2 possible EBOLA patients on MAGIC

dramaqueenjan

I don't think Carnival is offering 50% off a future cruise and a refund because of one missed port. I do believe they are offering that because SOMEONE ON BOARD MIGHT HAVE EBOLA and they are freaking the *$^% out!!! This isn't a matter of a missed port!!!! Can you imagine being a passenger? Whatever refund is being offered isn't on their minds right now. In 21 days, yes, but right now, not so much!

I spoke with Carnival. The health care worker is quarantined in the ships infirmary. I had the same concern regarding her cabin as others have expressed, as I am booked to sail on Magic this Sunday. Carnival told me the CDC has restricted her cabin for sale on the next cruise. Workers are supposedly disinfecting it.

Magic may or may not be able to sail based upon the response of the countries she is scheduled to visit. My wife's first reaction on hearing about this was "there is no way in h**l we are getting on that boat". Public reaction may cause her to stay in port. It will be interesting to see.

There is nothing to disinfect, but they are going to do it anyway.

ht_cleaning_crew_iphone_jc_141017_16x9_992.jpg

Well just to pop in between all the bitterness on this. It looks to me like the person had no idea they should have not gone on a cruise. It looks like the hospital botched the whole thing and put no restrictions on the people who possibly came into contact. Once the people from the hospital came down with it then they said wooooo maybe we should do something and they did. Unfortunately this person was already out to sea. Seems like once they caught word or someone recognized the situation the person was very cooperative to go into confinement. I am failing to in anyway see what the person did wrong. The ports probably made a good call not allowing the people to come ashore (keep in mind they lost millions to there economy by not letting the ship dock). Also seems as if Carnival did the right thing. My main concern is them letting the passengers off the ship until they are 100% sure there is nothing to be concerned with. Nothing would be worse than if 3,000 passengers which have the smallest of % to be infected got off and went home through out the US. That would be devastating. I hope they take every precaution before letting all these people off. Yes I know it would suck for them to be sitting on the ship a couple of miles off the coast for a few days but well worth it should there be the slights of any chance. That would be a huge mistake. I think the blame has to go back to the hospital who originally botched the whole thing. Just my 2 cents and not going to argue with those on here who seem bitter. Overall seems like the situation has been dealt with well once it was discovered.

Again my guess is they hold all the pax until the lab workers blood comes back negative

It will come back negative. Positive thinking!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

This whole hoo ha on the Magic is way over the top at this point! The person on board has NO symptoms. You cannot transmit the disease withOUT symptoms.

There is nothing contaminated yet since she has NO symptoms. The cruise line is being very generous!

The hospital in Dallas was negligent in many ways!

Hopefully every other hospital has learned from their mistakes!

There is nothing to disinfect, but they are going to do it anyway.

ht_cleaning_crew_iphone_jc_141017_16x9_992.jpg

Well at least they all appear to be in hazmat gear and it looks like they are taking this seriously.

As I have been saying all along .... We need to get a negative blood test to be sure.

Again my guess is they hold all the pax until the lab workers blood comes back negative

It will come back negative. Positive thinking!!!

They aren't going to hold the passengers. The 800 passengers that were on the airplanes aren't being held.

Miss port and be terrified about there is a slight chance you could have Ebola for 50% off a cruise.... nah I would pick going to going to the port.

Hopefully the passengers are educated enough to know that since the passenger who is self isolated is still not exhibiting ANY symptoms, there is NO chance they could have Ebola. Considering when she went into isolation she had no fever, and no symptoms, there is literally NO CHANCE they could have Ebola... so, there's that.

Hopefully the passengers are educated enough to know that since the passenger who is self isolated is still not exhibiting ANY symptoms, there is NO chance they could have Ebola. Considering when she went into isolation she had no fever, and no symptoms, there is literally NO CHANCE they could have Ebola... so, there's that.

Something to think about:

So how could all the people who spent days in close quarters with a man sickened with Ebola manage to evade illness?

One possible explanation that has rarely been discussed is that people could be infected with Ebola without ever showing symptoms. The phenomenon is called "asymptomatic infection," and it is an unusual but potentially very real feature of the Ebola virus in humans.

"Asymptomatic cases are likely to have a little bit of virus for a little bit of time then fight it off," said Steve Bellan, a post-doctoral researcher at the University of Texas at Austin.

Asymptomatic individuals aren't contagious, as Ebola is only transmitted through direct contact with bodily fluids of an infected and symptomatic person. Studies conducted in previous outbreaks have found that between 20 and 60 percent of people in a population can exhibit signs of asymptomatic infection, Bellan said.

Just coming in on this thread, and did not take the time to fully read all posts but I have one question about this whole situation.

If she was approved to sail, why did she tell people on Carnival that she was a nurse working in the area of the Ebola patient and she herself at this time had no symptoms, but, the incubation period is upto 21 days.

And was quarantined....on a ship, on vacation.

Just wondering

Thanks for letting me rant.

Sea Ya

Something to think about:

So how could all the people who spent days in close quarters with a man sickened with Ebola manage to evade illness?

One possible explanation that has rarely been discussed is that people could be infected with Ebola without ever showing symptoms. The phenomenon is called "asymptomatic infection," and it is an unusual but potentially very real feature of the Ebola virus in humans.

"Asymptomatic cases are likely to have a little bit of virus for a little bit of time then fight it off," said Steve Bellan, a post-doctoral researcher at the University of Texas at Austin.

Asymptomatic individuals aren't contagious, as Ebola is only transmitted through direct contact with bodily fluids of an infected and symptomatic person. Studies conducted in previous outbreaks have found that between 20 and 60 percent of people in a population can exhibit signs of asymptomatic infection, Bellan said.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/to-your-health/wp/2014/10/16/ebola-infections-with-no-symptoms-are-possible-and-they-could-help-end-the-west-africa-epidemic/

This is true only if we are absolutely positive that she still is symptom free

to those of you who are choosing to be positive and to understand that someone working in a lab where infectious diseases are regularly protected thus leaving an almost slim to nothing chance of infection or we would have hospital workers in the US dieing all the time from all sorts of illnesses I thank you!

for those of you choosing to be paranoid I have already lived through all the hate and paranoia of the initial aids scare 30 years ago and am not enjoying this flashback. I hope any ebola patients get treated better and with more respect than anyone back in the beginning of aids...

I believe with all my heart that with this persons position she never thought she could have contacted it , hence the reason she took the cruise..so let's not crucify her..

I am sure carnival will do everything they can to do the right thing and that will make some of the people happy and others not so in the end i hope they will do what is right for in regards to the current facts which is we have a ship that at this point has NO ebola victims on it but is being de contaminated anyway. Thank you Carnival for being pro=active regardless of opinion! ok i feel better now:cool:

Carnival isn't currently offering any help to passengers who don't feel comfortable boarding. We leave 11/9 and I called today to see if we could move our balance to a future booking and was told I loose 75% because it's so close to the cruise date. Looks like they would make a special provisions. Guess we will see in the days to come. I should say in all fairness that had I booked "cancel for any reason ins" I would not be at such a loss. Any one else having better luck?

This is direct from Galveston Island.

The ship will return as scheduled and the cabin will be out of service.

Cozumel turned them away but Belize welcomed them. The lab supervisor and her SO obviously did not get off.

Passengers are getting $200. off this sailing and 50% off another sailing.

I have no doubt there will be some passengers who will complain loudly that they should get a full refund.

Edited by SPacificbound