first time in an inside cabin...what to expect

tripman

I have not cruised an inside cabin yet, but we are considering it once a year. We are have cruised balconies.....loved it. But in order to cruise more than once a year, we will have to take the less expensive cabin. I'll do it to be cruising more often. Like you said..a cruise is a cruise, and we'll spend more time doing other things on the ship if we're forced to leave our cabin.

Happy cruising!

I'll admit that to me an inside is not as nice as a balcony, but if it allows me to cruise more often, I will occasionally take one. My first inside was a last minute, very inexpensive 10 day Panama Canal cruise for which only insides were available. It was the best cruise I've ever taken. I'm going to repeat that cruise again in December and this time I have a spectacular bumpout balcony. Unless you have unlimited funds, and most people don't, booking an inside, at least occasionally, makes it possible to spend more days at sea.

I respect that someone said she'd rather stay home than take an inside room --- and if that's how she feels, I guess she should stay home --- but I don't understand that. Home vs a cruise? Nah, I don't get it at all. A cruise is a cruise is a cruise. Yes, it's nice to sit on your private balcony and watch the ocean, but it's also very nice to sit on the promenade and be among people rather than holed up in your room, also. To each his own.

I've been in them all from inside to Sun Class mini which is really a suite.

A cruise is a cruise is a cruise.

Last summer we were in an inside on the Star and this summer we had a cat BB double balcony on the Grand, both grand-class ships.

We found the inside to have a bigger closet and longer bathroom counter. The light from under the door provided enough light to walk around the cabin without bumping into anything. We found a great spots around the adult pool with views of the wake and proximity to the bar. The itinerary was all day port-intensive. One of our best cruises!

Nothing compares to breakfast on your balcony even if you're staring at another ship! While we were in port everyday, we were usually back by three or four and spent an enjoyable few hours on the balcony before dinner.

I don't know if I've helped you but I think it's all an attitude thing. Make the best with what you have. The ship certainly provides enough venues to do so. Enjoy!

Not to be gross, but one negative of an inside is the lack of fresh air. A few days walking around in the sun and your t-shirts and athletic shoes start to announce their presence when you walk in.

But like everything else on board ship, this is no more than a minor annoyance.

I personally couldn't do an inside. AFter spending some time in my kids inside cabins I always have to leave as I get somewhat claustrophoic in there and I feel the movement of the ship more. My kids however, LOVE, the inside cabins and on all 6 cruises they've had one and on 4 of them refused when we offered to upgrade them a balcony cabin! We did find on our last Princess cruise that their inside never cooled off as much as our cabin did.

The last poster is correct though, you can smell sweaty tennis shoes (especially if they've been caught in the rain!) after a few days in the inside due to lack of fresh air!!!!! Of course if you don't have teenage boys with you, you hopefully won't have this problem.

I'm heartened to see so many defenders of inside cabins. As with so many topics on this board, this ultimately comes down to your own likes and dislikes. So if you're already considering it, chances are you'll be fine with an inside.

We're traveling inside Sun in January. Parents will have a balcony. But when they fly back home into the snow and cold of Cleveland, we'll be in our rental car heading down to Key West for five more days of warm bliss. We're spending the same amount...only they're spending their hard-earned cash on a balcony. We're spending our on extended warmth.

Not to be gross, but one negative of an inside is the lack of fresh air. A few days walking around in the sun and your t-shirts and athletic shoes start to announce their presence when you walk in.

But like everything else on board ship, this is no more than a minor annoyance.

I haven't had a problem with this as yet, but it does remind me to pack a small aerosol can of Ozium before my upcoming Carnival cruise in YES-30-Days! Ozium removes odors from the air rather than covering them up. I love it. Available at Kmart and Walmart, sometimes in the automotive section.

We will be in our first inside cabin in 3 weeks! The other 2 have been balconies but the pocket book said inside this time. I plan on bringing a few tropical decorations to brighten the place up! Also - others in our group have balconies so we will just spend a lot of time with them or their balcony - I should say! ;)

One thing I am kind of confused about - the fresh air thing?? We have been in the balcony and never kept the door open so what would be the difference?? Just curious. Plan on bringing some kind of air freshener!

We've had ocean view, balcony, and inside. I love them all. With the inside I really didn't miss the balcony or the window because we weren't in the cabin much. The only problem I had was that I couldn't wake up. It's so nice and dark that even when the alarm went off, I wanted to keep sleeping!

We have never had trouble with odors in any cabins. I think the ships have some sort of "negative" air pressure. Things dry very quickly. If you leave a balcony door open for too long, your cabin will become very humid! :eek: Also it screws with the air conditioning of course. :(

I really am sorry, but I am an engineer, and if you know an engineer, you know they can't pass up an opportunity to talk about science.

It isn't really negative air pressure, it is just lower than the outside air pressure. If you were to measure the pressure difference between the outside to the inside, you would a negative reading, but if you measured from inside to outside, you'd get a positive reading.

Again, I am sorry...just love talking about science

First cruise: inside. Second cruise: balcony. Third cruise 3 wks ago: obstructed view.

We used our balcony so little, that we really didn't miss it...on the go too much. And we loved the inside. It's great for sleeping. Our TA talked us into the obstructed view...I said I'd rather be inside than look at a lifeboat. But our window was between two tenders, so the view was great.

Of the three, sure if the price was the same, I'd take the balcony. But for the cost, the best was the obstructed view (on our cruise, it was the same price as an inside). I could easily take an inside again, though.

I have been on several cruises in the past few years, all with a balcony. I will be in an inside cabin next year for the first time. I will not be disappointed because a cruise is a cruise. But is it difficult to go from a balcony to an inside room?

I just looked today at a 14 day trans atlantic from London to NYC . leaves in 3 weeks .They are offering inside cabins,including all fees and taxes , $2,632 for a couple . Now tips and grog are extra , but remember kids , BYOB is one of those dirty little secrets . You also have to book your airfare pretty quick or that will cost a small fortune . But the basic cruise fare is less than $100.00 per day PP . I can damn near eat 75 bucks worth of food per day . That's pretty cheap to spend 14 days in an asylum where they let you wander around , eat all the food you want , wash your sheets and clean up after your damn self .And no straight jackets , providing you behave . And like the man said , you got a bridge cam . :cool:

Hi , good to hear good things about inside cabins, we just booked our first inside cabin for next March, but it was a better price so we could go. We choose to go . But the tips about the Ozium, the light on in the bathroom, night light and alarm clock and the tv left on are great tips, we will take your advice. We can always hope for an upgrade, but we will be happy no matter what. Thanks all. :)

Cori

Done with insides, but make the best of it! A cruise is a cruise! Remember the cabin is basically the same as an outside or a balcony. You just don't have a view. The previous poster suggested leaving your cabin TV tuned to the bridge cam, that has saved me! You may not know what the weather is but it gives you an idea, cloudy, rainy, overcast that is visble on the web-cam! There is an upside, I am an early riser, I have been known to sleep until 11:00am. in an inside cabin. Just a little tip I learned in an inside, I don't bother with putting out a breakfast card the night before, I just call room service with an order when we wake up! Have a great cruise, actually there are no bad cruises. Phyllis

LOL. You sound like you know my dad. They sailed on a repositioning cruise to Barcelona. Spain and Portugal a few years ago and yes, they had the "cheap seats". But, the way you explain it, I can just see him saying the same thing! Great sense of humor and attitude you have! Two thumbs up!:)

I just looked today at a 14 day trans atlantic from London to NYC . leaves in 3 weeks .They are offering inside cabins,including all fees and taxes , $2,632 for a couple . Now tips and grog are extra , but remember kids , BYOB is one of those dirty little secrets . You also have to book your airfare pretty quick or that will cost a small fortune . But the basic cruise fare is less than $100.00 per day PP . I can damn near eat 75 bucks worth of food per day . That's pretty cheap to spend 14 days in an asylum where they let you wander around , eat all the food you want , wash your sheets and clean up after your damn self .And no straight jackets , providing you behave . And like the man said , you got a bridge cam . :cool:

I really am sorry, but I am an engineer, and if you know an engineer, you know they can't pass up an opportunity to talk about science.

LOL at tripman ---- I can't decide if you are my husband or my son posting under an assumed name. You sound so much like both of them, especially my husband who never lets an opportunity go by to correct a misunderstanding and educate someone in the sciences. Very, very cute - you made me smile this morning!!!!;)

Just a note about leaving the bathroom door open...if its a little rocky, the door will slam shut and scare you half to death while you are sleeping! But like someone above said, usually you can leave the light in the bath on and there is a little strip that peeks out under the door for you to see by. Or leave the t.v. on as mentioned above. Or bring a bright alarm clock. Because it does get deliciously dark. I've had all three types of cabins too and its totally a financial issue. If its $100 more, we get a balcony...if its $300 more pp, we stick with the inside and use the difference for more exciting things. All of the rooms are great.

Our first cruise was an inside cabin...2nd, 3rd and 4th(on 9/3) were/are balcony cabins. When it is just DH and I, it is very nice and worth the extra $$. We have already booked 2 inside cabins on the Glory for 2/18/06 as we are taking the kids and it was a considerable amount more for the balcony rooms. I agree with the other posters, inside cabins are great sleeping!

I agree with Susancruzs, traveling as a single the price difference can be huge. Just booked #30 of which 13 have been insides and 7 obstructed view.

If I had not booked the insides my totals would be way down, and I love to cruise.

When booking an inside I try to get a location close to quick outside deck access. You can do this by getting a cabin above/below the promenade deck near a starcase or being foreward or aft near an open deck. Foreward I like better if sailing Alaks for the views, aft keps you out of the wind when sitting on deck. The lower aft decks are usually pretty empty as everyone is up on the pool decks. Think of them as your large private balconies.

I also keep the bathroom light on with the door closed, like sleeping in the dark but hate waking up in total darkness. The light under the door is enough to give you some orientation in he room.

A cruise in an inside is FAR better than being at home with windows!

Doug

Came back to read this post and it is interesting reading! :-) I've come to the conclusion that insides aren't so bad after all! I did a tally of 17 cruises, I've had 8 outsides, 6 insides and 3 balconies. Very soon to be 19 cruises with 8, 8 and 3, pretty evenly divided! I took 6 cruises with friends, which counts for 3 balconies and 3 outsides! :-)

On the stale air comment, never noticed it and I would have, sensitive sinuses and nose, plus I exercise every day! Twice on RCI, I got caught in the rain during my daily walk so I would have noticed smelly sneakers!!! Everyone knows how small the inside cabins are on RCI's older ships! I don't do air fresheners so I'm not sure I buy the insides being smellier!

Susie

Archived