Does Facetime work on the cruise

I have been on prob 40+ Royal cruises however this will be only my 2nd cruise with out the kids. I am debating on adding the discount plan for cell at sea or using facetime to call and talk to the kids (1.5 and 3.5) year olds.

Does anyone know if face time works on the ships internet?

Edited by goofy810

I have been on prob 40+ Royal cruises however this will be only my 2nd cruise with out the kids. I am debating on adding the discount plan for cell at sea or using facetime to call and talk to the kids (1.5 and 3.5) year olds.

On the Grandeur? Nooooooooooooo.

Very unlikely. Your best bet is to find WiFi in one of the ports.

On Oasis and Allure it used to only work on Incoming calls. Outgoing would always fail to connect. It was choppy, but we were at sea.

We haven't done it for a few cruises so can't confirm that it still works that way, but it did November of 2013.

Voice-over-IP seems to be blocked in general. Have tried it several times (e.g. recently OoS and BoS) but none worked. Did not try incoming calls though.

So I assume that Facetime is also blocked.

Guess that this is done to keep the bandwidth up and not jammed with everybody doing phone calls via internet, plus to charge big if you do phone calls using your phone while being at sea ...

Am wondering how this goes on the Quantum class with the new satellite technique having a much higher bandwidth ... does anybody have any information on this ?

Edited by ChristianDecker

Oh well i guess its cell at sea prepaid it is then, I need the break from my kids but need to talk to them every night

Don't know your cell carrier, but Verizon and AT&T have cruise ship packages that reduce the per minute cost of voice calls.