. He's pointing out is over the top Italian in theme and can be different from what people only used to US lines expect. He didn't criticise the food, just said that something's you get at home, you won't get on MSC (like Iced tea, unless you're on the Divina)

Amo, I just re-read Tim's post, and unfortunately, I used the word "criticizing." In my response. I agree, he was pointing out differences. But I still maintain that the expectations of the majority of cruisers are the same. All I want to do when I cruise is to have a good time and meet interesting people. In that respect I'm certain the Divina won't disappoint.

Ciao,

Alberto

Skipper Tom,

I did not mean to offend. I was merely referencing an issue that many complain about on this forum.

I understand the differences in queuing etiquette. I could write a book on it. What I find interesting is the ceaseless complaints on the issue. I have lived in Spain, Italy, Greece and Turkey as well as all over the UK and my own native Yorkshire:). When I say sophisticated queuing, I mean it. I have observed it.

Elsewhere, I will try to find it, I wrote about how sophisticated Southern Europeans queue. I learned this first hand in my bank in Spain and smiled ever since those who prefer to wait in line, regardless, complain about other nationalities "pushing in". They simply don't know or appreciate the subtleties.

My dry sense of humour is mixed up with my honest observations and I can easily give the wrong impression. I apologise. I am not sure myself often.

All I meant is that there is more than one way to queue and it may not be waiting in line.

You are blessed if you have a Southern European background. I wish I had. I learned these insignificant things relatively late. I was trying to point out the rest of the World's misunderstandings, not add to them.

Edited by Skipper Tim