Sunshine - cabin lights and cabin door questions

GeorgiaMomof4

For those of you who are familiar with the Sunshine -

I've read that you have to use some type of card to turn the lights on in your cabin. Can anyone explain how that works for me - do you use your sail and sign or should you bring another type card with you?

I'd kind of like to decorate my cabin door so it will be easier for my kids to find but I need to know what type of door it is. Could I use glue dots or should I use the gel things that stick to doors. We are on Deck 5 aft in some of the

"new" cabins.

Thanks!

We were on deck 5 aft in an OV a few weeks ago. You use your sail and sign card to activate the lights while you are in the room.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Laxmom34 - Thanks for the info! Regarding the lights - so you have to use your sail and sign to activate them when you come in, so I'm assuming you use it again when you want them off? That seems strange to me - I wonder why no switches?

Which cabin were you in? Did you have any problem with the a/c? I've been reading that the Sunshine runs warm and I can't sleep in a warm room so I've been stressing just a little.

Did you like the location of your cabin? It's going to seem strange to me to not have a long hallway of rooms like we normally do.

Any other tips you might be able to give us? What about shows? We are waitlisted for early dining so we may end up with late. Would we still be able to catch the shows if we wanted to?

Laxmom34 - Thanks for the info! Regarding the lights - so you have to use your sail and sign to activate them when you come in, so I'm assuming you use it again when you want them off? That seems strange to me - I wonder why no switches?

Which cabin were you in? Did you have any problem with the a/c? I've been reading that the Sunshine runs warm and I can't sleep in a warm room so I've been stressing just a little.

Did you like the location of your cabin? It's going to seem strange to me to not have a long hallway of rooms like we normally do.

Any other tips you might be able to give us? What about shows? We are waitlisted for early dining so we may end up with late. Would we still be able to catch the shows if we wanted to?

Using the card means that the lights will be off if no one is in the room. (many hotels now use this method too.) Thus supposedly less energy being wasted and the bulbs will supposedly last longer.

AND it may also shut off the A/C so that the room may take a while to cool down after you have been out of it for a while.

I have also heard that the card in the slot also is registered in the Steward's area so that the cabin steward knows when you are in the room.

But supposedly it is for energy conservation.

Any card that fits works. The lights will only work as long as a card is in the switch near the door. Once you remove the card the lights go out after a delay.

DSC_3045.JPG

Using the card means that the lights will be off if no one is in the room. (many hotels now use this method too.) Thus supposedly less energy being wasted and the bulbs will supposedly last longer.

AND it may also shut off the A/C so that the room may take a while to cool down after you have been out of it for a while.

I have also heard that the card in the slot also is registered in the Steward's area so that the cabin steward knows when you are in the room.

But supposedly it is for energy conservation.

Only the lights, no impact on ventilation.

We were in 5316, we did not have any issues with with the room being too warm. I like it cool and it was just fine for me. I liked the location. We had a fridge in our room too. It was a very quite area. Visit the taste bar there are many tasty treats throughout the cruise. They also serve a lite breakfast. Ocean plaza is very near your room and has many great activities, the alchemy bar has great drinks and the Fred Frog Pub has pub trivia every evening which we enjoyed. Great cheesecake (under $2) at The Shake Spot. All of these areas are close to your room.

We had late dining it was perfect for us. We go into port as early as we can and like to relax after coming back, then have late dinner.

The shows are twice per night so you can see them if you have early or late dinner seating. The comedians were good, the venue is small get there early. The Hasbro game show was fun to watch and so is the Newlywed game.

Have a great time!

For those of you who are familiar with the Sunshine -

I've read that you have to use some type of card to turn the lights on in your cabin. Can anyone explain how that works for me - do you use your sail and sign or should you bring another type card with you?

I'd kind of like to decorate my cabin door so it will be easier for my kids to find but I need to know what type of door it is. Could I use glue dots or should I use the gel things that stick to doors. We are on Deck 5 aft in some of the

"new" cabins.

Thanks!

You can use any card...it doesn't have to be S&S card...I used a piece of cardboard and just left it in the slot the entire cruise and just flipped the switch off when I exited the room.

Others have posted that it's better to use a different card than your S&S card. One posted that their spouse was in the bathroom showering and the person in the cabin wanted to go get something outside of the cabin. They left and took their card so that they could get back in. The lights then went out. When the person came out of the bathroom, they had to try to find their card in the dark to get the lights back on again.

Another person posted that they left the cabin while another person was in there and their card was in the slot. The other person in the cabin then left and when the first person came back, their card was inside the cabin and they couldn't get in. Seems like it's better to use a different card.

I had no idea any if the ships required use of the SAS card to turn on lights. Thank you for starting this thread. I would be one of those people.... The one in the shower, that is. I will remember to keep the card from my hotel stay so I can leave it in the slot. 😄

Speaking of "new" cabins, how can I determine whether I am booked into one?

When we used a different card to leave a light on, I hate coming back to a dark room, house, etc, our steward removed it and left it on the vanity. He said they are technically supposed to do that if you are not there. Not all stewards do it, but you may get one who does. After a while we just used our S&S cards...it was just as easy. Just remember if you are leaving take yours and have the other person staying behind put theirs in the slot.

I had no idea any if the ships required use of the SAS card to turn on lights. Thank you for starting this thread. I would be one of those people.... The one in the shower, that is. I will remember to keep the card from my hotel stay so I can leave it in the slot.

Speaking of "new" cabins, how can I determine whether I am booked into one?

I didn't know either until I read it on here! I'm afraid I'll be one of "those" people too so I'm trying to plan ahead.

I think all the cabins on Deck 5 are new - not sure about the others. Ask on here - I'm sure someone knows.

Does the card in the slot also control the bathroom light? If you have to get up at night to use the bathroom, I wouldn't want to turn all the cabin lights on just to use the bathroom.

The card switch is the master light control. All the lights still have individual control. Only turn on the one(s) you want.

• 6 months later...
When we used a different card to leave a light on

Can you be more specific on the type of other card used? Like a used Visa or MC gift card? I assume there is no need for a magnetic strip on the card, as someone said they used a piece of cardboard...

Can you be more specific on the type of other card used? Like a used Visa or MC gift card? I assume there is no need for a magnetic strip on the card, as someone said they used a piece of cardboard...

We used our hotel key cards on Breeze and Magic. The card does not have to have a mag strip. We've seen stateroom stewards use folded up Fun Times.

Others have posted that it's better to use a different card than your S&S card. One posted that their spouse was in the bathroom showering and the person in the cabin wanted to go get something outside of the cabin. They left and took their card so that they could get back in. The lights then went out. When the person came out of the bathroom, they had to try to find their card in the dark to get the lights back on again.

Gosh, that must have been no fun! :eek:

Seems like the bathroom lights would have gone off as well ....

Probably best to use a different card!

LuLu