onboard internet cafe.

buchananglasgow

1/ can anyone tell me what the fee is to use the internet cafe onboard the royal. is it the same price as if you bought wifi access.

2/ has anyone used a mobile mifi devise and did it work at sea, who was the internet provider usa/uk ?

trying to work out if our uk one will work on the ship or just use a free bar/tavern wifi when we get ashore in port. :confused:

I believe they were considering using their phone or a similar device as a cellular data router which their wifi devices would connect to for internet access. As far as I know, that course of action will be quite expensive as most data carriers do not have a partnership with the ship's cell service so any data plan that may be in effect for the mobile hotspot will not help on the ship.

yes, a MIFI, is a portable mobile device to deliver WIFI where there is no internet connection. it will work by satilite signal. it will not use the ships wifi but by satilite. its not as expensive as mobile phone internet and our one is pay as you go so we only pay for what is used. i want to know if anyone had used one in the ocean, was there a signal of any kind.

Who is your mifi provider? Do they have any maps showing the satellite coverages? The thing that could be an issue is that the ship cabins are in essence metal boxes which will restrict satellite transmissions. You would need to put your mifi outside if you had a balcony, so if you had only an inside or a OV room that could be problematic unless you went up on open deck.

it is t-mobile, a big phone network here in uk. you have to register the device to use abroad and then ask what the charges will be per day. it was just to use on port days on the deck or on the balcony when in port. otherwise it will be a trip to a bar or restaurant with free wifi in port. it was just an idea as it will be coming with us anyway as its what we use while sitting in the departure lounge in airports or if we are staying in hotels on weekends away.