Flight time FLL

TaylorMace

Here is a suggestion- arrange for a car service to be at the pier to take you to the airport.

My DH and I had difficulty finding a cab at FLL after we disembarked from a cruise taken during Spring break one year.

The pier area was extremely busy. Having a car available may help you get to the airport in time for your flight.

Another suggestion is to change your flight to a later time.

Southwest is flexible with changes to reservations.

While a later flight may cost more, consider the increased costs to you if you miss your flight- hotel room,meals and additional cab rides.

Why stress over a close schedule?

One way to spoil a vacation is to have transport issues on the way back home.

Please rethink your back-up plan. Don't count on finding a 'cheap' hotel at the airport or anywhere else in Fort Lauderdale in February. Hotels can (and do) double and triple their summer rates (simple case of supply and demand). Vacancies in high season can be hard to find. And as others have noted, taking a flight the next day may not be possible since flights in high season are often fully booked.

I'm going in November, and we're the only ship in port that day. It's the OP that's going in February with 6 ships.

As was I. :) I wasn't looking for the credit. My thought in posting that was to re-iterate that that's a horrible week to take a chance with an early flight.

Probably one of the two worst weeks out of the entire year in FLL. Not only is it almost impossible to re-book if you miss the flight but it could wind up costing a small fortune if you can't get a flight out and have to pay for a hotel room for the night or several nights. I've taken many Christmas cruises, been on too many ships when disembarkation in FLL didn't start until after 9AM, stood on outside check-in lines for half an hour (hour and a half inside) and another 45 minutes to an hour going through Security. I've seen people disembarking the ship and literally fighting to get a cab which are in very short supply that week. I've tried booking flights during February vacation week and it was pretty much impossible.

I hope it works out for the OP but I'm not optimistic. All of the variables are not in their favor.

One Cruise at the end of Presidents day week we stayed in FLL the night we arrived back in port and caught an early morning flight the next day on US Air. Well it was overbooked and they were offering a pretty good deal to take another flight. I told my wife I was going to go to the counter and check it out. Thinking even if we couldn't get out of FLL the deal was so good we could get a car and go to Miami or even Orlando. Well this was a Sunday and when I went to the counter there were NO seats from anywhere in Florida until Tuesday AM. So It can be busy that time of year

On another note though- three other times we have done the self disembarkation and have been off the ship and at the airport by 8:15

I agree. From about the 2nd week of January until mid-February, your odds of making a 10:10am flight are significantly improved. Still not a sure thing but I made 11:20am flights many times. March is also better.

Pam, it's President's Day weekend that the OP is asking about, and we here in SoFla get swamped that entire week! (no pun intended :)) Very different than Jan or even early Feb.

March can even be tough because of rolling spring break.

• 1 month later...

I just wanted to come back and post that I made my 10:25 am flight with two hours to spare. We disembarked the ship at 7:30 am and were sitting at gate at 8:15 am.

For future reference, this is how we did it. I got my "elite" letter saying that I could have Priority Disembarkation. I went to the Purser's desk and they put our group in the first walk-off. The Island Princess docked at 6:45 am, on Wednesday, November 26 (the day before Thanksgiving). We were the only ship in port. At 7:00 am, we went to the Elite, Platinum, Suites disembarkation lounge. At 7:30 am, the Circle Hostess said we could disembark. This was before all of the other people that were waiting in the dining room for walk-offs.

There was no line for the elevator in the terminal, or for customs/immigration. We caught a cab (no waiting) and arrived at the airport around 7:50 am. No lines at Southwest to check our bags and minimal lines at the security screening. Walked over the the gate to wait for our flight, looked at my watch, and couldn't believe it.:eek: It only 8:15 am.

Would I do this again? I'm not sure. It would probably depend on the number of ships in Port Everglades. Anyway, for those that were wondering, it's certainly doable. ;)

No lines at Southwest to check our bags and minimal lines at the security screening. Walked over the the gate to wait for our flight, looked at my watch, and couldn't believe it.:eek: It only 8:15 am.

Would I do this again? I'm not sure. ;)

So I guess the questions is....are there bars open at the airport at that time in the morning? LOL..... you know for coffee and Baileys. :D

Last time we flew from FLL, it was a very busy day, and the security lines were longer than I had ever seen. Fortunately we had a 3 pm flight so we had plenty of time. However, this year we booked a 10 ish flight time as I feel with only four ships in port that day it wont be a problem. One thing that makes me feel like it wont be an issue, and I know if the ship is late etc... Because of the long lines last time security was going through asking people what flights they were on and if the flight was leaving soon they moved them to the front of the line. If you self disembark with your luggage, and grab a taxi or shuttle... it is a very short ride...

We disembarked the Caribbean Princess on Saturday, 11/29. There were either 5 or 6 ships in port, including the Oasis of the Seas. Our flight on Southwest was at 10:20am. We did the Express walk-off and disembarked the ship by 7:30am. The longest wait we had was getting through Customs/Immigration as the line was extremely long as there were only 2 agents working. However, we were still out by 8am and at the airport and sitting at the gate by 8:30am. We were quite surprised that there were no lines for taxis as well as no line at security.

As others have said, having an early flight is taking a chance and a back-up plan is necessary. However, this is not first time we have done this. I did expect it to be a lot more crowded at the airport due to the Thanksgiving weekend and for all the ships that were in port. However, we did not experience any delays or problems.