Major itinerary changes for Princess in Japan

antipodean99

I believe there are very many Australians on the current Diamond Princess cruise in Japan who are directly affected hence I am posting it here.

This notification arrived today from Princess Cruises:

"Typhoon Vongfong has recently adjusted its course and so we must advise of further necessary updates to the cruise itinerary. Typhoon Vongfong is now tracking through the western Pacific, following roughly the same path recently traveled by Typhoon Phanfone. The latest forecasted path of the storm will place it directly over our planned itinerary putting in question planned calls to Kagoshima, Jeju, and Nagasaki. As you know, the weather patterns are unpredictable, however our marine experts now suggest the following itinerary to avoid the storm as much as possible and preserve the cruise highlights of Kobe and the Inland Sea. After our call to Kobe and our scenic cruising of the Inland Sea, we will then head through the Kanmon Strait to call to Busan (weather permitting) from 2:00 PM to 11:00 PM on Saturday, October 11.

As a gesture of goodwill, each guest who sails on the cruise will receive a Future Cruise Credit of 50% of the cruise fare paid for this voyage, which may be used on any Princess Cruise booked before the end of 2015. As previously communicated, all guests will receive onboard credit of two days per diem for the missed cruise days plus a refund of the taxes, fees, and port expenses for the missed ports less charges for new ports. "

Well done Princess I say considering the circumstances.

Hope everyone onboard understands.

Well done Princess I say considering the circumstances.

Hope everyone onboard understands.

[/font][/color]

We are in Yokohama at the moment waiting to board the Diamond Princess. We fully appreciate that Princess are in a difficult position but the revised itinerary bears no resemblance to the cruise we flew half way around the world for. To go from a nine night cruise with five full days in interesting ports to a seven night cruise with four sea days and two half days in port does not give us any confidence that Princess is working in our best interests.

It feels to us that Princess are 'forcing' us to go on a cruise that we don't want but cancelling and getting a full refund is not an option.

Princess has not explained why it is necessary to go all the way out to Busan and pass some great ports in Japan and to pack the itinerary with sea days. If it is a decision on safety grounds so that the ship is as far away from the typhoon as possible, then so be it. Just let us have a refund and we'll organise our own impromptu land tour to see the places we came for.

Sorry we don't share your positive view of Princess at the moment.

We fully appreciate that Princess are in a difficult position but the revised itinerary bears no resemblance to the cruise we flew half way around the world for. To go from a nine night cruise with five full days in interesting ports to a seven night cruise with four sea days and two half days in port does not give us any confidence that Princess is working in our best interests.
Of course they are not. But they are not only working in their own best interests either (which they would be legally entitled to do, although that would be foolish of them). They are trying to balance the two.

When you say that the new itinerary "bears no resemblance" to what you booked and paid for, some might find that rather exaggerated, but anyway, that's why you are now paying less. A lot less!

Of course they are not. But they are not only working in their own best interests either (which they would be legally entitled to do, although that would be foolish of them). They are trying to balance the two.

When you say that the new itinerary "bears no resemblance" to what you booked and paid for, some might find that rather exaggerated, but anyway, that's why you are now paying less. A lot less!

Yes, my wording was very deliberate - 'we are not confident that Princess is working in our best interests'.

I'm not sure why my statement is 'rather exaggerated' - the cruise we booked was called 'Kyushu and Onsens'. We now have no Kyushu and no Onsens!

Have you contacted Princess and asked if you will get a full refund if you cancel? I'd be very surprised if they aren't allowing that in a situation like this, but they probably won't spell it out in their communications because they do still want to encourage people to sail.

Perhaps you should talk to Princess and fully explore your options.

We fully appreciate that Princess are in a difficult position but the revised itinerary bears no resemblance to the cruise we flew half way around the world for. ...

Here is the current Notice posted on the website: (I truncated the itinerary for ease of reading.)

Dear Princess Guest,

As a follow-up to our most recent communication, we are pleased to report that we have secured berth space for Diamond Princess in Yokohama on October 8. Embarkation for your cruise will now be from 10:30 AM to 1:00 PM on Wednesday, October 8.

Guests with Princess Cruise Plus Hotel packages will be transferred directly from their hotel to the pier. For guests booked with an airport-to-pier transfer on embarkation day, we will communicate transfer details to you in the next 24 hours.

Each guest will receive a two-day per diem for the missed cruise day as an onboard credit which may also help offset unexpected out-of-pocket expenses.

Our weather-related delayed departure from Yokohama has necessitated changes to your cruise itinerary. Diamond Princess will now arrive in Kobe at 12:00 PM on Thursday, October 9, and depart to cruise the Inland Sea early on October 10. To accommodate this change, it is necessary to cancel our call to Beppu scheduled for October 10. We will continue to monitor the changing weather conditions and provide additional updates, if necessary, once you are on board.

The revised itinerary displays below.

Date

Wednesday, 10/8 Yokohama

Thursday, 10/9 (through 10/10 early morning) Kobe (for Kyoto)

Friday, 10/10 Japan Inland Sea (Scenic Cruising)

Saturday, 10/11 Kagoshima

Sunday, 10/12 Jeju

Monday, 10/13 Nagasaki

Tuesday, 10/14 At Sea

Wednesday, 10/15 Yokohama

Although this weather-related delay is beyond our control, we very much regret this disruption to your cruise holiday. A local phone number has been set up should any additional updates be necessary. Please call 03-3573-3603 to hear any updated cruise details.

Thank you for your attention to this important message. The entire staff and crew of Diamond Princess look forward to welcoming you on board.

Kind regards,

Princess Cruises

Looks like they got you pretty close to the original itinerary and are compensating you for the missed days.

Original Itinerary included:

Full day/overnight in Kobe. Now, you get noon 'til 3:30 a.m.

Inland Sea Cruising. Still get that.

Beppu. Canceled.

Kagoshima. Still get that.

Jeju. Still get that.

Nagasaki. Still get that.

Two Sea Days. Now you get one.

AND, I assume you still get the 50% FCC.

The situation is constantly changing and the notion that Princess is not working on your behalf is belied by the new itinerary. Seems to me that they burned the midnight oil on your behalf.

Edited by JimmyVWine

Here is the current Notice posted on the website: (I truncated the itinerary for ease of reading.)

Dear Princess Guest,

As a follow-up to our most recent communication, we are pleased to report that we have secured berth space for Diamond Princess in Yokohama on October 8. Embarkation for your cruise will now be from 10:30 AM to 1:00 PM on Wednesday, October 8.

Guests with Princess Cruise Plus Hotel packages will be transferred directly from their hotel to the pier. For guests booked with an airport-to-pier transfer on embarkation day, we will communicate transfer details to you in the next 24 hours.

Each guest will receive a two-day per diem for the missed cruise day as an onboard credit which may also help offset unexpected out-of-pocket expenses.

Our weather-related delayed departure from Yokohama has necessitated changes to your cruise itinerary. Diamond Princess will now arrive in Kobe at 12:00 PM on Thursday, October 9, and depart to cruise the Inland Sea early on October 10. To accommodate this change, it is necessary to cancel our call to Beppu scheduled for October 10. We will continue to monitor the changing weather conditions and provide additional updates, if necessary, once you are on board.

The revised itinerary displays below.

Date

Wednesday, 10/8 Yokohama

Thursday, 10/9 (through 10/10 early morning) Kobe (for Kyoto)

Friday, 10/10 Japan Inland Sea (Scenic Cruising)

Saturday, 10/11 Kagoshima

Sunday, 10/12 Jeju

Monday, 10/13 Nagasaki

Tuesday, 10/14 At Sea

Wednesday, 10/15 Yokohama

Although this weather-related delay is beyond our control, we very much regret this disruption to your cruise holiday. A local phone number has been set up should any additional updates be necessary. Please call 03-3573-3603 to hear any updated cruise details.

Thank you for your attention to this important message. The entire staff and crew of Diamond Princess look forward to welcoming you on board.

Kind regards,

Princess Cruises

Looks like they got you pretty close to the original itinerary and are compensating you for the missed days.

Original Itinerary included:

Full day/overnight in Kobe. Now, you get noon 'til 3:30 a.m.

Inland Sea Cruising. Still get that.

Beppu. Canceled.

Kagoshima. Still get that.

Jeju. Still get that.

Nagasaki. Still get that.

Two Sea Days. Now you get one.

AND, I assume you still get the 50% FCC.

The situation is constantly changing and the notion that Princess is not working on your behalf is belied by the new itinerary. Seems to me that they burned the midnight oil on your behalf.

The new itinerary released today shows that Beppu, Kagoshima, Jeju, and Nagasaki are all cancelled. The only ports are Kobe (half day) and Busan, South Korea (half day) with four full and two half sea days. Hence my earlier comment that the new itinerary bears no resemblance to the cruise we booked.

In return for this major change, Princess is offering a two day per diem refund as obc for the two day delayed departure plus a 50% discount on a future cruise.

I'm not sure why my statement is 'rather exaggerated' - the cruise we booked was called 'Kyushu and Onsens'. We now have no Kyushu and no Onsens!
I do understand your disappointment! However you are still getting your meals and accommodation on board, and the transportation between ports (such as they are). I say this because you mentioned that you would rather do an impromptu land tour on your own, but given the very high costs of hotels, restaurants, and transportation in Japan, your refunded cruise fare may not have taken you very far. Aside from the fact that traveling on your own at the last minute into the path of a typhoon does not seem to me preferable than staying on board a cruise ship, even one that doesn't stop anywhere, but you are certainly entitled to hold the opposite opinion.

In any case, if you have given up hope of getting a fully refunded cancellation and you must board the ship tomorrow (or later today), I can only suggest that you try to make the best of the cruise that Princess is able to offer you.

The new itinerary released today shows that Beppu, Kagoshima, Jeju, and Nagasaki are all cancelled.

Sorry. I saw "Oct. 6" on the press release, but that was the cruise date, and not the release date. If the new itinerary cancels pretty much everything, then I would have to agree that while not obligated to do so, it would be a nice goodwill gesture if they simply said: "We understand if this new itinerary does not match what you had hoped for in your "once in a lifetime adventure" and if you wish to cancel and re-book a different cruise within the next year, please feel free to do so."

We are in Yokohama at the moment waiting to board the Diamond Princess. We fully appreciate that Princess are in a difficult position but the revised itinerary bears no resemblance to the cruise we flew half way around the world for. To go from a nine night cruise with five full days in interesting ports to a seven night cruise with four sea days and two half days in port does not give us any confidence that Princess is working in our best interests.

It feels to us that Princess are 'forcing' us to go on a cruise that we don't want but cancelling and getting a full refund is not an option.

Princess has not explained why it is necessary to go all the way out to Busan and pass some great ports in Japan and to pack the itinerary with sea days. If it is a decision on safety grounds so that the ship is as far away from the typhoon as possible, then so be it. Just let us have a refund and we'll organise our own impromptu land tour to see the places we came for.

I sympathize with you. It would have been a good decision to buy cancel for any reason insurance - it appears you didn't and you took a risk. Princess' offer is pretty good, IMHO. It doesn't have to give you anything for weather situations. I was on Regent once (when it was Radisson Seven Seas) and we missed two of the ports - nothing but returned port fees. Have a good time and understand these things happen and most (if not all of us) have been in your shoes.

I would like to re-emphasize the point that Princess is as much a victim of the typhoon as all of the cruise guests are. Everybody is losing here. Princess seems to be doing what it can to make sure its guests don't lose everything. It would be nice for the passengers to agree that Princess shouldn't lose everything, either.

I can understand why the OP is upset, I would be totally upset if I traveled halfway around the world to see Japan and then had the itinerary changed so drastically. Nobody has control over the weather, but you do have control over your travels and you can fix the outcome here by making your own plans. I would be on the phone with Princess getting a refund, not get on that ship, and plan my own itinerary so I could visit the places I wanted to see.

I have no doubt that Princess will refund your money for the cruise, just be smart enough take over here and don't get on that ship! Enjoy Japan...

I would like to re-emphasize the point that Princess is as much a victim of the typhoon as all of the cruise guests are. Everybody is losing here. Princess seems to be doing what it can to make sure its guests don't lose everything. It would be nice for the passengers to agree that Princess shouldn't lose everything, either.

With the difference being that Princess has many more opportunities to make back what it has lost, while most passengers do not. There are many, many situations where businesses give refunds when they have no obligation whatsoever to do so. But they do so in the hopes that goodwill will cause happy customers to return, cause them to post on social media about the positive treatment they received, and recommend their product to friends and relatives. I can't tell you the number of times that I have received refunds of non-refundable plane tickets from American Airlines when a major Winter storm was approaching. A simple call to the airline explaining that a refund to me will be one less person they have to try to re-book onto oversold flights once my original flight incurs the inevitable cancellation, and they are more than happy to refund my money and keep me from going to the airport making their re-ticketing line one person shorter. Some companies "get it". Princess is pretty good in that regard, I find. But there are times when it could be a tad bit more flexible.

...Princess has not explained why it is necessary to go all the way out to Busan and pass some great ports in Japan and to pack the itinerary with sea days. If it is a decision on safety grounds so that the ship is as far away from the typhoon as possible, then so be it. Just let us have a refund and we'll organise our own impromptu land tour to see the places we came for.
This might help explain why your better option is to be on the ship far away from the typhoon. An impromptu land tour in the path of a category four typhoon is foolish.

http://www.weather.com/news/weather-hurricanes/typhoon-vongfong-japan-threat-20141006

October is at the end of typhoon season, so this bad weather is not entirely unexpected.

The poster in Japan is from the UK, and insurance deals there may be different. But for Americans, at least, Princess' Platinum Protection (an upgrade that would be free for them at no additional money) does provide 100% cancel-for-any-reason protection at a reasonable cost. This is just the sort of situation you'd buy that insurance for.

Given the fact that Princess is marketing the Diamond to a local market, I'm betting that significant number of Japanese pax are less concerned about missing Nagasaki than the poster is. IMO, Princess is doing pretty well in difficult circumstances, particularly as they're under no contractual obligation to do anything but refund port fees for missed ports.

Edited by shepp

Even without insurance Princess is giving back 72% of the fare as credit, plus port fees, plus the pax still get to take a 7 day cruise out of harm's way. I would be happy with that deal. No way would I be trying to negotiate a refund so I could stay in Kagoshima and experience a category 4 or 5 storm.

With the difference being that Princess has many more opportunities to make back what it has lost, while most passengers do not.
I'm not sure what you mean by this: do you mean the passengers' monetary losses (e.g. unexpected hotel costs) or their intangible losses (e.g. disappointment)?

I agree with your other idea, that Princess could have offered a 100% future cruise credit (not a cash refund) for people who preferred to cancel altogether after the latest update. Since most of the booked guests will have already traveled to the departure port, I think few of them would actually have preferred this option. The ones who are taking the cruise are getting a much better deal, in my opinion, as long as they can find some way to find something to enjoy about the cruise, despite the reduced itinerary.

This same situation happened last year - Crown was scheduled for a TA out of Southampton when the "Storm of the Century" was bearing down on England. We sat in port for 2 1/2 days - missed 2 ports in France and Spain. Princess gave us all 50% FCC and we were very pleased with that. Once we could leave port the rest of the cruise was awesome.

I lived in Japan for four years and had the option of this 1 week cruise vs a three week cruise staring from Hong Kong next Monday ( won the cruise about a month ago). Luckily enough we chose the three week option and have demonstrations to contend with, but these things are not in our control. I missed Beppu when living in Japan and would be sorely irritated to miss it but while hotels are the same expense as every other country, food is cheap and great, reliable transport is also very reasonably priced. The Shinkansen (bullet train) is priced better than the high speed train in Spain I took earlier this year and is faster than the customs and wait at an airport. Domestic flights aren't that dear and any Japanese travel agent will have fantastic hotel and flight options if your keen enough to stumble through some language difficulties.

With cancelling the trip and the likelihood of receiving a full refund I'd take a very enjoyable land trip. Japan is an incredibly safe country ( safer than all of the so called western countries) and Japanese people while shy, love to try their English out and will WALK random strangers to correct addresses or train platforms in order to help them . Think of the glass half full and there is beautiful opportunity for that unexpected trip of a lifetime waiting for you if you have the gumption or courage to explore! You honestly can't find a better country where people won't try to take any advantage of you.....

Good luck and enjoy....HIS is a cheap and cheerful travel agency found in every shopping centre, white with big blue letters. Take a pen and paper, many read English well but are a bit shy to speak it.

Not sure what the complainer would be happy with - going to the ports anyway, a lot of sea sick days, tossing and turning - not able to walk outdoors on the ship - all would be locked down. No need to feed anyone! Everyone too green to eat! Confined to cabins!Bonus! Supplies of barf bags delivered to your rooms free!. Limited room power. Lights coming on and off! Raining so hard, you look like you are at sea when you are docked.

Get to a port - no port staff to allow the ship to dock and, if they find staff - the winds and waves so great - oops wait till we scoop you out of the ocean! You hear thumping - just the ship hitting the wall of the dock and doing damage to the dock and the ship!

No out trips, locals smart enought to stay home - not take some demanding tourists to their "booked" destinations!

What do you expect to see???

Besides the fact that the Captain and a lot of the senior staff would be accountable for the damage to the ship and safety of the people disappointed to miss the expected ports, but much happier to at least be alive!!

Please - go take your own side trips - do not board the ship - you will not be missed! Sounds like you would complain the whole cruise anyway!!

As other stated - most of us have had to miss ports - dissapointed? Yes!

Alive and well to go on other cruises in the future - YES!!

Please do not book cruises - not your cup of tea!

An update (6.39 am local time)

I emailed Princess yesterday requesting the ability to cancel - no reply. I did receive a response from our TA timed at 23.04 local time (when I was asleep!) which stated that we could cancel with a full refund but the offer expired at 6pm UK time (2am local time). Consequently, when I awoke this morning and read my emails the offer had already expired. :confused:

Therefore, our only option is to board the ship which we will do in the next few hours.

To respond to a couple of points raised in previous posts:

We always have travel insurance that is quite comprehensive but does not cover 'at a whim' cancellation - I am not aware of such a product on sale in the UK. The Princess At-Ease waiver product is not available in the UK and would not have covered us for cancellation within 72 hours of departure anyway.

With regards the wisdom of taking an impromptu land tour knowing a typhoon was approaching - we had factored this into our thinking. When Typhoon Phanfone passed through two days ago we simply stayed in our hotel for 12 hours until it passed - once the storm passed, the weather was bright sunshine within the hour! We would do exactly the same if and when Typhoon Vongfang hit.

Anyway, that's all theoretical - we will board the ship, put the disappointment behind us and make the most of it. Many thanks for the helpful suggestions and good wishes. Bring on Vongfang! :eek:

Edited by Omega1