Entertainment

Tayscot

Having been on two recent Ventura cruises (Jan & Jun this year) we found the entertainment to be largely similar. The Theatre Coy shows were identical and a number of the other acts were the same on both cruises. We are back on Ventura again in December. Can anyone advise how often the Theatre Coy changes shows and were we just unlucky to get quite a few duplicate acts on both cruises ?

Having been on two recent Ventura cruises (Jan & Jun this year) we found the entertainment to be largely similar. The Theatre Coy shows were identical and a number of the other acts were the same on both cruises. We are back on Ventura again in December. Can anyone advise how often the Theatre Coy changes shows and were we just unlucky to get quite a few duplicate acts on both cruises ?

You were fairly unlucky. The Headliners normally change cast every 6 months or so, they have about eight shows in their repertoire so even if you see the same troupe you wouldn't necessarily see the same shows. The other acts vary greatly depending on which artistes are available where and when.

No, you weren't unlucky. They change every 3 years or so. I came back from Azura last week and by and large shows were the same as on Ventura 18 months ago. Regular cruisers with P and O said they had seen the same shows and same entertainers time and time again.

According to the Entertainment Manager (formerly known as the Cruise Director) it was all changing next year.

Unless its a feature cruise featuring them by name as the guest act, a lot of acts wont touch cruise ships - its beneath them so you are stuck with the same ones who need the work, even some look a likes wont do cruise ships!

Production shows are relatively expensive to produce so they do tend to run for a few years to get their money's worth.

Best way to keep things fresh is cruise with more than just P&O, there a quite a few people on here stuck in a P&O rut!

Unless its a feature cruise featuring them by name as the guest act, a lot of acts wont touch cruise ships - its beneath them so you are stuck with the same ones who need the work, even some look a likes wont do cruise ships!

Production shows are relatively expensive to produce so they do tend to run for a few years to get their money's worth.

Best way to keep things fresh is cruise with more than just P&O, there a quite a few people on here stuck in a P&O rut!

Thanks for the replies. I think you have just described us perfectly 'Richleeds'. 19 cruises done and 17 of them with P & O !

Thanks for the replies. I think you have just described us perfectly 'Richleeds'. 19 cruises done and 17 of them with P & O !

I've got friends who are the same, they like what they know, P&O through and through, they have a good cruise but come back after each one, with a look of "same old" in their faces.

They are drawn in by the discounts on drinks for their membership tier etc and I tell them there is a bigger picture!

My humble advice to any P&O regular who might want a change........Celebrity.

I've got friends who are the same, they like what they know, P&O through and through, they have a good cruise but come back after each one, with a look of "same old" in their faces.

They are drawn in by the discounts on drinks for their membership tier etc and I tell them there is a bigger picture!

My humble advice to any P&O regular who might want a change........Celebrity.

Tried Celebrity, not to my taste. I felt very much that I was being processed, very efficiently, but processed. Yes the staff did engage with the passengers, and all had learned the scripts very well.

Cb

Edited by cruisebore

Tried Celebrity, not to my taste. I felt very much that I was being processed, very efficiently, but processed. Yes the staff did engage with the passengers, and all had learned the scripts very well.

Cb

Never felt processed or the staff anything but natural. No scripts.

• 3 months later...

In reply to my own post we have to report that the theatre shows were once again exactly the same as the two previous cruises. We discussed this with the Cruise Director who advised that due to the costs of setting up the theatre company shows mean that P & O are now getting 4 or 5 years out of each show hence our finding the shows exactly the same. Looks like we will be looking for a new cruiseline for the immediate future.

In reply to my own post we have to report that the theatre shows were once again exactly the same as the two previous cruises. We discussed this with the Cruise Director who advised that due to the costs of setting up the theatre company shows mean that P & O are now getting 4 or 5 years out of each show hence our finding the shows exactly the same.

Shame.

In reply to my own post we have to report that the theatre shows were once again exactly the same as the two previous cruises. We discussed this with the Cruise Director who advised that due to the costs of setting up the theatre company shows mean that P & O are now getting 4 or 5 years out of each show hence our finding the shows exactly the same. Looks like we will be looking for a new cruiseline for the immediate future.

You must have an amazing memory to know that the shows were exactly the same. Surely the dancers/singers were different and they would put their own slant on things. I've seen the same titled show three times but only actually remembered parts of it. Just seeing the youngsters putting all that energy into their performance does it for me.

Some people pay to see Les Miserable many times, now all those films are exactly the same! :)

You must have an amazing memory to know that the shows were exactly the same. Surely the dancers/singers were different and they would put their own slant on things. I've seen the same titled show three times but only actually remembered parts of it. Just seeing the youngsters putting all that energy into their performance does it for me.

Some people pay to see Les Miserable many times, now all those films are exactly the same! :)

We have our own cruise diary for each day on each of our 20 cruises over the past 10 years (18 P & O). We therefore know exactly what shows were on each cruise hence knowing that they were the same shows on Ventura on each cruise. This was confirmed by the Cruise Director who advised that the shows have to last a good few years to be cost effective and that indeed the shows had not changed for some years. We have no problems with the energy or quality of the shows and watched some 3 times some twice. We just feel they need to be changed more often.

PS We know it may counteract our argument re the cruise theatre company shows but have to admit that we have seen Les Mis 5 times !!!

Edited by Tayscot

The cast sign up for 6 months, some extend for a second contract.

The shows are so formulated that there isn't any room for an individual artist to put their own individual stamp on their performance.

Also unlike some other lines the show's music is on clic track rather than live orchestra so everything is timed to the last second and there is no room to tweak or change anything.

Hence why you are correct that you feel you have seen the same show before.

I'd recommend Adonia - smaller ship, hence fewer entertainment staff. This may sound like a disadvantage, but I find it isn't. For one thing, they aren't doing the same shows as the bigger ships because they don't have the number of people. For another, there aren't half a dozen identical dancing girls wearing wigs meaning you can't even recognise which one's which. When I was on, there were five singers and dancers who ALL sang and ALL danced, and they were all definite individuals.

Another vote for the Adonia players. I would say they provided the best entertainment we have seen on a P&O ship - 16 cruises - and we thought that those 5 players (three men, two women) were amazing. Not only did they provide muscial singing/dancing shows they also put on two drama performances on sea day afternoons. We have never considered the entertainment when booking a cruise but obviously for some people it's very important.

I'd recommend Adonia - smaller ship, hence fewer entertainment staff. This may sound like a disadvantage, but I find it isn't. For one thing, they aren't doing the same shows as the bigger ships because they don't have the number of people. For another, there aren't half a dozen identical dancing girls wearing wigs meaning you can't even recognise which one's which. When I was on, there were five singers and dancers who ALL sang and ALL danced, and they were all definite individuals.

I alwayys manage to recognise which ones which :o:p

Seriously - quizzes, endless quizzes. battle of the sexes is OK and the syndicate quiz is good if you don't mind the fisticuffs, but why the endless quizzes?

answer one - it keeps the old folks quiet.

answer 2 - they are easy to do, especially if you only have 3 entertainment officers to cover 2000+ passengers.

I know where they could get some extra entertainment officers, use the showteam as they don't seem to do much :rolleyes:

A rut only in you opinion of course. I have never seen the same show twice in all my cruises. Perhaps that is cos I only go about I show every 10 cruises.

The entertainment on any ship only reflects what is available on land and at the moment there are very few places were acts can work and as it were 'get their act together'

If they make it big on the TV then they think they are above cruise ships that's why you have had a succession of comics from TV 40 years ago. But of course the supply have dried up as they get older.

Possibly the best entertainment are the tribute acts you get on Azura and Ventura. But then again not everyone likes them.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

An opinion shared by many on here.

But not the hundred of thousands who enjoy P&O cruising. :) :) :) :) Oops sorry you don't like smilies either.

Edited by daiB

Themed cruises have proved popular and usually either attract a premium or sell quickly at the brochure price. Why not a named artist cruise, or a show which had done the Provincial theaters; particularly for those cruises which are generally slow sellers. I am sure they would sell well throughout the whole demographic of P&O cruisers.

But not the hundred of thousands who enjoy P&O cruising. :) :) :) :) Oops sorry you don't like smilies either.

Yes it is. Many of the hundreds of thousands who enjoy P&O take a balanced view and heaven forbid, cruise with other lines as well. Can you imagine that?

They also take holidays that are on land. Who would have thought it? What's the world coming to?

Themed cruises have proved popular and usually either attract a premium or sell quickly at the brochure price. Why not a named artist cruise, or a show which had done the Provincial theaters; particularly for those cruises which are generally slow sellers. I am sure they would sell well throughout the whole demographic of P&O cruisers.

Someone was saying that on Adonia they had plays, I think in the afternoon on sea days. I am sure that would go down well like the old rep. companies. The Aurora players.

We only had one afternoon play on Adonia in November. It was "The Importance of being Earnest" (?sp)

It was very good and a shame it was only one.

It was quite long and my thought is that perhaps they could do shorter ones, say one hour, but on more than one afternoon.,

Holland America organise theme cruises around things like blues and country music. They are very popular. Last year on Ventura we berthed opposite to their blues cruise ship in Sint Maarten. They had a blues band playing on deck and they were marvellous. I tried to book it for this year on my return to Britain but found that it had already sold out.