Help! I Leave Thursday

keerle

We leave Thursday to sail on the Liberty on Saturday. I started packing yesterday for 4 of us. Myself, DH and 2 DD's (14 &10) I am in 3 REALLY full suitcases and Thanking God we are not flying because I guarantee that I am over 50 lbs on each suitcase.

What can I leave out that is not a necessity? I packed 8 outfits for daytime and then the 6 dinner outfits for each of us. Plus all the shoes, and other stuff. :eek:

What can I leave out that is not a necessity? I packed 8 outfits for daytime and then the 6 dinner outfits for each of us. Plus all the shoes, and other stuff.

It's only a 7-day cruise to the Carib. Cut the number of daytime outfits in half for each person - from 8 to 4 - and plan on using the ship's laundry. Same with the dinner outfits - cut back from 6 to 3 for each person. The other pax won't care if you wear the same outfit more than once.

Rotate your shorts or pants to match the tops. Usually you can get 2-3 days wear out of a pair of slacks or shorts. I opt for denim b/c it matches everything. One pair of denim shorts will match 3 tops for me. This eliminates the need for packing 8 pairs of shorts/pants. The same for the evening.

Also wear the same dress for both elegant nights. No one will notice if you are wearing the same dress. Or opt for the buffet on the second elegant night.

For shoes I bring 3 pairs. Two pair of sandals that matches all outfits. Normally a pair of brown and a pair of black will do. Then only one pair for elegant night. I wear sneakers on board b/c they are bulky and takes up space.

What can I leave out that is not a necessity? I packed 8 outfits for daytime and then the 6 dinner outfits for each of us. Plus all the shoes, and other stuff. :eek:

The obvious answer is to cut the number of outfits down, but if you're really pushing 50+ lbs in 3 suitcases then we probably need to know what "Plus all the shoes and other stuff" is.

We leave Thursday to sail on the Liberty on Saturday. I started packing yesterday for 4 of us. Myself, DH and 2 DD's (14 &10) I am in 3 REALLY full suitcases and Thanking God we are not flying because I guarantee that I am over 50 lbs on each suitcase.

My DH and I are over packers also. But we enjoy frequent changes. I try to bring silk black pants with a few tops. We bring two formal outfits and perhaps another outfit or two for the evenings. I like to wear different clothes each evening-even if just changing a top and perhaps a couple of wraps or jackets. We do not want to wash clothes on vacation. If you also bring 3-4 swim suits with beach robes, a few pairs of shorts and 4-5 tops, perhaps work out clothes, underware and sleepware, not to mention make-up, hair supplies, jewelry and shoes( 2-3 evening, day, beach, workout,) you can easily fill a couple of suitcases per person. Going home, we also have gift items to pack!

I have learned sometimes, I do not wear all of the clothes, especially the daywear and evening accessories, but I still bring them!

Edited by Cruise a holic

On sea days, you'll probably be in swimwear and cover-up so take 2 of each. Take 2 pr shorts per person plus tees, etc., for daytime. For nights, I take 1 pr black slacks, 1 pr silk pants and I like to have a pair of jeans. Then several nice tops. I, too, like to wear something "fresh" each evening, but you don't need 8 bottoms - 6-7 tops max and 2 bottoms should get you by since some evenings you'll just change back into shorts after dinner. I also pack 1 or 2 light sweaters - dining room, showroom, etc., tend to be chilly.

I spend most of the day at the pool or just in my suit/cover-up (which is fine all over the ship), then dress for dinner. If I'm in shorts/tees on sea days, it's only for a few hours, so everything can be worn more than once. Note that outfits worn on port days will likely only be good for one wearing - at least that was my experience in August on Liberty. It was *hot*!! And one port day we just went snorkeling, so just needed swimsuit/coverup for that day.

If you can get by with just a few pr of shoes, great; I'm not that good at that, but most of mine are very lightweight & flat sandals. Try also cutting way back on toiletries. For one week, everyone can survive ship shampoo. I do take body wash (even though they provide it) & lotion, toothpaste, etc., and my own cosmetics, but use ship stuff for anything else.

Note at the end of the trip how much wasn't used... it'll help next time.

Have a great time - this is a really nice ship with a great itinerary. :)

Edited by bailey57

I am a true overpacker. I just needed some reassurance that if I take half out I won't be wearing a bathing suit home. LOL

I have cruised before but the other ones were 5 day and a 4 day. So this is really stressing me.

When I cruise I take with me:

2 or 3 outfits for dinner,

3 pair of shorts,

Swimsuit

4 t-shirts,

Dress shoes, sneakers, flip flops

...and not much else!

As Rick Steeves says: "There are those who travel light, and those who wish they did!"

My above comment was a joke of course, but I do pack a lot when I cruise. I have never felt I overpack though and always find instead that I have left something I needed.

I pack a suit for every night and two tuxes on a seven day cruise, no joke. I also have a separate outfit for each day. I cannot fly to a cruise, just can't. Too much stuff. I like to dress for cruises though, it is just something we enjoy.

My above comment was a joke of course, but I do pack a lot when I cruise. I have never felt I overpack though and always find instead that I have left something I needed.

I pack a suit for every night and two tuxes on a seven day cruise, no joke. I also have a separate outfit for each day. I cannot fly to a cruise, just can't. Too much stuff. I like to dress for cruises though, it is just something we enjoy.

While my DH might not pack two tuxes and a different jacket for each night, we do enjoy dressing for dinner and having choice as to what to wear-or not- but that is us- and whatever makes your trip enjoyable to you is what you should bring- Yes, we do bring home clothes that we never wear- but we have the choice of options.

When we sailed our first cruise back in 2000, we had FIVE suitcases for the two of us. We came home with most of our clothes untouched. We have since learned what to pack and are down to one suitcase each.

Adding to what others have posted:

We wear bathing suits from the time we wake up until it's time to get showered for dinner, so we pack three bathing suits, three beach shirts for DH and three cover-ups for me, two pairs of shorts, plus the pair we wear while traveling, and four shirts each. (Since we are allowed to wear shorts to dinner in the dining room, we do.) We also take one pair of sneakers and two pairs of flip flops each. I bring one skirt and two matching tops and one pair of heels for elegant nights and DH brings on pair of slacks, two shirts, and two ties and one pair of dress shoes. I do bring lots of clean undies because that's my thing and two sets of sleep clothes for each of us.

Basically, we pack for four days for a seven day cruise. In fact, we sailed 13 days on Legend back in August and still packed for four days. Before we became Platinum, we washed laundry in the laundry rooms. ($3 per wash and $3 per dry.) Now we send out our clothes to be washed because it's free.

We fly to every cruise, except the two sailings from Boston, so we always have to watch our luggage count and weight.

I'm sailing four days with my mom and am seriously contemplating bringing just a carry-on this time. Challenge accepted!

I really want to pack light but I wear what I eat a lot of the time. Lol. So I can't expect to wear the same top more than one time because there will be a spot. Especially with a guys burger. :eek:

Sent from my KFTT using Forums mobile app

I really want to pack light but I wear what I eat a lot of the time. Lol. So I can't expect to wear the same top more than one time because there will be a spot. Especially with a guys burger. :eek:

Sent from my KFTT using Forums mobile app

That's my DH so we always bring Stainstick with us.

Take half the clothes out and add a spray bottle of Febreeze!

You can Febreeze some outer clothes to re-wear a day to 2 later; no one is going to care or even know if you re-wear clothes. Or use the ship laundry facilities---I usually take at least one of those detergent/softener sheets (can't remember the brand name--maybe Purex?) in case I need to do a load of laundry. You can get quarters for the machines from guest services.

Also, I usually count on buying at least one T-shirt during the cruise and plan to wear that one day.

There are ways to cut back on the packing!

We usually book 10+ day cruises. On sea days we do laundry so we pack less. I take 2 pairs of shorts, 2 sleepwear, 5 T-shirts, 1 bathing suit, underwear and socks. Two pairs of shoes, sneakers that I'm wearing and one dress shoes for dinner. One elegant dress and I wear that twice. Who is really watching what you wear everyday and who cares - not me.

I can almost guarantee you won't wear half of those shoes or clothes. Guaranteed. I always pack thinking oh yeah I'll wear this during the day and then change at night. WRONG. Pick basic colors of shorts. Khaki, black, navy and white that go with multiple shirts. Then you can make multiple outfits out of less clothing. If you wear a pair of shorts more than once no one will notice. Seriously. I did this for our 3rd cruise and it just made everything so much easier.

Also with the shoes. Do you have a casual pair or shoes that you would wear everyday that you can pack? I know at home that I don't wear 8 different pairs of shoes in a week so I don't know why it would be any different on a cruise. I try to pack shoes that are going to match the majority of my outfits. It's all about combining outfits and shoes into as many combinations as possible without packing 100 items!! Good luck I know you can do it!!

I can almost guarantee you won't wear half of those shoes or clothes. Guaranteed. I always pack thinking oh yeah I'll wear this during the day and then change at night. WRONG. Pick basic colors of shorts. Khaki, black, navy and white that go with multiple shirts. Then you can make multiple outfits out of less clothing. If you wear a pair of shorts more than once no one will notice. Seriously. I did this for our 3rd cruise and it just made everything so much easier.

Also with the shoes. Do you have a casual pair or shoes that you would wear everyday that you can pack? I know at home that I don't wear 8 different pairs of shoes in a week so I don't know why it would be any different on a cruise. I try to pack shoes that are going to match the majority of my outfits. It's all about combining outfits and shoes into as many combinations as possible without packing 100 items!! Good luck I know you can do it!!

I used to pack for 2 changes per day too, it usually does not happen unless you've had a midsummer sweat in the Caribbean. Why work harder on vacation than you would at home? No one cares except the person who thinks others do. Even with my minimal packing, a few items still get unworn. I bring 1 pair of broken in sneakers and one pair of dressy shoes for dress up night.

Dh and I overpacked too. By cruise # 4 or 5 I was down to a suitcase and a carryon, then a few cruises back it was a carryon and I haven't looked back.

We budget the amount we pay for airline fees for a suitcase, and put it to the room steward doing laundry.

Just got back from a 7 day, and I packed too much even in the carry on.

Best advice, keep a running list, and each time you cruise start crossing off outfits you didn't wear and star the ones you got more than one wear out of.

It's a different list for everybody. Don't sweat it, if you bring too much just count it the price of peace of mind and start making your own lists.

I started making a list of the days of the cruise, what tours we were on that day and the estimated weather (dh has some weather stuff online for averages).

I listed an outfit a day plus 2 for formal nights and that is how I started. While on board I would then scribble a note to myself of what I REALLY ended up wearing. That was how I spotted that I usually get 3 days out of a pair of dark pants or capris. Tops are about 2 days. Wearing sandals on board cuts shoe weight and the number of socks.

HTH:)

I dress for myself and no one else. With that said, I'm a happy overpacker (one checked bag and one carry on with two outfits per day) with zero desire to pack carry on only. What can I say? I like my gowns, cocktail dresses, sundresses and shoes :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Since you're not flying...take what you want! It's true...dinner clothes can be worn more than once, unless you spill stuff! Shorts can be worn multiple times....

But who cares? Bring what you want! Ships allow 200lbs pp...go for it!

Thank you all so much. I did cut back half of my day outfits. What was funny was watching my 14 year old when I told her she had to do it too. 4 days and counting. I'm so excited

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Since you're not flying...take what you want! It's true...dinner clothes can be worn more than once, unless you spill stuff! Shorts can be worn multiple times....

But who cares? Bring what you want! Ships allow 200lbs pp...go for it!

Jet blue allows 1 large suitcase pp free. I believe another bag is $35. Southwest two large pieces of luggage free. We also use our Amex card and get $250 annual luggage allowance per year on Delta.

We take one garment bag for suit or tux and other dressy clothes and one large suitcase each. We also each take a carry-on. That works for a 10 day or less cruise. Over 14 days, might take an extra garment bag.

But everyone should bring whatever makes their vacation feel special to them.

Edited by Cruise a holic

If you take it, you have to haul it. Even a rolling bag gets very heavy when you have to drag it very far and you might have to over parking lots, up curbs, into the trunk of the car (you are bench pressing the weight up about 20 inches) Too many bags for the car -- there are 4 of you. Only about 3-4 MEDIUM size bags fit under the beds for the cruise. You will have limited drawer and closet space in your cabin! It is enough but not enough for you to bring "everything!"

My packing list for 7days, 10 days or even 32 days is just about the same.

2 swim suits and one knit dress that goes over it for walking through public areas. 5 knit tee shirts, 2 woven blouses, 2 silky sleeveless shells, 4 silky handkerchief weight tops (evening), 1 sweater 3 pair of capris (tan, black, white), 2 skirts (long formal tiered black skirt and short black and white print), 1 black dress pants, 1 white jean pants, 2 cotton knit pants, 1 pair shorts, 1 dressy sweater or glam top (goes with pants and skirt) 1 dressy black top, and one black lace dress. If room I also put in one sleeveless sun dress. Leather flip flops, leather walking shoes, water shoes (if snorkeling also mask and vest)and comfortable dress shoes (you will walk long ways around the ship many times a day -- blisters first day not cool) undies and night gown and socks and 1 good belt and a sun hat with chin strap. For cold I take out shorts and add pants and fleece. Don't forget to pack a change of clothes in your carry on and your swim suit so you can have something if suitcase slow coming. Take basic meds for tummy, colds, bandages and plenty of sun screen which is expensive on ship. Probably forgot something as I did not look at my list -- but I do use a list each time. I often shed a tear as I put something favorite back but I can tell you your vacation is better if you don't have to lug a ton of stuff with you.

Teach your kids young how to pack and travel light. Daughter travels for work and she says it is one of her most used skills.