Passport valid for 6 months beyond your date of country exit

pzico

I'm doing southern Caribbean cruise with Jewel on December. Just noticed that most destination have following requirement according to Visa Central: "Hold a passport valid for at least six months beyond your date of country exit"

I can say my passport is valid 5 and half months beyond the date of country exit, but not full 6. I suppose there are no exceptions to this? Last time I did Caribbean cruise, I don't remember my passport being checked on any of the ports. Actually I think it was even said that you don't need to carry passport when you leave the ship.

I'm doing southern Caribbean cruise with Jewel on December. Just noticed that most destination have following requirement according to Visa Central: "Hold a passport valid for at least six months beyond your date of country exit"

I can say my passport is valid 5 and half months beyond the date of country exit, but not full 6. I suppose there are no exceptions to this? Last time I did Caribbean cruise, I don't remember my passport being checked on any of the ports. Actually I think it was even said that you don't need to carry passport when you leave the ship.

I don't believe any of the Caribbean cruises that Royal has require the passport to be valid for 6 months beyond the cruise.

Before You Board section at Royal Caribbean website says:

"All non U.S. or Canadian passport holders should contact the Embassy (Consular Services) of each country on your cruise or VisaCentral for specific visa requirements, information, forms and fees for your nationality."

And then when I take a look at:

http://visacentral.com/visas.php

My passport is from Finland, but I'm a resident of US. But for easier comparison, let's fill information as an American (I get the same with option Finland):

I hold passport from: United States

State of Residence: California, Northern

I'm travelling to: Barbados

I'm travelling for: Tourist

-> submit

" you must:

• Hold a passport valid for at least six months beyond your date of country exit and with one blank visa page "

Just noticed, that if I choose option "Transit", it doesn't say such requirement. Are stops at ports considered as transit?

Maybe better I call RC, but afraid they don't leave me any options as they have to give official safe replies. Will be hard to get my passport renewed so quickly :(

You do not even need a passport to travel on a round-trip cruise ship from a US port. Don't worry about it. The only thing you could possibly be concerned about is an emergency. And even then you only need a passport valid for one day after your return to the US.

Just noticed, that if I choose option "Transit", it doesn't say such requirement. Are stops at ports considered as transit?

Maybe better I call RC, but afraid they don't leave me any options as they have to give official safe replies. Will be hard to get my passport renewed so quickly :(

Yes, cruise ship stops are considered "in transit".

Nice to know they are considered transit! :)

Round-trip cruise starts departs from San Juan. I don't need passport to enter to Puerto Rico, as the flight is from US, therefore domestic. So I'll be just travelling with my US Driving License to Puerto Rico. And show the passport at Cruise Terminal if requested.

I didn't find all stops, like St. Thomas from VisaCentral, but I suppose no differences:

21-Dec Charlotte Amalie, St. Thomas 8:00 AM 5:30 PM Docked s.gif 22-Dec Basseterre, St. Kitts 8:00 AM 5:30 PM Docked s.gif 23-Dec Philipsburg, St. Maarten 8:00 AM 5:00 PM Docked s.gif 24-Dec Fort De France, Martinique 9:00 AM 6:00 PM Docked s.gif 25-Dec Bridgetown, Barbados 8:00 AM 5:00 PM Docked

Just keep in mind that all the advice you are getting is for US citizens with US passports. A US citizen leaving a US port and returning to the same port does not need a passport to travel (do need a drivers license and a birth certificate though) and as far as I know none of the southern caribbean countries require any visa. that being said, if you are not a US citizen or do not have a US passport, you might just want to double check that that applies to you as well.

Edited by sanger727

I agree with grannycb and sanger727. As you hold a passport from Finland, the US citizen rules may not necessarily apply, regardless of whether you are resident or not, it is most likely down to where your passport is held.

Is it really worth risking your holiday for the sake of 2 weeks difference? Just renew your passport and you may even be able to carry over remaining time on your current passport. I have friends in Europe who were able to do this (UK can carry over up to 9 months) so hopefully Finnish rules will be similar and you will not lose any months.

Edited by Cruisingthesuitelife

It's challenging to get passport in this time frame. I would have done so earlier, but didn't pay proper attention to 6 month rule. If it's clear that visiting ports is considered transit, I should have no problem, as it clearly says that 6 month rule is required only if you arrive as tourist instead of transiting through.

You do not even need a passport to travel on a round-trip cruise ship from a US port. Don't worry about it. The only thing you could possibly be concerned about is an emergency. And even then you only need a passport valid for one day after your return to the US.

This blanket statement is not true. There are countries (Costa Rica, for example) that requires passports for cruise ship passengers.

You will need to check your itinerary and documents required section for any cruise you may book.

I don't know if anyone knows the answer to this. And we have PLENTY of time to take care of a new passport if necessary.

As far as the 6 month rule, does anyone know how tough they are about it? MY BF's passport will hit the 6 month mark while on our April cruise. I think we get off on the 18th of April and his 6 month mark would be April 15th.

Cayman, Jamaica, Cozumel.

Thanks.

This blanket statement is not true. There are countries (Costa Rica, for example) that requires passports for cruise ship passengers.

You will need to check your itinerary and documents required section for any cruise you may book.

We've done numerous cruises that included stops in Costa Rica and have never had to show our passports.

I don't know if anyone knows the answer to this. And we have PLENTY of time to take care of a new passport if necessary.

As far as the 6 month rule, does anyone know how tough they are about it? MY BF's passport will hit the 6 month mark while on our April cruise. I think we get off on the 18th of April and his 6 month mark would be April 15th.

Thanks.

These countries do not require a passport as long as your cruise begins and ends at the same US port.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Thanks.

If you are doing a closed loop itinerary (beginning and ending in the same US Port) all you will need is a photo ID and a certified copy of your birth certificate.

From Celebrity web site. I don't know how well they enforce this. (emphasis mine)

Getting Prepared

You've booked the cruise. Congratulations. Here are a few things to think about. First, your passport can't have less than six months on it before it needs to be renewed. (If that's the case, renew it now.) Next, consider how you're getting to the ship and whether you need a transfer from the airport. Also, please print your luggage tags-so it will be very clear which ship you're sailing on, the dates you're going, and the stateroom you're occupying. And, last but not least, think about what are you going to wear!

From Celebrity web site. I don't know how well they enforce this. (emphasis mine)

Getting Prepared

You've booked the cruise. Congratulations. Here are a few things to think about. First, your passport can't have less than six months on it before it needs to be renewed. (If that's the case, renew it now.) Next, consider how you're getting to the ship and whether you need a transfer from the airport. Also, please print your luggage tags-so it will be very clear which ship you're sailing on, the dates you're going, and the stateroom you're occupying. And, last but not least, think about what are you going to wear!

Here are the current passport requirements from the RCI Website.

We've done numerous cruises that included stops in Costa Rica and have never had to show our passports.

The Costa Rica requirement is fairly recent.

We just returned from a Princess cruise and our cruise documents notified us that several Central American, South American, and Caribbean countries now require passports for cruise ship passengers.

The cruise went to Grand Cayman, Honduras, Mexico and the Bahamas. At least one of the ports on our itinerary required a passport; I don't remember which one.

I don't remember all the countries listed in the passport required section and I no longer have the cruise information. However, Costa Rica was definitely one of the countries that now requires a passport. I remember because we did a land tour of Costa Rica in July, and the country also had very strict requirements for anyone traveling with children under the age of 16. This included families traveling together.

I have a passport and my travel agent always verifies that we plan to bring the passports when we cruise.

I was just trying to give a head's up to everyone who blithely assumes the USA requirement of a birth certificate and driver's license for close looped cruises applies to other countries.

It doesn't, and you need to check the itinerary and requirements of the countries that you may be visiting.

Hopefully, your travel agent will give you a head's up for the need of a passport or do your online check in ASAP and read the cruise documentation information.

Edited by Homosassa