APOLOGIES.....another upgrade question ?!?

Hi

We live in the UK and booked a cruise 8 weeks ago with a popular USA on line travel agent. We paid in full as we sail in 2 weeks.

We chose a category Y ocean view guarantee and we were allocated a room number very quickly.

The price for a balcony room is now advertised at virtually the same price we paid for ocean view.

I have spoken to the on line company twice to see if we could upgrade to a balcony ( we are happy to pay any small difference and do not expect it for free ) but have been told that it is not possible. The reason being is that our original booking was for a 'guarantee ' room.

This is the first time we have booked a guarantee room and I can only assume that as we received a cheaper price in the beginning we lose our entitlement to upgrade ?

We received OBC $100 for this booking .

Any thoughts would be most welcome :) :)

Assuming your booking is bound by US booking rules, I don't see why booking a guarantee would prevent you from upgrading. All I can think of is that the lower price you see is restricted to new bookings, which would prevent you from upgrading for free. However, if you are paying them more money, they usually let you upgrade even if the price is restricted. I would ask the travel agent to speak to Royal's Resolutions department.

Edited by clarea

Thank you so much for speedy reply.

The Travel agent said that he tried all ways to help us to upgrade but the revenue dept declined his request .

But he then added that for a sum of $1864 we could purchase a balcony room ( new booking I guess )

I am pleased with the price I have paid for the guarantee ocean view and do not want to appear to be too awkward with travel agent BUT so wish I could get a balcony :eek:

You made your question very clear, you booked in the UK, NOT the US.

Many who answer will answer with what happens in the US. Not from personal experience (I live in the US) but from I have read here on CC, the EU works differently and to upgrade they would have to cancel the guarantee, this late you would lose all your money. Then you could buy the balcony. Stupid rule and I have not seen an explanation that makes any sense as to why they do it this way, but that is the way it is.

Even if you cancel a year ahead of a cruise you nice folks still pay a penalty whereas we in the US do not.

Many people in the UK will use a friends address in the US to book via US rules to avoid all of these limitations.

Happy cruising!!

Sorry to confuse, I live in the UK and through the valuable information I found on these boards last year I decided to book with a US on line travel agent as I realise here in the UK we are unable to make amendments and upgrade without penalty.

I have been happy with the service so far and the original price I paid was cheaper than the UK was offering so cannot complain about that .

I think I will try to speak to the agent one more time to satisfy my curiosity and Thankyou for all replies :)

Sorry to confuse, I live in the UK and through the valuable information I found on these boards last year I decided to book with a US on line travel agent as I realise here in the UK we are unable to make amendments and upgrade without penalty.

I have been happy with the service so far and the original price I paid was cheaper than the UK was offering so cannot complain about that .

I think I will try to speak to the agent one more time to satisfy my curiosity and Thankyou for all replies :)

Please let us know if they give you a reason why you cannot upgrade.

A guarantee booking should not prevent you from requesting an upgrade, although they may say 'new bookings only'. Even so, if you are paying more money, they may upgrade you anyway.

I got the same answer when I tried to upgrade from inside to E2 on a recent sailing and I talked to a few different people before someone ok'd it (and it was a few hundred more). I agree that it's harder to do when you have a TA because you have to depend on them to make your case. I'd keep trying though.

You also might try calling RCI to ask them if your agent is interpreting the rules correctly. They don't like to make changes to reservations when you have a TA, but you might find someone who can give you some advice or at the least confirm that the TA is correct. Sadly, sometimes TA's claim they are doing this and that for you, when in actuality they are not. Most are honest, hard-working people like anyone else, but also like anyone else there can be a few bad apples in the bunch. Doesn't hurt to ask.

Edited by phoenix_dream

You also might try calling RCI to ask them if your agent is interpreting the rules correctly. They don't like to make changes to reservations when you have a TA, but you might find someone who can give you some advice or at the least confirm that the TA is correct. Sadly, sometimes TA's claim they are doing this and that for you, when in actuality they are not. Most are honest, hard-working people like anyone else, but also like anyone else there can be a few bad apples in the bunch. Doesn't hurt to ask.

Thankyou and I did speak to RCI myself and they were also unsure as to why I had been declined BUT they said I had to refer back to TA which I did and TA re iterated ( after another phone call to RCI) the same response.

However, I now feel a little fired up so I am going to phone TA ( usually correspond via email ) and I will post my findings :) :)

Ok, so I have just spoken to TA direct and I will make sure that I do this in future instead of hiding behind an email.

Currently have an Oceanview at a cost of $716 each

Today the US website is advertising Oceanview for $649 and Balcony $700

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We can upgrade to an E1 with room allocated immediately for a cost of $573

OR :::::

We can chose a guarantee balcony for a cost of $433 but TA strongly believes we will be given an obstructed view.

Both scenarios we would lose $100 OBC.

Driving home now with these options to consider.

MANY THANKS for all help and advice .

Joanne :D

Ok, so I have just spoken to TA direct and I will make sure that I do this in future instead of hiding behind an email.

Currently have an Oceanview at a cost of $716 each

Today the US website is advertising Oceanview for $649 and Balcony $700

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We can upgrade to an E1 with room allocated immediately for a cost of $573

OR :::::

We can chose a guarantee balcony for a cost of $433 but TA strongly believes we will be given an obstructed view.

Both scenarios we would lose $100 OBC.

Driving home now with these options to consider.

MANY THANKS for all help and advice .

Joanne :D

So those website prices may be for "new bookings only" and the balcony price is lower than you paid. So, the company is not honoring that balcony $700 price for your upgrdae. Bummer, but that does seem to be the way the ball bounces for US bookings.

Would you be happy enough in your OV? Are you a bit of a gambler? if yes to both, I might be inclined to wait to see if the price of that balcony gty price rise above the $716 you paid (or if an assigned balcony price drops down closer to, but still above, your $716)...then I'd call and grab the new price.

If you really want the balcony and/or do not wish to risk it, then go ahead and pay for the upgrade now. The agent cannot know which cabin you'll be assigned if you select gty...you might get an obstructed one, you might not.

Just an FYI: if you are given an obstructed view and any other Cabin in the exact same category (such as E1) is available you can switch.

I thought of this too, but, TA said that Category X balcony is very likely to be obstructed and I would only be able to trade like for like, therefore get another obstructed . To get out of an obstructed room would require upgrade to another balcony category WITH upgrade fee .

He , therefore , advised me against this.

I thought of this too, but, TA said that Category X balcony is very likely to be obstructed and I would only be able to trade like for like, therefore get another obstructed . To get out of an obstructed room would require upgrade to another balcony category WITH upgrade fee .

I believe the E3's are only partially obstructed. IMO they are much better than an outside room and I would book them. Maybe some other folks that have stayed in these rooms will chime in.

So those website prices may be for "new bookings only" and the balcony price is lower than you paid. So, the company is not honoring that balcony $700 price for your upgrdae. Bummer, but that does seem to be the way the ball bounces for US bookings.

Would you be happy enough in your OV? Are you a bit of a gambler? if yes to both, I might be inclined to wait to see if the price of that balcony gty price rise above the $716 you paid (or if an assigned balcony price drops down closer to, but still above, your $716)...then I'd call and grab the new price.

If you really want the balcony and/or do not wish to risk it, then go ahead and pay for the upgrade now. The agent cannot know which cabin you'll be assigned if you select gty...you might get an obstructed one, you might not.

Yes ! I thought that, new bookings only.

Re the good advice on awaiting a price decrease on an assigned balcony , the on line TA that I use ( rhymes with jubilation ) only shows me prices for the lowest grade balcony ie guarantee so I am not sure how I could monitor that :( .

But yes, I am happy enough with OV and a bit of a gambler :)

Ps it would be good to know of other reputable US travel agents I could use but I think I would be thrown overboard by our hosts ;)

Perhaps someone can educate me or point me in the right direction, or if it's a TA vs. RCL booking thing: My assumption when you book a guarantee is that you basically won't find out your cabin number, location, or even exact type until checking in at the ship? An Oceanview Guarantee = you will not get an inside cabin, there WILL be a window. Beyond that anything is possible. A Suite Guarantee = at worst you travel in a JS.

The logic for RCL seems to make perfect sense to me. If they sell out of JS's but there are GS's available, the Suite Guarantee traveler could get bumped up. If there are plenty of JS's available they get that. This traveler fills the cabin RCL needs filled. At the same time, the person with the guarantee is doing a risk vs. reward proposition. Sure the Oceanview Guarantee traveler might end up with a balcony... or they might get a window down on Deck 3. You pay the reduced price and take your chances.

Am I at all correct here?

Remember, you care more deeply about your cabin than any travel agent. So, consider taking some time to research the balconies on this ship, especially the obstructed ones. Seach this forum and look at pics. If you can be reasonably happy in any balcony on the ship, then it is safe to book a balcony gty.

I am not an expert on your ship. I suspect your travel agent is even less so than I:eek:. Some ships (like Celebrity s class) have obstructed balcony cabins all in specific balcony categories, so if one swaps within that category, one still gets an obstruction, though maybe less obstructed or better located. On other lines and ships, the few obstructed balconies are mixed into categories with unobstructed ones, so if one switched cabins with a category, one might get a substantially nicer cabin without obstruction or a trivial obstruction...I think that is how it works on your ship. but again I am not an expert on your ship, so research it yourself.

If I am correct, be careful taking cabin advice from that agent. If I'm wrong, please come back and tell me so I can learn with you.

Yes ! I thought that, new bookings only.

Re the good advice on awaiting a price decrease on an assigned balcony , the on line TA that I use ( rhymes with jubilation ) only shows me prices for the lowest grade balcony ie guarantee so I am not sure how I could monitor that :( .

But yes, I am happy enough with OV and a bit of a gambler :)

Ps it would be good to know of other reputable US travel agents I could use but I think I would be thrown overboard by our hosts ;)

The top line price on your travel agent's site might not give you enough detail; you might try to follow prices on one that gives more detailed info. Not sure which sites work best from UK.

Can you get to the US version of royal caribbean's website? I often use that for price checks. Not sure the UK site will help as yours is with a US agency.

Sometimes I check prices on the advanced search function of major US travel website (typically the one that advertises with gnomes....not that I book with them, but I sometimes use their search function for dates and prices).

Some people use a site that monitors prices for them for a small fee. I have seen people net some nice prices that way. Not allowed to name it, but maybe you'll find it with a web search.

Perhaps someone can educate me or point me in the right direction, or if it's a TA vs. RCL booking thing: My assumption when you book a guarantee is that you basically won't find out your cabin number, location, or even exact type until checking in at the ship? An Oceanview Guarantee = you will not get an inside cabin, there WILL be a window. Beyond that anything is possible. A Suite Guarantee = at worst you travel in a JS.

The logic for RCL seems to make perfect sense to me. If they sell out of JS's but there are GS's available, the Suite Guarantee traveler could get bumped up. If there are plenty of JS's available they get that. This traveler fills the cabin RCL needs filled. At the same time, the person with the guarantee is doing a risk vs. reward proposition. Sure the Oceanview Guarantee traveler might end up with a balcony... or they might get a window down on Deck 3. You pay the reduced price and take your chances.

This upcoming cruise will be just my third one , so my knowledge and experience plus location is very limited.

However, For this upcoming cruise I did book an Oceanview guarantee as that was within my budget and that was all I expected to receive. I was allocated a room number by RCI 3 days after booking which really exceeded my expectations. As the allocated room was at the very front of the ship, the on line TA allowed me to move a few doors down . I am on deck 3 . I did not expect any more that this.

However , the recent price drops have made me consider if I could afford a balcony .

The top line price on your travel agent's site might not give you enough detail; you might try to follow prices on one that gives more detailed info. Not sure which sites work best from UK.

Can you get to the US version of royal caribbean's website? I often use that for price checks. Not sure the UK site will help as yours is with a US agency.

Sometimes I check prices on the advanced search function of major US travel website (typically the one that advertises with gnomes....not that I book with them, but I sometimes use their search function for dates and prices).

Some people use a site that monitors prices for them for a small fee. I have seen people net some nice prices that way. Not allowed to name it, but maybe you'll find it with a web search.

Yes, I could do with being able to access the US version of RC website !

In the meantime , I think I know the small fee paying site you refer to .

I will carry on with my research and hopefully make a decision , many thanks :)

You almost have it. One difference from what you have above is that your cabin can be assigned as soon as booked, or anytime from then until you board the ship.

Also, just because all JSs are currently booked, does mean you will be bumped up to a GS. They may move someone from the JS up and give you that cabin.

With a guarantee you are taking your chances. I have done it once (would have done it more often but we usually have more than 1 cabin and want to stay together). We booked a suite guarantee and got a JS assigned within a few days. I was happy with it, but found a better one. A quick phone call and I was moved to the better (IMO) cabin which remained for our sailing.

To the OP, keep trying with your TA. Something doesn't sound quite right. If you can't get it changed, it sounds like you are fine where you are and will go without hard feelings which is the way to do it. Whichever you end up with enjoy your cruise.