Need help planning Eastern Mediterranean cruise

beginnercruizer

Hello Cruisers,

I am brand new to Cruise Critic and I'm very excited to dig in to all the different aspects of the Website.

I am trying to plan a 7- 10 day cruise for my family of 4 (Husband, son 25 and daughter 23) to the Eastern Mediterranean (we want to go to Croatia and surroundings). We would go either in May 2015 or September - October 2015.

Where do I begin? Are River Cruises "too old" for my twenty something kids? We are very into good food and exercise and lying around doing nothing. I would probably plan to spend an extra day at the beginning and end of the cruise to explore whatever town I start/end in.

I have to say upfront, I've only cruised once (Caribbean) and didn't love cruising for the sake of cruising. I felt nickel and dimed the whole trip. But I love the idea of using a cruise ship as a floating hotel to visit lots of exciting cities and relax in between ports.

Any tips you cruising experts can give me would be very appreciated.

Take care

beginnercruizer

You won't find a river cruise going to coastal Croatia.

We cruised to Croatia on Windstar's Wind Surf, and I HIGHLY recommend them.

Your children would be on the young side, but it's not unheard of for people in their 30's to cruise Windstar, and they would be welcomed by your fellow passengers.

The Windstar ships are smaller and can get into ports that the large ships can't.

The food ranged for good to excellent. Many of the ports didn't need a shore excursion, you could get off and explore on your own. They have a good size fitness center for a small ship with great ocean views, and there is an on board fitness instructor.

You'll have one sea day on a week long Eastern Med cruise, and there will be plenty of enrichment activities if you are interested, or you can do nothing if you'd rather. Also they have a water sports deck which they open in certain ports and you can borrow sea kayaks and such.

We never felt nickel and dimed, it was an engaging, enriching, exciting, exhausting trip that was the best vacation ever. :)

Oh, did I mention the sails? At some point if the winds cooperate you'll be under sail power--amazing!

Thank you, I was just on the Viking River Cruise website and I noticed exactly what you said! They don't have river cruises going to Croatia. I will look into Windstar to see what they offer. I really do appreciate your input. I've just begun my research so if you don't mind when I figure out more questions I may write you back.

Thanks again

Beginnercruizer

PS What is the better time to go to that area? May or Fall?

Edited by beginnercruizer

Lots of ships cruise along the Croatian cost, they usually start or end in Venice. A smaller ship is better for this coastline, but smaller ships are often more luxurious and therefore expensive. Of course, there are really small ships that hit many of the beautiful ports on this coast. Google small ship cruises Dalmatian coast. You would definitely want to see Kotor and Dubrovnik and spend some time in Venice.

My favorite cruise line is Oceania (food, beds, no formal evenings), 700and 1250 passengers, but I would probably choose a much smaller ship for this coast.

Edited by Floridiana

If budget is not too much of a consideration, then the more upscale cruise lines like Oceania or Seabourn would be a great option since they do utilize smaller, thus more "attentive" and personal service for guests than the major lines offer. But, we did an eastern using a combination of trains and Norwegian Cruise Line and had a wonderful experience. We flew to Rome, took the train to Venice, cruised round-trip from Venice to Croatia and Greece (Greek Isles), then took the train from Venice to Florence and Pisa and back to Rome. We stayed one night in each city and had ample time to see the major sights. We would do this same thing every year if we could!

My suggestion would be to get either a Rick Steves or Frommers or Fodor's European book and decide what you want to do/see. Then look to see if a cruise or a land based trip is best suited to your desired itinerary. It will be a totally amazing trip and very enlightening to see antiquity in it's purest forms!

Hello Cruisers,

I am brand new to Cruise Critic and I'm very excited to dig in to all the different aspects of the Website.

I am trying to plan a 7- 10 day cruise for my family of 4 (Husband, son 25 and daughter 23) to the Eastern Mediterranean (we want to go to Croatia and surroundings). We would go either in May 2015 or September - October 2015.

Where do I begin? Are River Cruises "too old" for my twenty something kids? We are very into good food and exercise and lying around doing nothing. I would probably plan to spend an extra day at the beginning and end of the cruise to explore whatever town I start/end in.

I have to say upfront, I've only cruised once (Caribbean) and didn't love cruising for the sake of cruising. I felt nickel and dimed the whole trip. But I love the idea of using a cruise ship as a floating hotel to visit lots of exciting cities and relax in between ports.

Take care

beginnercruizer

I book cruises based on itinerary and it sounds like that is what you want also.

If it were me, I would look at Royal Caribbean, Celebrity and Princess.

Go to http://www.cruisetimetables.com and from the second list of ports (destinations), choose ports you would like to visit. Then choose the time you want to visit. It will tell you who calls there, and their itineraries. Agree you should get a copy of Rick Steves' Mediterranean Cruise Ports and see what there is to do in the time you have in those ports. He does not cover some of the Adriatic ports in this book, but does recommend Lonely Planet to fill in the gaps. EM

For a relaxed, laid back, no nickel and diming plus very good service for a value for money price; have a look at Celebrity Cruises. The Solstice class ships are wonderful.

And WAY too big for a Dalmation coast cruise.

I book cruises based on itinerary and it sounds like that is what you want also.

If it were me, I would look at Royal Caribbean, Celebrity and Princess.

NONONONONONO! You don't want to cruise the Dalmation coast on a large ship. Even the smallest ships in those fleets are huge for that itinerary. Not to mention they are all pretty well known for nickel and diming.

Edited by ducklite

NONONONONONO! You don't want to cruise the Dalmation coast on a large ship. Even the smallest ships in those fleets are huge for that itinerary. Not to mention they are all pretty well known for nickel and diming.

And of course you would know what I want to do, and every cruise I have booked and not listed. :rolleyes:

You won't find a river cruise going to coastal Croatia.

There is one that I know of - but's it's a French line:

http://www.croisieuroperivercruises.com/find/cruises/0/393/0///////////0/0

And, even smaller and more laid back, there are gulet companies that cruise the Croatian coast. Google Croatia and gulet and you'll find a number of companies.

Hello Cruisers,

Take care

beginnercruizer

For Croatia that you want to see I would recommend Norwegian Cruiseline's Jade May 9 2015 or RCI's (Royal Caribbean) Splendor of the Seas on Oct 10 2015. These cruises spend a day in Croatia, it is worthy of taking a look. Since I have cruised both ships let me know what questions you have. :D

For Croatia that you want to see I would recommend Norwegian Cruiseline's Jade May 9 2015 or RCI's (Royal Caribbean) Splendor of the Seas on Oct 10 2015. These cruises spend a day in Croatia, it is worthy of taking a look. Since I have cruised both ships let me know what questions you have. :D

A "day" in Croatia. Yup, you can really see a lot in a day. Particularly as they visit Dubrovnik, can't come into the port near the old city as they are too large, have to port several miles away and then take buses. Yup, spend one day in Croatia with half the day spent just trying to get back and forth from what you are there to see. Sounds like a great reason to spend the time and money to get to Europe. :rolleyes:

Compagnie du Ponant and Windstar both tender from the bay into the old Port a one minute walk to one of the wall gates. On those ships they run two tenders and have everyone off and into the old town within about 25 minutes of arrival.

I'm sure you are aware, but for those who aren't, Koper and Kotor are in Slovenia and Montenegro respectively.