2 possible EBOLA patients on MAGIC

dramaqueenjan

Blood sample has been picked up from the Magic

NBC confirms that a helicopter did go to the ship today and get a blood sample of the lab tech.

One thing about the picture in your post. It shows an potentially unsafe situation with all the people on the deck when the helicopter was there. On cruise ships I have been on, passengers were forced to leave the open deck in case of an accident.

Edited by caribill

I was the one who posted the 42-day incubation period on the other Ebola thread along with the link to the study. However, you can go to the link below and get the same info along with links. It actually came out of a WHO recent study.

http://freedomoutpost.com/2014/10/new-report-clearly-shows-42-day-incubation-period-ebola-21/

The quote is, " "However, we do not declare a country free of Ebola until 42 days have passed with no new cases."

This does not mean individuals will take longer than 21 days to be symptomatic. This is the base used for an entire region--particularly in a third world country, where people might be sick but not known to authorities for some time.

The quote is, " "However, we do not declare a country free of Ebola until 42 days have passed with no new cases."

This does not mean individuals will take longer than 21 days to be symptomatic. This is the base used for an entire region--particularly in a third world country, where people might be sick but not known to authorities for some time.

Read further in the article, a small percentage takes up to 42 days to develop symptoms.

Blood sample has been picked up from the Magic

I'm so glad you all thought I was ridiculous about the ship drawing the blood and it being picked up by helicopter. By now it's in Austin and they will have an answer in under five hours.

In a perfect world, a lab worker that "may" have handled ebola fluids (like how would you not know???) would not go on a cruise until the incubation period was over. We do not live in that world. Carnival probably (I have no insider info) offered her the Captain's suite to keep her apart from others. (Note: I do not advise this as a cruise tactic). My dh has stated Carnival will probably clean up better than the CDC (Well gee, that won't take much!) Why does the CDC notify Carnival after they are out to sea??? Many mistakes were made.......none by Carnival that I see,........ yet. It will be interesting to see what the shipmates thought once they arrive in port.:eek:

Read further in the article, a small percentage takes up to 42 days to develop symptoms.

So we shut down an entire country? Nope. The risk of doing so far outweighs the risk of someone who has a miniscule chance of being exposed to begin with exposing others to Ebola.

Edited by ducklite

In a perfect world, a lab worker that "may" have handled ebola fluids (like how would you not know???) would not go on a cruise until the incubation period was over. We do not live in that world. Carnival probably (I have no insider info) offered her the Captain's suite to keep her apart from others. (Note: I do not advise this as a cruise tactic). My dh has stated Carnival will probably clean up better than the CDC (Well gee, that won't take much!) Why does the CDC notify Carnival after they are out to sea??? Many mistakes were made.......none by Carnival that I see,........ yet. It will be interesting to see what the shipmates thought once they arrive in port.:eek:

It's been reported by Carnival sources that she was voluntarily quarantined in the ships infirmary.

LOL. guess it's time to watch the news shows ,who arent spending near as much time on it as the hysteria on here would indicate and see when they get these blood results that im sure the doctor probably drew with 2 pairs of gloves on and straight into a sealed vile..remember no body fluid contact no ebola..

hopefully good news will come out tonight:cool:.

I wonder how certain people on this thread could explain how none of Thomas Duncan's family, who shared an apartment with him for several days while he was infectious, became infected themselves? I mean, if it's so easy to transmit that an entire cruise ship could become infected from a lab tech who wasn't showing any symptoms, shouldn't all of Thomas Duncan's family be dead by now?

:rolleyes:

Edited by Cruzin-K

I wonder how certain people on this thread could explain how none of Thomas Duncan's family, who shared an apartment with him for several days while he was infectious, became infected themselves? I mean, if it's so easy to transmit that an entire cruise ship could become infected from a lab tech who wasn't showing any symptoms, shouldn't all of Thomas Duncan's family be dead by now?

There is some speculation that some people might have a natural immunity to Ebola. There is also speculation that none of them cleaned up or had contact with any of his bodily fluids. There's really no way to know why none of them got sick.

I don't believe that the lab tech on the Magic even has the disease, and even if she did, I think her partner, cabin steward, and the medical team are the only people truly at risk.

That said, if she does turn out to have the disease, the CDC better have a plan on how to monitor 4000 people who could be from anywhere in the world on the slight chance that she infected them.

Oy! After putting up my post from Patrick Smith's article and, no, he is not a doctor, and now reading what I am here, about the only question I can ask is: Who is cancelling a cruise or not going on an airplane because of Ebola?

Nigeria took care of Ebola. Do your research. The USA? Your guess is as good as mine, but I would not loose any sleep over it!

Oy! After putting up my post from Patrick Smith's article and, no, he is not a doctor, and now reading what I am here, about the only question I can ask is: Who is cancelling a cruise or not going on an airplane because of Ebola?

Nigeria took care of Ebola. Do your research. The USA? Your guess is as good as mine, but I would not loose any sleep over it!

I'm getting on a plane October 31, cruise Jan 22. I'd go sooner if I had a good reliable sitter. :D

It's been reported by Carnival sources that she was voluntarily quarantined in the ships infirmary.

I sort of doubt that reporting. It is my guess that hopefully she called the ship's medical center and they came to HER cabin and she is in quarantine there. Keeping her in the infirmary is like closing down the only hospital on the ship. People are almost always quarantined in their own cabin OR in the brink.

We'll get the details tomorrow. I still want to know why they didn't make a big fuss over Amber Vinson's mother's flight to Dallas?

Edited by ConnieG

Probably. But uninformed hysteria doesn't want to believe that ebola isn't spread just by looking at someone.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/10/17/politics/ebola-travel-ban-unprecedented/index.html?hpt=hp_c2

I think if I were to start mass hysteria and paranoia it would be about Hep C, tuberculosis, HIV, influenza, and pneumonia. All spread by direct contact, can have longer incubation periods, and together they kill MILLIONS each and every year. I don't think airlines or cruise ships scan for any of them.

I fly October 30 and board the Dream on November 2nd.

Edited by Bookbug53

Because it can take 42 days.......simple

There was a girl in Liberia who took care of 4 family members infected with Ebola. She had access to a bottle of bleach, garbage bags and surgical gloves. She was not infected. 3 of the 4 survived. If a cruise ship doesn't have those supplies available, that's a pretty gross ship.

I saw that interview. Through all this thread, I've thought about that girl and her simplistic and creative ways she did that.

Appears that everything is shaping up for an on time return and turn around tomorrow. We are on the trip out and just rec'd the following.

October 18, 2014

Hi there,

We wanted to provide you with some important information regarding your cruise aboard the Carnival Magic tomorrow.

As you may know, this week we were made aware by the U.S. CDC of a guest, sailing on the Carnival Magic's current voyage, who works at Texas Health Presbyterian Hospital where a patient was treated for Ebola. The CDC informed us that at no point in time was this individual in any direct contact with any infected patients and has never exhibited any symptoms. Rest assured, everyone on the current cruise is safe and there is no risk to any guests or crew.

Based on our current discussions with the CDC, the Carnival Magic will be arriving tomorrow in Galveston and will commence debarking guests as scheduled. Additionally, we have been in close contact with the CDC and other health authorities, and although they are not requiring any additional cleaning at this time, once all guests disembark, the vessel will be thoroughly sanitized.

Check-in for your cruise remains as scheduled from 1:00 PM to 3:00 PM. You'll notice we have implemented a standard, industry wide health screening questionnaire that will be given to you when you arrive. This will just take a few moments of your time and is not expected to delay your check in. Our departure time remains the same at 4:00 PM so please keep in mind that you may not be able to embark if you arrive later than 30 minutes prior to sail time.

Thank you for your understanding. Most importantly, we can't wait to welcome you aboard for a fun and memorable cruise vacation.

See you soon!

Sincerely,

Vicky Rey, CTC

Vice President - Guest Services

There was a girl in Liberia who took care of 4 family members infected with Ebola. She had access to a bottle of bleach, garbage bags and surgical gloves. She was not infected. 3 of the 4 survived. If a cruise ship doesn't have those supplies available, that's a pretty gross ship.

I'm not surprised. You can't catch Ebola just by sitting next to someone with it. While much of the rest of the world pretends they don't exist, they have to learn to make do, and that one mistake can be fatal, while others sit on the sidelines.

OTOH, those who survived likely now have some immunity.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/10/17/politics/ebola-travel-ban-unprecedented/index.html?hpt=hp_c2

I think if I were to start mass hysteria and paranoia it would be about Hep C, tuberculosis, HIV, influenza, and pneumonia. All spread by direct contact, can have longer incubation periods, and together they kill MILLIONS each and every year. I don't think airlines or cruise ships scan for any of them.

I fly October 30 and board the Dream on November 2nd.

I think that's an immensely sensible attitude; last December I was on a cruise including The Gambia and Senegal, and my passport shows my admission stamps there. Since then I've cruised from San Diego without any more than the usual hassle.

Senegal has had one case of Ebola in the current outbreak; if they want to ban people who have been in West Africa then presumably they should ban me, even though it was 10 months ago, and I am perfectly fit, given the current claims about possible incubation periods far in excess of 21 days.

This is, in my view, downright silly!

I agree completely.

I'm just hoping all the fear mongers don't do something to screw up my future cruises.

One thing I do know, any cruise of mine that stops in Mexico in the near future will find me enjoying a nice nearly empty ship as the rest of the passengers go ashore and I stay on board. Mexico isn't getting a dime of my money anytime soon, just for being stupid.

Unbelievable. Just unbelievable. The Mexican people did not refuse entry into their country, their government did. Having lived in Mexico for eight years I am not surprised that they felt unprepared to handle any possible contamination. Have you been in a Mexican hospital lately? Do you understand that Cozumel is an island that is heavily populated by cruisers at any given point in time and that the vast majority of income opportunities on this island is from tourists. Any idea what a possible contamination could do to their economy? I lived there during the swine flu hysteria. There were NO visitors in the towns or on the beaches. Cozumel and the Riviera Maya depend on tourist dollars. I do not blame the Mexican government one bit for denying entry.