Times are getting hard

Silver Spectre

Hot off the press this morning Silversea have started discounting to a major US discount TA again.

"Silversea is offering customers rates that have been slashed by as much as $2,500 per person on select voyages from now through April 2015. This offer is exclusively for customers in North America, Central America and South America. Silversea's fares include onboard gratuities, complimentary beverages (including wine and spirits) and butler service. Book by October 31."

I can only assume that the Ebola scare is already having a major impact on travel booking in the US (and maybe elsewhere).

Silver - Thanks for the heads up. I did not see this on the SS website. Is it possible that this may be an offer from one TA and not SS? We have an upcoming cruse next month and would expect the "Silver Privilege" fare to "kick in".

Thanks again.

Why only American customers ?There are so many no go areas in the world today the cruise business is bound to suffer.In addition to Ebola in Africa who would want to commit to a 2015/2016 booking incorporating the Black Sea ports,Turkey, anywhere in the Middle East,Russia,India,Korea,Hong Kong,China or any other potential flash points? We are due to visit St Petersburg on a 2016 Northern European cruise but still plenty of time to reconsider but hope it won't be necessary.On our Amazon cruise October/December a year ago the Lady lecturer went ashore in Belem and was attacked in knife attack with robbery of a bag as the motive.She thankfully recovered after many stitches to facial wounds.It is sad when so many wonderful destinations around the world are off limits now.

Silver - Thanks for the heads up. I did not see this on the SS website. Is it possible that this may be an offer from one TA and not SS? We have an upcoming cruse next month and would expect the "Silver Privilege" fare to "kick in".

Thanks again.

Sorry to confuse you, its not a Silversea offer, its on the US discount Travel Agent site.

Sorry to confuse you, its not a Silversea offer, its on the US discount Travel Agent site.

Wow, you really like to "stir up the dust!" :)

I have found that most of those discount travel agent sites include language like that as an enticement and at the end of the day the actual fare paid is no less than the Silversea rate. But the agent may offer a special "amenity" in the form of OBC, a private tour/driver, etc.

If you book early, that is often the best rate, even when Silversea itself offers an OBC, etc. This has happened to us several times, and after doing the analysis the new rate is no lower--and often still higher--than the rate we paid.

Why only American customers ?There are so many no go areas in the world today the cruise business is bound to suffer.In addition to Ebola in Africa who would want to commit to a 2015/2016 booking incorporating the Black Sea ports,Turkey, anywhere in the Middle East,Russia,India,Korea,Hong Kong,China or any other potential flash points? We are due to visit St Petersburg on a 2016 Northern European cruise but still plenty of time to reconsider but hope it won't be necessary.On our Amazon cruise October/December a year ago the Lady lecturer went ashore in Belem and was attacked in knife attack with robbery of a bag as the motive.She thankfully recovered after many stitches to facial wounds.It is sad when so many wonderful destinations around the world are off limits now.

And of course Wakefield is totally no-go.

Seriously, though, very few countries in the world are off-limits to almost all tourism - I might have said Iraq but a friend has just come back from a few days in Baghdad. Anyway, Iraq, Somalia, Syria, Libya and parts of Afghanistan are best avoided right now. Surely no problems with Russia, India, Korea (both parts) or China and Hong Kong is merely inconvenient right now. Black Sea cruises are visiting Odessa without any problems, though the Crimea has been off the itineraries for some months now.

Some cities always have a reputation for crime (Port Moresby, Kinshasa for instance). So far ebola is effecting only a tiny section of Africa and a tiny percentage of the population of the countries affected, about 10,000 cases from a population of 25 million.

Let's get realistic about this. And cruise lines will never take anyone where there is the slightest risk to safety.

Edited by Fletcher

A bit off topic but I understand that bookings to South Africa and parts of East Africa are down, yet these places are as far from the ebola-affected area as London is. Has everyone cancelled their trips to Texas yet? Never underestimate the power of illogic.

Anyone remember the hysteria during SARS? Crystal brought back the Serenity empty from Asia. They were giving cruises away - we boarded in Los Angeles for a Mexican Riviera cruise and survived......

CORRECTION! It was Crystal HARMONY, not Serenity. If it matters to anyone.

I find what you posted not to be true. I have examined reports of attacks to ships personnel and find nothing to confirm what you have reported. Please report facts to let us know.

I'm sorry have I misunderstood something or missed something. Silversea has always had gratuities included as well as wine etc and all categories have always had butler service. Maybe you just meant the $2500 discount based on double occupancy?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I find what you posted not to be true. I have examined reports of attacks to ships personnel and find nothing to confirm what you have reported. Please report facts to let us know.

What I posted was true.Sorry you have been unable to verify my post keep trying!

Could you let us know your source for these reports so that we can get the facts?

Excellent! You were able to put into a sentence what I wanted to write.

I've been on a total of two cruises that visited ports in Brazil. Both had passengers as victims of theft by knife with the blood to prove it.