APOLOGIES.....another upgrade question ?!?

This upcoming cruise will be just my third one , so my knowledge and experience plus location is very limited.

However, For this upcoming cruise I did book an Oceanview guarantee as that was within my budget and that was all I expected to receive. I was allocated a room number by RCI 3 days after booking which really exceeded my expectations. As the allocated room was at the very front of the ship, the on line TA allowed me to move a few doors down . I am on deck 3 . I did not expect any more that this.

However , the recent price drops have made me consider if I could afford a balcony .

You have a great attitude. With that attitude, whatever decision you make, you will surely have a terrific time. Enjoy!

You have a great attitude. With that attitude, whatever decision you make, you will surely have a terrific time. Enjoy!

Omg ! Have I got news !!!

I mulled over the balcony options and decided to take a gamble and opt for the guarantee balcony $433 and loss of OBC $100 : at best lovely fresh air , at worst lovely fresh air shared with a life boat !

I just called the TA and as my agent was not in I spoke to another colleague and he has managed to upgrade to guarantee balcony with JUST a loss of OBC $100 and no fee to pay !!!!!!!

I am amazed and await my room allocation next week . I am so happy I decided to take a gamble .

Thank you everyone for advice and help.

:) :) :)

I mulled over the balcony options and decided to take a gamble and opt for the guarantee balcony $433 and loss of OBC $100 : at best lovely fresh air , at worst lovely fresh air shared with a life boat !

I just called the TA and as my agent was not in I spoke to another colleague and he has managed to upgrade to guarantee balcony with JUST a loss of OBC $100 and no fee to pay !!!!!!!

I am amazed and await my room allocation next week . I am so happy I decided to take a gamble .

Great news!!1 Congrats!!

Oh, that is great news. It sounds like you lucked out getting your agent's colleague who did a great job for you.

Since the cruise is so soon, you likely will get the cabin assignment quickly, but be waware the cruise line can wait all the way until day of sailing to assign the cabin number if they wish. No matter when or where they assign you, you'll have a nicer cabin than you left, including that fresh air. While some gty bookings garner below average cabins, other bookings get average or very nice cabin assignments. good luck!

I'm glad for you. I think that is what should have been done for you in the first place.

IMHO, you will likely get a non-obstructed balcony assigned as there are 11 E1s, 1 E2 and I E3 showing, 7614 which is an extra large accessible, currently available for selection on your sailing. Even if you were assigned that accessible cabin, only the downward view to the waterline would be obstructed and you would have a double size cabin and balcony in a good location.

We've had similar cabin availability situation with our gty bookings and have almost always gotten the higher category of cabin. Only once with this cabin availability showing were we assigned the lowest category that the gty could get us and that was the last cabin available, a similar extra large accessible. It was a great cabin.

Good Luck on your assignment and let us know what you are assigned.;)

Edited by robtulipe

IMHO, you will likely get a non-obstructed balcony assigned as there are 11 E1s, 1 E2 and I E3 showing, 7614 which is an extra large accessible, currently available for selection on your sailing. Even if you were assigned that accessible cabin, only the downward view to the waterline would be obstructed and you would have a double size cabin and balcony in a good location.

We've had similar cabin availability situation with our gty bookings and have almost always gotten the higher category of cabin. Only once with this cabin availability showing were we assigned the lowest category that the gty could get us and that was the last cabin available, a similar extra large accessible. It was a great cabin.

Good Luck on your assignment and let us know what you are assigned.;)

Thank you for that great information ! I also have been having a look to see what is still available ;) and cannot wait to find out ! I keep checking my booking page but no news :)

I'm glad for you. I think that is what should have been done for you in the first place.

Well, I have been thinking about the last conversation I had with the original TA agent. He was strongly advising that I took the assigned balcony upgrade at a cost of $573. He said the gty balcony would almost defiantly be an obstructed view !

Does the agent get any commission for an upgrade ?

Why did the price for a gty balcony change from $433 to nil within 24 hours ?

So glad I made the call and dealt with another agent.

:D

Well, I have been thinking about the last conversation I had with the original TA agent. He was strongly advising that I took the assigned balcony upgrade at a cost of $573. He said the gty balcony would almost defiantly be an obstructed view !

Does the agent get any commission for an upgrade ?

Why did the price for a gty balcony change from $433 to nil within 24 hours ?

So glad I made the call and dealt with another agent.

The more you pay, the more commission the TA makes.

.... Got that slightly wrong,,it's a D2 category .

That's still a great and pretty amazing upgrade considering there's still 10 E balconies available for selection including that last E3, accessible cabin 7614.

Friends of ours just booked a gty to be with us on Serenade's next cruise, the TA after your cruise. Here's hoping their luck is as good as yours as only balconies are available currently and they have a Z inside gty.:D

Just checked my RCI booking and our room has been assigned :

Room 9248 , D , port, aft and .......no obstruction !

WOW !

Thank you again for all help and advice given.

Joanne

That is wonderful. Also wonderful that the weekend agent did their job so well. Have a great time.

That's still a great and pretty amazing upgrade considering there's still 10 E balconies available for selection including that last E3, accessible cabin 7614.

Friends of ours just booked a gty to be with us on Serenade's next cruise, the TA after your cruise. Here's hoping their luck is as good as yours as only balconies are available currently and they have a Z inside gty.:D

Wishing your friends good luck also for an upgrade, and hope you all have a wonderful time together :)