Flight time FLL

TaylorMace

Is 10:10 am too early of a flight on the day of departure? We will be getting off the regal on February 22. If we do book the flight, what is the fastest way to get off the ship?
Some will say, "No problem" but that's one of the busiest weeks of the year at FLL. Maybe even worse than Christmas. Not only will there be cruise passengers but also what will feel like half the Northeast and Mid-West descending on the airport. Chances are lines will be extremely long and patience thin. Even going through Security will be a challenge that week.

The bottom line is that absolutely no way would I book a 10:10AM flight February vacation week at FLL.

Don't even consider it. The Regal usually docks around 7AM. The first self disembarkation passengers leave shortly after 8AM. Taxi to airport is 20 minutes. They'll need at least 90 minutes to check bags and clear security.

If Oasis or Allure are in port consider 2+hrs for the airport.

Don't even consider it. The Regal usually docks around 7AM. The first self disembarkation passengers leave shortly after 8AM. Taxi to airport is 20 minutes. They'll need at least 90 minutes to check bags and clear security.

If Oasis or Allure are in port consider 2+hrs for the airport.

There will be six ships in port that day - the Allure is one of them.

http://ports.cruisett.com/schedule/United_States_Of_America/212-Fort_Lauderdale_Florida/February_2015/

I second the don't even consider it vote.

Isn't that the end of President's week? Many schools have off and I'm sure will be down south. No way would I do that on a Sunday on a huge vacation week and with those ships in port.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Forums mobile app

Well I know better :rolleyes:, but I did book us on a 10:30 am flight out of Fort Lauderdale on 11/26/14. It shows that we are the only ship in port that day, so I am hoping we make our flight. Otherwise, my dad will probably kill me. Then I won't have to worry about the flight anyway. ;)

We had a 1:00 flight time and with delayed disembarkation and no taxis, we missed our flight by 15 minutes. Next time, I would not use a taxi when there are 6 ships in port. We were in a Suite, but couldn't leave the onboard waiting area. Finally, we left anyway. Then, we stood in line in the hot sun for 2 hours and gave up trying to get a taxi and grabbed an expensive shuttle. The taxis were only dropping off, not picking up passengers. In the future, I would use a Princess transfer if the port is busy. You are chancing it to make a flight at

10 am.

Isn't that the end of President's week? Many schools have off and I'm sure will be down south. No way would I do that on a Sunday on a huge vacation week and with those ships in port.
That's what I said above... Probably one of the worst days/weeks of the year to fly out of FLL. Anyone who says to do it is probably thinking of another time of the year, any of which would be better than the OPs disembarkation day.

Something to keep in mind for that week: if you miss your flight, there will be no other seats available on any other flights for possibly days. It'll be that busy. So plan very carefully.

If you have travel insurance there's a set number of hours between when the ship docks and when your flight leaves that are required for coverage. Different companies have different rules so it's smart to check before booking flights.

Why would anyone want to subject themselves to unnecessary stress while on vacation? It's simply not worth it. There are a thousand reasons for possible delay.

Last year we got off the ship on time. However, at the baggage area, even though my bags had distinctive tape on them, a passenger picked up a piece of my luggage. Had to wait until everyone in my area picked up there's to see whose was left to identify the culprit. This delayed us by an hour.

Well I know better :rolleyes:, but I did book us on a 10:30 am flight out of Fort Lauderdale on 11/26/14. It shows that we are the only ship in port that day, so I am hoping we make our flight. Otherwise, my dad will probably kill me. Then I won't have to worry about the flight anyway. ;)

One thing you can do ahead of time is check with your airline about any time restrictions on checking in your luggage. I lived many years near this airport and several airlines "say" they have restrictions. Last time I flew out of there, if I had luggage(didn't, only a carry on), I would have had to check the luggage no later than 45 minutes prior to take off time. Now, I know you will have luggage! So check to see if you do have a time restriction. Hate for you to get there by 9:55, but can't get on the flight because of your luggage!

Pooh

One thing you can do ahead of time is check with your airline about any time restrictions on checking in your luggage. I lived many years near this airport and several airlines "say" they have restrictions. Last time I flew out of there, if I had luggage(didn't, only a carry on), I would have had to check the luggage no later than 45 minutes prior to take off time. Now, I know you will have luggage! So check to see if you do have a time restriction. Hate for you to get there by 9:55, but can't get on the flight because of your luggage!

Pooh

LOL, you must know me! I am going to try and pack light because I won't have my husband to haul my luggage for me. ;) Of course for me, that means one 50 lb bag and a carry-on.:D

We're going on Southwest, so I will check with them. I did this same cruise in March, and we the last ones off the ship, and still got to the airport at 10:00 am. I'm hoping we don't have a problem. Worst case, we will get a cheap hotel at the airport and take another flight the next day. Or better yet, take the ship back to LA.;)

That's what I said above... Probably one of the worst days/weeks of the year to fly out of FLL. Anyone who says to do it is probably thinking of another time of the year, any of which would be better than the OPs disembarkation day.

Something to keep in mind for that week: if you miss your flight, there will be no other seats available on any other flights for possibly days. It'll be that busy. So plan very carefully.

Then I give you credit for stating it first. Okay? I was merely identifying why it was a busy week. I have traveled that week, and not being an educator or having kids, I was oblivious that it was a busy travel week. Maybe expanding up your broad statement will help someone else.

Then I give you credit for stating it first. Okay? I was merely identifying why it was a busy week. I have traveled that week, and not being an educator or having kids, I was oblivious that it was a busy travel week. Maybe expanding up your broad statement will help someone else.
As was I. :) I wasn't looking for the credit. My thought in posting that was to re-iterate that that's a horrible week to take a chance with an early flight.

Probably one of the two worst weeks out of the entire year in FLL. Not only is it almost impossible to re-book if you miss the flight but it could wind up costing a small fortune if you can't get a flight out and have to pay for a hotel room for the night or several nights. I've taken many Christmas cruises, been on too many ships when disembarkation in FLL didn't start until after 9AM, stood on outside check-in lines for half an hour (hour and a half inside) and another 45 minutes to an hour going through Security. I've seen people disembarking the ship and literally fighting to get a cab which are in very short supply that week. I've tried booking flights during February vacation week and it was pretty much impossible.

I hope it works out for the OP but I'm not optimistic. All of the variables are not in their favor.

Edited by Pam in CA

Worst case, we will get a cheap hotel at the airport and take another flight the next day. ;)

Please rethink your back-up plan. Don't count on finding a 'cheap' hotel at the airport or anywhere else in Fort Lauderdale in February. Hotels can (and do) double and triple their summer rates (simple case of supply and demand). Vacancies in high season can be hard to find. And as others have noted, taking a flight the next day may not be possible since flights in high season are often fully booked.

What about early January? I'm on the Regal leaving Jan 4th and getting back on Jan 11th. I was going to do taxis both ways. My flight isn't leaving until mid-afternoon on the day of return. Would it be wise to get the transfers, at least going back to the airport. How busy is that week? The cruise fare went down starting that week, so i was guessing there was less passengers expected.

What about early January? I'm on the Regal leaving Jan 4th and getting back on Jan 11th. I was going to do taxis both ways. My flight isn't leaving until mid-afternoon on the day of return. Would it be wise to get the transfers, at least going back to the airport. How busy is that week? The cruise fare went down starting that week, so i was guessing there was less passengers expected.

You should have no problem with a mid-afternoon flight. Once you can get a taxi (& we've had times when it was no problem at all!), it's 10 min to the airport.

Don't do it.:eek: If you book the flight with a 10:10am time and the airline

changes flight times on you to 9:50am you could be in deep trouble.:eek:

And for all the reasons mentioned before me. Princess won't let you do EZ Check before an 11:29am flight.

If it's a weekend, there will be many ships in port including either the Oasis or the Allure. Having lived here for over 30 years, I can tell you that it will be one of the busiest weekends of the year at FLL. I would not even chance a flight before noon. FLL security is tight and takes a long time.

You should have no problem with a mid-afternoon flight. Once you can get a taxi (& we've had times when it was no problem at all!), it's 10 min to the airport.
I agree. From about the 2nd week of January until mid-February, your odds of making a 10:10am flight are significantly improved. Still not a sure thing but I made 11:20am flights many times. March is also better.