*Photo Blog* Ben the Bendy Man's Bermuda-ful Breakaway Adventure, Sept 21, 2014

kylenyc

Would we be able to just get to the Crystal Caves on our own from the ship without booking a tour? Could we just wing it and go or do we have to reserve it first?

You can absolutely get to the caves on your own. I took the ferry to Hamilton and then the number 11 bus to the caves. Just let the driver know that you want to get off at the swizzle inn stop. The caves are right across the street. I know that other busses go that way but that's how we went.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

You can absolutely get to the caves on your own. I took the ferry to Hamilton and then the number 11 bus to the caves. Just let the driver know that you want to get off at the swizzle inn stop. The caves are right across the street. I know that other busses go that way but that's how we went.

Sounds great, thanks!

Wow the Swizzle Inn...now I'm in the mood for a rum swizzle. ;)

Thanks nanagirl! Ben agrees Anoop is great!

Hi countess5! You picked Ben's favorite suite on the ship, the Have Aft Penthouse H6. Ben's new friends Ben & Mary (fedretired) showed us their suite, it's Cherie's (Nalagh) favorite as well. Pictures forthcoming ASAP. Bon voyage!

Hi Donna (JuneauMe)! Ben misses you, Kim, and that mysterious woman Karen who signed up for everything but didn't show up ;) :p.

banzoom6877, Swizzle Inn (Bailey's Bay) is a landmark in Bermuda. They have some good but pricey food and drink, at least one nice bartender, one nice waiter, one rude waiter, and a belligerent manager. People (including Ben) go there just to say they've been there - Domestic bottled beer starts at $6.50, a hamburger platter is $15, and their nachos in particular are piled high and yummy but pricey (I forget the cost). The rum swizzles are served by the pitcher with small glasses and is expensive. You're better off enjoying your rum swizzle on board the ship (which tastes better IMO) or maybe restaurant/pub at the dockyard or enjoy a ice cream across the street. (Detailed review and pictures forthcoming).

Hi FootballParent! This is Ben Bendyman, our inquisitive international impish injection-molded amarillo imp. Ben just lets me (kylenyc) tag along his many adventures as his his typist, butler, manservant, executive assistant, and personal paparazzi. :p

Cherie (Nalagh) - Ben pretty much deputized you as an assistant butler and personal paparazzi on this trip. :p

P1000033.jpg

Edited by kylenyc

[

banzoom6877, Swizzle Inn (Bailey's Bay) is a landmark in Bermuda. They have some good but pricey food and drink, at least one nice bartender, one nice waiter, one rude waiter, and a belligerent manager. People (including Ben) go there just to say they've been there - Domestic bottled beer starts at $6.50, a hamburger platter is $15, and their nachos in particular are piled high and yummy but pricey (I forget the cost). The rum swizzles are served by the pitcher with small glasses and is expensive. You're better off enjoying your rum swizzle on board the ship (which tastes better IMO) or maybe restaurant/pub at the dockyard or enjoy a ice cream across the street. (Detailed review and pictures forthcoming)

The swizzle inn has small bite plates for $10. We had the flatbread pizza which came with a salad that was pretty good. The nachos, we ordered the junior, were really good and around $10 as well. ImageUploadedByForums1412965337.402891.jpg.8b4b3439d7e3f58fa7696291c1f4a74e.jpg

ImageUploadedByForums1412965318.834330.jpg.1045cafd44ee2acfe9116c19201a8021.jpg

Ben is the pliable elastic canary colored figure you see posted in the pictures. Ben is a highly experienced cruiser who has traveled the Caribbean, the East Coast USA and Europe. His adventurers are documented by Kyle as he is Ben's butler, photographer, manservant, and typist. Kyle is also responsible for keeping an eye on Ben because of Ben's propensity to find himself in precarious situations and quite possibly committing petty theft.

Of course, both Ben and Kyle were on the ship, and Ben wrote the review. Kyle typed it as he always facilitates Ben's written communication. It is hard for Ben to type without opposable thumbs.

Ben and Kyle have written outstanding reviews loaded with pictures,tips and information to aid other travelers. You can find these reviews in Kylenyc's signature. :)

Ohhhhh ok gotcha lol. On with the show

Sunday afternoon, September 21, 2014

Mandatory Safety/Muster Drill

Our poly-plastic pliable pixie scampered to his cabin after lunch to have his personal peon unpack and grab some Mardi Gras beads to give away at the Informal Sailaway Meetup for his roll call. Curious canary colored clones clawed of out the big brown box of bendables gasping for air and eager to explore the ship but before he knew it it was time to head to the mandatory safety/muster drill. "(Ding dong) May I have your attention please..."

The safety drill went quickly and smoothly. NCL has the procedure down pat. Announcements began at 3 PM instructing guests to report to their muster station by 3:30 PM. The muster station is printed on each guest's key card and crew members are posted at the stairwells of every deck directing passenger to their station. Ben reported to the Breakaway Theater, had his key card scanned, and took his seat. After a short demonstration on how to wear a life vest and instructions to view the safety video his cabin television, he was quickly dismissed 15 minutes later quick and painlessly! Yay!

P1040031.jpg

Ben clones burst out of their big brown box of goodies gasping for air. "Who wants to party! Me me me me me!"

P1040021.jpg

Manhattan Skyline - View from the Breakaway at Pier 88

P1040018.jpg

The USS Intrepid Sea Air and Space museum with the Space Shuttle pavilion (the white structure on top of the aircraft carrier to the left

P1040020.jpg

P1040032.jpg

Muster station in the Breakaway Theater - Ben's photog snaps a couple of pictures immediately at the conclusion of the drill. Taking pictures during the drill is prohibited.

P1040033.jpg

Tips:

• Safety Drill - Food, beverages, and the use of electronic devices are prohibited during the safety/muster drill. Food and beverage service is stopped at 3 PM when the announcements begin. So don't order anything you can't finish in time. You do not need to bring your life vest to the drill. Attendance is mandatory and passenger key cards are scanned at the drill. If you miss the drill, you'll be required to attend the make-up drill at a later time.

Edited by kylenyc

Fun review! Can't wait to read more. I'm on the Breakaway in January...first time on NCL and in a Haven Aft suite, SO excited!

L

Fun review, YES!

I have a feeling Ben is just getting warmed up.:)

And yes L, YOU will have fun too... so jealous of your up-coming cruise and aft suite.:mad::D

Edited by $hip$hape

Sunday afternoon, September 21, 2014

Sailaway

Ben and his valet made a beeline to the Waves Pool Bar to greet some of his new roll call friends at an Informal Sailaway Meetup. Our amicable amarillo adventurer's assistant then made a tactical error by suggesting everyone head over to Spice H2O for the ship's Sailaway Party. He waited a bit to greet any late comers and he eventually got there 45 minutes into the party. By then it was packed and most of the roll call was scattered among the thick crowd. Still, Ben had a wonderful time meeting some of his new friends, taking pictures, and enjoying the party and spectacular views. He certainly preferred this to his Breakaway cruise last September when instead Spice H2O played a football game to much smaller gathering of sports fans. (Sorry to everyone from our roll call who got lost amongst the crowd. I'm glad you all still decided to attend the Meet & Greet after this little error *slaps his butler on the back of his head*".

Our overwhelmed onlooker weaved his way through the sea of revelers and found a small gathering of roll call friend at the bar. Kristine (kblac708) surprised and delighted our already bright bubbly bendable with some gifts - A tin of Cheryl's Buttercream Frosted Smiley Face Cookies, and a Smiley Night Light. Thank you so much Kristine! Ben's is still thrilled a little confuzzled that you somehow knew he is afraid of the dark and loves to munch on cookies under the covers.

DSC_0831.jpg

Ben smiles every time he munches on one of the butter cream cookies from Kristine

P1040038.jpg

Spice H2O - Sailaway Party

TERRY2.jpg

Empire State Building

TERRY3.jpg

Freedom Tower

TERRY4.jpg

TERRY5.jpg

Ben's sailed out of New York many times and it continues to be his favorite sailaway - Inspiring and Beautiful - Along the Manhattan Skyline, past the Freedom Tower, Ellis Island, Lady Liberty, and under the Verrazano Narrow's bridge.

Tips:

• Sailaway - The Sailaway Party is immediately after the mandatory safety drill. Go there immediately if you want a seat at the bar , tables, or loungers. You'll may want to be at a less crowded location if you want to take pictures of all the landmarks as you sail down the hudson so that you can move freely from port to starboard (such as one of Sun Decks). Manhattan Skyline and Freedom Tower is portside, then Ellis Island and Lady Liberty are starboard, and then under the Verrazano Narrow's bridge.

Edited by kylenyc

The swizzle inn has small bite plates for $10. We had the flatbread pizza which came with a salad that was pretty good. The nachos, we ordered the junior, were really good and around $10 as well.

Thanks Kristine! - Ben did go to Swizzle Inn on this trip too. The nachos were yummy and I'll post about it in a bit! Thanks again for the gifts. I wish we had more time to spend together but the roll call was huge and there was just so many things keep tabs of. Please keep in touch!

We were told that there was no Latitudes line also!:rolleyes:

Yeah, the port agents do this every time. :mad:

Additional tips...

Tips for Haven and Gold/Platinum Latitudes Guests

• On embarkation - There is a priority line for you upon entering the terminal (to the far right). This is the line that agents don't want you know about. Once through security, you'll have no problem asking for or finding the priority lines for check-in. Haven passengers are directed to a private lounge for check-in. Gold/Platinum Latitudes members proceed to the their own priority line next to the regular check-in lines. Bronze/Silver Latitudes members have a "priority line" too albeit a much longer one.

• On disembarkation - Haven guests have a priority line to the luggage area only. At the end of the gangway, follow the bannister along the left to the very front of the line at the escalators/elevators, the line is there. After you pick up your luggage, everyone goes into the same lines for customs and immigration.

Edited by kylenyc

I'm definitely rethinking my approach and "volunteering" friends to help out for the Escape Maiden Transatlantic which will be even bigger!

Roger that, Kyle. I'm counting myself as friend now and I'll be happy to help with whatever you need to keep the party going for 10 days!

Kim

So thank you Kyle and Ben the Bendy Man (I feel as if I am following Flat Stanley here) for starting this all up. Going in January for 12 night Southern Caribbean and cannot wait! Am curious to hear your report about your Meet & Greet. Did you say 140 people? Is that La Cucina I am seeing? We are scheduled to meet in there too, our list is getting longer and wondering if it will be able to accommodate our crew of NUTZ. And please dish on what door prizes NCL gave to you for the meet and greet....are you talking for everybody, or a couple of prizes for game winners? I need some new Meet & Greet ideas since I am in charge. And WHERE did you get that boatload (haha) of Mardi Gras beads??? Can't wait for more!

Roger that, Kyle. I'm counting myself as friend now and I'll be happy to help with whatever you need to keep the party going for 10 days! Kim

Thanks Kim! Our Amazing Escape maiden voyage can't come sooner enough! Only 380-ish days to go :P

So thank you Kyle and Ben the Bendy Man (I feel as if I am following Flat Stanley here) for starting this all up. Going in January for 12 night Southern Caribbean and cannot wait! Am curious to hear your report about your Meet & Greet. Did you say 140 people? Is that La Cucina I am seeing? We are scheduled to meet in there too, our list is getting longer and wondering if it will be able to accommodate our crew of NUTZ. And please dish on what door prizes NCL gave to you for the meet and greet....are you talking for everybody, or a couple of prizes for game winners? I need some new Meet & Greet ideas since I am in charge. And WHERE did you get that boatload (haha) of Mardi Gras beads??? Can't wait for more!

OMG. Ben really wants to sail with the NUTZ some day!

Yes, the Meet & Greet was at La Cucina. Since Ben was organizing the Meet & Greet and activities, he wrote to NCL and subtly mentioned that he and many on our roll call were donating lots of door prizes and that it might be nice if NCL could pitch in a few trinkets. So, Ben can't guarantee this will happen at your roll call and I don't want to give false expectations. But it doesn't hurt to have your roll call leader ask them. Maybe NCL was so generous because our roll call was so big, or because Ben's butler always spends money on gifts for the roll call and crew, because Ben's a B-List (Bendy-List) celeb of sorts, or because they just want Ben to stop bugging them. Who knows. :p

Details forthcoming in the review.

The Mardi Gras beads are genuine beads that Ben caught during Mardi Gras 2014 in New Orleans (See Ben's Jewel review in his signature). Some of them you can only get if you are there and catch them from the krewe parade floats. Otherwise, you can get small mardi gras beads at most dollar stores. The nicer ones you can order from a Mardi Gras supply store in bulk.

Edited by kylenyc

Roger that, Kyle. I'm counting myself as friend now and I'll be happy to help with whatever you need to keep the party going for 10 days!

Kim

Count me in as well. I would be willing to help out with just about everything, especially if it involves martinis. :p

Thanks Kim! Our Amazing Escape maiden voyage can't come sooner enough! Only 380-ish days to go :P

OMG. Ben really wants to sail with the NUTZ some day!

Be careful what you wish for! :)

They come by that name honestly! ;)

Flashback - Breakaway September 2013

He loves a party and was thrilled there was one in Spice H2O this year! Flashback to a year ago September 2013 and when it was quiet with lounging football fans watching the game on the big screen. Ben was confuzzled by how quiet it was and went looking for the party. He never did find it but luckily the weather was great and he got to take some nice pictures along the way.

2013-09-08-sailaway-1.jpg

Last Year - A quiet Spice H2O during sailaway

2013-09-08-sailaway-2.jpg

Last Year - Our confuzzled canary cruiser scratches his head "Where's the party?"

2013-09-08-sailaway-3.jpg

Last Year - The party wasn't poolside either

2013-09-08-sailaway-4.jpg

Manhattan Skyline & Freedom Tower

2013-09-08-sailaway-5.jpg

Verrazano Narrows Bridge

2013-09-08-sailaway-6.jpg

Verrazano Narrows Bridge

Edited by kylenyc

Sunday evening, September 21,2014

Cagney's Steakhouse

In the evening, our elastic epicurean enjoyed a lovely dinner in Cagney's Steakhouse. He begrudging let his attendant indulge on a couple of Wagyu Beef Sliders (very flavorful) and a Filet Mignon (seared perfectly to medium rare as requested). At the end of the mean, his servant's belt buckle almost bust and watched skeptically as he ordered the Raspberry Crème Brulée. It was scrumptuous - light, sweet, with just the right amount of raspberry flavor and not overpowering. Yummy! Service was very good - The waiter frequently dropped by to give us a status and check on our meal. The Assistant Maitre D also paid us a visit to ensure our meal was satisfactory.

P1040059.jpg

Wagyu Beef Sliders with carmelized onions and slaw

P1040062.jpg

8 oz Filet Mignon (medium rare) with Béarnaise & Port Wine Jus, Macaroni & Cheese, Broccoli

P1040063.jpg

Raspberry Crème Brulée - Just the right amount of light-sweet-raspberry-ness after a big meal. Deeeelish!

moderno-cagneys-1.jpg

Moderno Churasscaria & Cagney's Steakhouse - Entrance

moderno-cagneys-2.jpg

Cagney's Steakhouse

moderno-cagneys-3.jpg

Cagney's Steakhouse

Edited by kylenyc

Cagney's Steakhouse (continued)

moderno-cagneys-4.jpg

Moderno Churasscaria

moderno-cagneys-5.jpg

Prime Meridian Bar

moderno-cagneys-6.jpg

Cagney's Steakhouse

moderno-cagneys-7.jpg

Moderno/Cagney's Open Kitchen

Up Next: Day 2 - Megatron Meet & Greet, Slot Pull-zilla, and Lottery Pool Madness.

Edited by kylenyc

Cagney's Steakhouse

P1040059.jpg

Wagyu Beef Sliders with carmelized onions and slaw

P1040062.jpg

8 oz Filet Mignon (medium rare) with Béarnaise & Port Wine Jus, Macaroni & Cheese, Broccoli

Now you're making me hungry :p This is one of my favorite meals on NCL!

Pics of Cagney's look yummy! We haven't eaten there yet on ny of our NCL cruises, but it's planned for our July Breakaway cruise for sure. And I have my eye on the wagyu sliders and filet mignon already, so your pics sure helped! We want to take our sons there. My older one's favorite food is steak and I'm sure he will enjoy it very much. My little one sometimes likes steak as well, but he could always order off the usual children's menu from the dining room and it doesn't cost anything to do that. I love it that NCL accommodates families with children so well! I already told the rest of the family that's cruising with us that they're also welcome to join us at Cagney's. I think it would be great for all 11 of us!

Edited by bangzoom6877

Cagney's is one of my favorites!!! The service is always top notch. This was the first time I had the sliders & they were so good, I could have been satisfied with just them, but of course I had to have a steak too, LOL!

Love reading the review!!!

Donna