Need Advice--Will insurance pay this claim?

clan

We are scheduled for a cruise in a week and a half. My companion injured his knee a few weeks ago and it's not improving much. He's been to the orthopedist a couple of times, had a cortisone injection and prescription NSAID's, but still very difficult for him to walk, even with a cane. I'm looking for educated opinions on if our travel insurance will pay should we decide to cancel. I've looked at the claim form for the insurance we have, and two questions concern me: "Did you advise the insured to cancel travel plans prior to departure as a result of this condition?" and "If No, on what date was it reasonable for the Insured to cancel their travel plans?" I don't know that the MD will ever say he CAN'T go. Will we need to take him in a wheelchair in order to not lose our money?

Any thoughts from those of you who are knowledgeable and experienced with the ins and outs of travel insurance would be appreciated.

In cases of medical cancellation it is entirely dependent on the Dr. saying you should not go.

However, every physician I know is willing to recommend cancellation if there is any valid concern over one's ability to manage; all the patient needs to do is ask. You should not be 'forced' into going when you think it is too difficult or painful to manage.

The concerns tha I see.

Will the Dr. sign an official and legal document indicating that the injured cannot travel?

You say your companion hurt themselves "weeks " ago.

This is important. It is the travelers responsibility to mitigate any potential losses.

In other words, did the injured party get injured when, let's say, the cruise lines cancellation was only a 50% cancellation fee but the injured party waited to cancel until the policy was a 100% cancellation fee.

The insurance could find that they are only on the hook for 50%

The concerns tha I see.

Will the Dr. sign an official and legal document indicating that the injured cannot travel?

You say your companion hurt themselves "weeks " ago.

This is important. It is the travelers responsibility to mitigate any potential losses.

In other words, did the injured party get injured when, let's say, the cruise lines cancellation was only a 50% cancellation fee but the injured party waited to cancel until the policy was a 100% cancellation fee.

The insurance could find that they are only on the hook for 50%

Assuming this is a covered medical issue (not part of any excluded pre-existing condition, for example), this will probably depend upon the date that the physician determined that the person could not travel and then the very timely cancelling to avoid larger penalty costs than necessary.

If it was expected that the recovery would be such that person could travel, but there were complications or recovery just wasn't as expected (or person took a turn for the worse before better), then as long as the physician states when the "may not travel" was finally determined, that's what should count.

But if it was very obvious on Day X that person would not be able to travel, and the travel plans weren't cancelled until later AND a higher penalty period was then in effect, that could indeed cause serious problems in terms of insurance coverage.

CALL your travel insurance broker OR the insurer after determining what the physician's statement is.

GeezerCouple