Question for the ladies

milly5959

I find the ship's water is a lot softer than we have at home, so if your usual shampoo/conditioner is rich and thick (one of the named stylist brands), it tends to weigh down the hair. Adding finishing spray before drying also adds to the weight, so I just cut out the spray and stick to quick on and off with the conditioner, lots of rinsing - no intensive conditioning.

Thank you for the advice, yes, my products are quite rich as I have such dry hair usually, next time I sail I will take a mixture of shampoos including a clarifying one and hope to avoid the 'ship hair'!!

From the Celebrity site, it says Aqua Class gets...

Custom blended bath products (shampoo, conditioner and lotion), shower cap, cotton balls and cotton swabs

I will take my own, but this cruise, I am going to at least try the shampoo and conditioner (not the lotion) and see what I think. It would be nice to have one or two less things to pack.

In the last year or so Celebrity has changed suppliers on their Standard Toiletries... The nice Lemongrass ones are no more :(

As well there have been reports that some of the products which were standard for Concierge & AquaClass have been AWOL or replaced :(

Accounts of missing Shower Gel (bar soap instead) as well as Shower Caps... And the apothacary jars of Cotton Balls & Swabs. The last 3 items would often show up when one asked for them of a Cabin Attendant... But the Cotton Balls & Swabs often came in limited supply in small individual pkgs :(

So on our upcoming cruise Mr Sloop & I will be packing our own toiletries just in case (sucks... More to pack :mad: ).

And I will be reporting as well what we find once onboard.

Cheers!

I am (as I'm sure others are also) super picky about personal care products. I avoid sodium lauryl sulfate, parabens, phthalates etc. However, it the shampoo and conditioner aren't too harsh or artificial smelling, I can manage for a week. The shampoo and conditioner are rinse off products.

The lotion, because you don't rinse it off, I am much less open to. And, if I recall, there were no ingredient lists on the bottles.

Not a big deal either way really. I would love to see them provide some healthier alternatives for AQ since that is the "theme" of the cabin class.

If the OP is flying to the US from the UK, I would just research whether her products or a good equivalent are sold here and just buy them when they arrive. Most drugstores have very large selections of hair products in many sizes and would eliminate having to pack them for flights. This is what we do when we fly overseas and even sometimes in the US. I do not like the products provided on the ship. Other toiletries could be purchased at the same time saving even more weight.

Mary Ann

After reviewing pictures of my frizz head after the shampoo and conditioner change, I will bring my own. Which I do not like to do. It is the first time I have cruised where the offered products were not good enough. :(

Hi everyone, I hope this question is not too silly, but I am wondering about toiletries on board ship, such as shampoo, soap, hair conditioner etc...what is the quality like? It doesn't matter about the quality of the shampoo/Conditioner for my husband as he doesn't have that much hair to worry about :rolleyes:

But my hair will be a total mess if I don't use decent stuff! I am thinking that if I don't have to bring my own it will help with the baggage allowance ;)

Getting near to our first cruise now only 18 days to go

Thanks

Denise

I am on the same cruise as you, I will be bringing my own shampoo and conditioner, my husband just uses what is available. If you use shower gel you may also want to bring this with you as it is only available in certain cabins I think in Aqua cabins and suites. I am not sure about Concierge cabins.

See you on 9th

Elsie

Just to clarify, the products supplied (expect for suites) are Gilchrist & Soames, in inside OV and balcony cabins you get shampoo, conditioner, body lotion and bar soap, in Concierge class & Aqua you also get shower gel

Edited by DebbieMacG

I find the ship's water is a lot softer than we have at home, so if your usual shampoo/conditioner is rich and thick (one of the named stylist brands), it tends to weigh down the hair. Adding finishing spray before drying also adds to the weight, so I just cut out the spray and stick to quick on and off with the conditioner, lots of rinsing - no intensive conditioning.

we have very hard water where I live. I love how my hair goes beach-y on all cruises, I go native:D

Thank you for the advice, yes, my products are quite rich as I have such dry hair usually, next time I sail I will take a mixture of shampoos including a clarifying one and hope to avoid the 'ship hair'!!

my hairdresser mentioned that she felt the water has so many chemicals in it from desalination that she always does a final rinse with a bottled water.:confused:I've yet to try it as I'm pleased to get a break from flat ironing my un-natural;) blonde highlighted hair and go for a different look when cruising.

I avoid sulfates in my hair care products to help preserve my color from fading, so I bring my own products along with keratin based stylers and argan oil for both shine and as a conditioner when out on beach all day

Since I fly in the day before we sail, I make a trip to the local CVS/Walgreens and purchase my shampoo/conditioner as well as sunscreen and a few other sundries such as a and a febreeze spray and pump soap for the bathroom.

I do the same. I share with my DD8 who has super thick, long hair so usually end up using it all in 7 days, esp with swimming, etc. Whatever is left I throw out (no judging, lol).

Hi,

we will cruise Celebrity in December 2015 for the first time. We have booked a balcony stateroom on Equinox.

No question, I will bring my shampoo and conditioner and my facial cleanser. But did I understand correctly, there is no shower gel in the bathroom in a balcony cabin?

Please let me know, what I can expect being available. Flying from Europe to Florida I really have think what to pack as I am limited with weight. Thanks a lot!

Edited by black forest

Celebrity shampoo and conditioner are dreadful. I buy my usual brand for use and then give ask room steward, waiter, etc. if they can use. It has never been refused, if the recipient does not use it they will share with others. Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

If unopened, they probably put them back into general inventory so they are not wasted. I don't believe they are allowed to be using products from the cabins as it might be misunderstood as stealing. :confused:

If unopened, they probably put them back into general inventory so they are not wasted. I don't believe they are allowed to be using products from the cabins as it might be misunderstood as stealing. :confused:

I was referring to the shampoo, conditioner and lotion I bring on board. There has never been an issue, I just bag them up and give them openly to the recipient.

i always take my own when travelling. my scalp does not like normal shampoo so i use medicated stuff. i use the little travel bottles and a full one of those does me for a 14 holiday with hair washing every 2/3 days. it wont weigh very much, the same for your own condititioner.

See yoo! hope to see you on board.