Ports Of Call Panama Canal Cruise

apensa

I hope I am not wasting anyone's time but if you have taken a Panama Canal Cruise with stops at the following ports, I would appreciate any pros and/or cons on what you found and if a shore excursion is worthwhile.

We will be on the HA Veendam in April for a 17 day cruise through the Panama Canal and ending up in Boston in early May. The Ports that I have no information on are: Huatulco, MX, Puerto Quetzal, Guatamala, Corinto, Nicaragua, Puerto Caldera, Costa Rica and Cartagena, Columbia.

I have been to the other ports we will stop at (like Puerto Vallarta) so just wondering if this is all more of the same thing.........little shops selling trinkets, etc.

One thing I really enjoyed in Costa rica was the aerial tram. Huatulco is a place where you can spend a day right where you dock. There is a lovely beach right there. I'm not a big shorex person as I find way too many hal excursions go to churches and museums. That just isn't my thing. I don't feel comfortable doing private shorex.

One thing I really enjoyed in Costa rica was the aerial tram. Huatulco is a place where you can spend a day right where you dock. There is a lovely beach right there. I'm not a big shorex person as I find way too many hal excursions go to churches and museums. That just isn't my thing. I don't feel comfortable doing private shorex.

Huatulco was a great port stop! Loved having the beach right there! :D

LuLu

Puerto Quetzal take the tour or transfer to Antiqua, old city in the mountains. Be sure to explore the cathedral and ruins of the original building behind it. Take a tour in Cartagena. I have done the carriage ride, and a walking tour. EMEM

Corinto -- we took the tour of the town the first time we were there. Not much to see. Another time we just walked around their little town square -- not many shops and most were closed.

Costa Rica -- we have done the boat and train ride.

Hautulco -- we have done the five bays by catamaran.

Cartagena -- we did the city tour that included the fort. One time we did the boat tour of the bay -- horribly hot.

Puerto Quetzal -- we flew to Tikal.

Hautulco is wonderful - great beach and cafes. But also easy to get away for a nice tour with local operators, too.

I hate Corinto, won't bother to even get off the ship in that port again, after a couple of visits.

The other ports - there are lots of options available for excursions. It all depends on what interests you. At the ports it's all the same souvenir, gift shop or stall stuff.

Edited by Lizzie68

I hope I am not wasting anyone's time but if you have taken a Panama Canal Cruise with stops at the following ports, I would appreciate any pros and/or cons on what you found and if a shore excursion is worthwhile.

We will be on the HA Veendam in April for a 17 day cruise through the Panama Canal and ending up in Boston in early May. The Ports that I have no information on are: Huatulco, MX, Puerto Quetzal, Guatamala, Corinto, Nicaragua, Puerto Caldera, Costa Rica and Cartagena, Columbia.

I have been to the other ports we will stop at (like Puerto Vallarta) so just wondering if this is all more of the same thing.........little shops selling trinkets, etc.

Fodors pocket guide should help point you in the right direction.

Edited by Folk Singer