Four days home and my head is still "rocking"!

Help! I returned Sunday morning from a 7 day cruise and it's Thursday evening and I'm still "rocking". Has anyone ever had this happen this long? I'm not nauseaus, but slightly dizzy and walking like a sobriety test flunkee! Have been taking ginger tablets for the past month to hopefully avoid this. Any suggestions as to what I can do? I was not seasick on the trip.

Yes, I have had that happen to me. I even went to the Doctor. I wasn't sick on the ship, but I got it when I got off. She said it was a "reverse sea sickness". I got some RX pills from her for the dizziness, but she said that it would go away by itself. She said that she sees it quite a bit and it usually goes away within a month or so. Hope you feel better soon!

We returned Sunday morning as well. I'm sort of not reeling today, but it's the first day I haven't felt that every room I was in was moving. It's not the greatest feeling -- I agree. Mine is usually over by a week at most. Hope yours lets up soon!

I have also heard it called Land Sickness. I had a terrible case after our 11 day cruise in March. I wore the patch on the cruise ship and took it off upon our return. After feeling TERRIBLE the next day I went home and put the (scopolamine) patch back on and wore it for 4-5 days. (I don't have the side effects others speak about). After I took the patch off the second time I didn't have any problems.

I don't have any tips if you didn't wear the patch on the cruise!

Best cure known to man......Take another cruise!!! :D

Beleive it or not, I use to get it all the time when cruising 7 day cruises....then we did a 15 day, and the next year an 11 day and I had no symptoms at all. My doctor told me my brain had more time to adjust to the ships motion. Go figure! :D

With treatment it takes about a week to calm down.

Without treatment it takes 7 days...........LOL

Worth it though- huh? Like a very expensive hangover. The bad news is,it gets worse every time. Ask me if I care..............:)

I enjoy it and it doesn't bother me. It just reminds me of being back on the sea.

I have had it really bad where it didn't go away for two weeks. And then I have had times where I am not affected. I don't know why.

All I know is that it has something to do with the inner ear.

I had the same sensation after my 9 night cruise in July. It lasted for four days, and was annoying. I didn't have it on the ship, but did have one day when the seas were rougher, in which I took some bonine. It eventually faded away. No one else in my family had it. I have bad sinuses, and frequent infections. With the connection to the ears and equilibrium, could this be a common thread?

It really affected me while I was sleeping or trying to wake up. I felt like the bed was moving with the waves. Weird feeling...took a few days, but the Bonine after the cruise works good for my hubbie.

I enjoy it and it doesn't bother me. It just reminds me of being back on the sea.

I have had it really bad where it didn't go away for two weeks. And then I have had times where I am not affected. I don't know why.

All I know is that it has something to do with the inner ear.

I had this for over two weeks once. I used a patch durning the cruise and I believe it made it worse. The only thing which helped was driving a car or drinking. When I went to the DR. two weeks later they gave me a shot of something and it was gone. I have not use a patch again, 6 cruises later, and I have not had any sea sickness to speak of and never this feeling after I return home.

I had it for a couple days--just got back last Sunday from a 9-day. :)

I was worried about nausea while it was happening because the last day at sea on my cruise we got swell from Hurricane (or whatever she is, lol) Irene

and THAT nauseated me. I never got seasick before and that was yucky. The swell was coming to us from the side and that sideways rolling got to me.

Anyway, it did go away on its own. I did not wear a patch on the cruise and didn't call a doctor either lol!

I also had the dizziness and light headed feeling you are talking about after my april cruise on the Dawn. It took a week or so to feel better. My doctor prescribed meclazine and that seemed to work. I wonder if my wearing the patch on the cruise and then removing it at the end of the trip could have been the cause. I've been on several cruises and never got seasick but the rogue wave cruise was pretty rough so I put it on. It was truly a horrible feeling!!!

Joanne

I found that I had this after several cruises, but it was worse after a repositioning cruise where we had no ports, just sea days. Last year we did a 7 day cruise, but had 6 ports, and I didn't feel this at all after. Maybe for me, getting off the ship every day for a while helped.

Well I'm glad to hear that I'm not the only one who suffers from this. Truffles...thanks for the official diagnosis. I researched it a little bit and there are people who have it for 6-12 months. YIKES! Mine better go away. I was amazed that are even support groups for people who suffer from this! Tonight, after having made this original post, I went out with some friends and had a wine cooler. It went away. Now I only had one wine cooler and after a couple of hours that old feeling came back. Either I better start drinking more, or go on another cruise like Arizona recommended!:)

Sorry for you, I always experience this also, and never get seasick. Last time I took Bonine last day of the cruise, first few days on land and it was less severe. I have some sinus trouble, someone told me that is part of the problem. We are going on our first 10 day cruise ever in October, staying one post night in Boston, and I hope I am okay to enjoy Boston. Hope you get better, Nancy

I too have had this "land sickness" when I get back from cruising. I wear the patch on the cruise and now I just leave mine on for a few days when we get back and if needed put on another for the next few days and it seems to go away within the week. Good luck to you hope you feel better!

Kel

I too have this "reverse motion sickness." I do not have a problem with the motion of the ships at all. After my 2nd cruise, it took about a month for the symptoms to go away, and only after I went to a doctor and got a motion sickness pills. For my last cruise, I had my doctor prescribe meclizine before I went. I took a 1/2 pill each day of my cruise, and it only took 2 days for it to clear up after the cruise.

Best cure known to man......Take another cruise!!! :D

Beleive it or not, I use to get it all the time when cruising 7 day cruises....then we did a 15 day, and the next year an 11 day and I had no symptoms at all. My doctor told me my brain had more time to adjust to the ships motion. Go figure! :D

This is one of the best remedies known.:D I can only speak for myself; when I first started cruising, every 7 to 10 day trip would give me "sea legs". It would take somewhere between a week to two to finally shake the feeling that I was ALWAYS rocking!! Then we took a 28 day cruise, and it only took a day to lose the feeling. That's the last time I have had "sea legs" on land. Now, it really doesn't matter how long or rough the cruise is, I'm back to normal within 24 hours.

The motto................continue to cruise!!!! YES!:D

Me and my wife had the same problem after our 7day cruise last Nov. Luckily it only lasted a day. We did have 10 foot seas one night on the way back in. We rocked pretty good as the Dream is a smaller ship. Luckily we had a cabin midships on a lower deck.

Dave

Archived