What do do in port in the evening?

TAC1582

My wife and I are booked on the Journey for a Mediterranean cruise next spring and are starting to think about shore excursions, etc... We are new to cruises (been on one Alaska cruise with HAL a few years ago). I see that on our itinerary, we have several days where the ship is in port until from early morning until 9 or 10 pm. If I am on the ship to eat dinner, I would think that it would be to late to go ashore to see or do anything after dinner. But with that much time in port, I would think it might be nice to experience the port in the evening, which I assume would mean eating dinner at a restaurant on shore, which would be an added expense. When given this option, what do most people do? Thanks for any tips.

Which ports are you staying late in? If the ship is docked really close to the city--which in many Mediterranean ports it is--you can walk off and wander around town after dinner. Give us some more information and we can help with suggestions a little more.

I always eat in town. had dinner in Lisbon, Seville and Sorrento plus France last summer. this summer in Liverpool, Iceland and Darthmouth. skipped dinner in Dublin as after 9 hours had enough for one day.. i try hard not to eat on ship as i know ii need to be back about 30 minutes before. last tendeer is 30 minutes before. all the stores are closed but you can always bar hop. for me dinner out is part of cruising and trying and seeing new thigns and people.

We do both depending on the departure time. If departure is at 7:00 or so, we spend as much tim win the City as we can and then head back to the ship for dinner. If it is 9:00 or 10:00 we will either eat dinner in town, or have an early dinner on the ship and then go back out for an hour or so and explore the City at night. It all depends on your budget and what you like to do and see.

One of the things we love most about Azamara is the late nights/overnights in port. We like to eat dinner off the ship some nights...nothing like it to get a feel for the culture of the city you're visiting, especially if you can find a restaurant that's not touristy. Fun story: in Ho Chi Minh City, the ship's concierge recommended a restaurant within walking distance of the ship (easy, except for the extremely intimidating street traffic). The place was not at all what we expected, with braziers in the tables and cook your own food, in 90+ degree heat, even at night. Locals only, lots of birthday celebrations, etc. and limited English. Turns out we were in the wrong place, one floor up from the recommended white tablecloth restaurant, but I wouldn't take anything for that experience. After dinner, we walked a couple of blocks further to the Rex Hotel and enjoyed a nightcap at the famous open air bar while watching the moon rise over Ho Chi Minh City...unforgettable! This is why you're sailing on Azamara, so my recommendation would be to take advantage of it:)

One of the things we love most about Azamara is the late nights/overnights in port. We like to eat dinner off the ship some nights...nothing like it to get a feel for the culture of the city you're visiting, especially if you can find a restaurant that's not touristy. Fun story: in Ho Chi Minh City, the ship's concierge recommended a restaurant within walking distance of the ship (easy, except for the extremely intimidating street traffic). The place was not at all what we expected, with braziers in the tables and cook your own food, in 90+ degree heat, even at night. Locals only, lots of birthday celebrations, etc. and limited English. Turns out we were in the wrong place, one floor up from the recommended white tablecloth restaurant, but I wouldn't take anything for that experience. After dinner, we walked a couple of blocks further to the Rex Hotel and enjoyed a nightcap at the famous open air bar while watching the moon rise over Ho Chi Minh City...unforgettable! This is why you're sailing on Azamara, so my recommendation would be to take advantage of it:)

you said yo walked. can you walk to the Rex hotel?? there are dinner places near by? i could do the Azamazing Eveening but dinner out is always my first choice.. i know here are shuttles in the dytime but if i can walk or taxi at ngiht i can enjoy it more.. seen it all in the daytime.

you said yo walked. can you walk to the Rex hotel?? there are dinner places near by? i could do the Azamazing Eveening but dinner out is always my first choice.. i know here are shuttles in the dytime but if i can walk or taxi at ngiht i can enjoy it more.. seen it all in the daytime.

Most definitely, if you're bold about crossing the streets. We had a private guide that day who showed us several places to eat that were within easy walking distance of the ship, and it's not far at all to the Rex. Azamara Quest had a beautiful berth right in the city. Also, Azamara's complimentary shuttle (at the time, 2012) dropped off at the Rex. We were too late for the last return trip, so did take a cab back to ship.

Our ship will be in

Mykanos until 10 PM

Santorini until 10 PM

Chania (Souda) until 9 PM

Amalfi until 10PM

Capri until 10 PM

I'm thinking Chania is not in town. The others, yes?

Correct about Chania. You'll dock in Souda which is about 4 miles from the city of Chania. That's a lovely itinerary you've chosen. You may find this useful: http://www.azamaraclubcruises.com/destinations/mediterranean-black-sea/ports-cities

Our ship will be in

Mykanos until 10 PM

Santorini until 10 PM

Amalfi until 10PM

Capri until 10 PM

I doubt if you will get to Capri unless by fast ferry as we have had problems there with our temp dears. Amalfi you can walk the Main Street to several places for dinner. Have not been to the other ports by ship.

Thanks. Slept in HCMC about three years ago but only walked in daytime. Heard the Rex was the place to relax by a pool and was thinking drinks... Yes I would taxi at night but did not realize we docked in town as I flew in and never saw the port. But saw all the highlights.

My wife and I are booked on the Journey for a Mediterranean cruise next spring and are starting to think about shore excursions, etc... We are new to cruises (been on one Alaska cruise with HAL a few years ago). I see that on our itinerary, we have several days where the ship is in port until from early morning until 9 or 10 pm. If I am on the ship to eat dinner, I would think that it would be to late to go ashore to see or do anything after dinner. But with that much time in port, I would think it might be nice to experience the port in the evening, which I assume would mean eating dinner at a restaurant on shore, which would be an added expense. When given this option, what do most people do? Thanks for any tips.

We always find a wonderful restaurant and eat out in the country we are in..you rarely get a chance to do that when on a ship..we have had wonderful experiences eating and meeting wonderful people when dining in other countries..try it you will like it!!

Jancruz1

Our ship will be in

Mykanos until 10 PM

Santorini until 10 PM

Amalfi until 10PM

Capri until 10 PM

Hi, TAC1582 -

Lovely cruise you've selected! My one thought re. eating out would be to make certain you do not miss the White Nights BBQ and deck party - lots of fun! Ours was Santorini and a spectacular evening, as the we danced under the stars while the ship slowly pivoted within the caldera under a rising moon...

Hi, TAC1582 -

Lovely cruise you've selected! My one thought re. eating out would be to make certain you do not miss the White Nights BBQ and deck party - lots of fun! Ours was Santorini and a spectacular evening, as the we danced under the stars while the ship slowly pivoted within the caldera under a rising moon...

this is funny- after all the ones i have been to i try to eat out as i am tired of them. sometimes i eat on shore and change into white around 9 and go up for the last hour.. the food could care less-the crepes- love. i rather have a real Greek meal in a real town. if Russ is on the ship i do try to get back to dance wih him.. he also stats later too.

Thanks for the suggestions. I did not know about this White Nights party. It will not be routine for us as it our first Azamara Cruise so we will probably enjoy that if offered. I'm encouraged by the positive comments about this itinerary. It also has two days at sea, which we found attractive as I worried about shore excursion burn-out. Mediterranean cruises especially seem to be in port every day. We were really looking forward to having time to enjoy the ship which we should be able to do with the sea days. I guess that's an even better excuse to dine ashore when the opportunity arises. We are especially keen on seeing Santorini and having three days in the Amalfi area. My wife's mother was an Army nurse in WWII near Naples and just loved that area and cruised from there to Santorini on the Sea Cloud when she retired. My wife retires in April so when we saw we could retrace that journey, we just had to do it (alas, not on the Sea Cloud).