Silversea considering including excursions?

WesW

Just wondering where it said the responder would receive a code. I completed the survey also, and didn't receive a code either at the end of the survey or as a follow-up afterwards.
It wasn't written that I'd receive a code. Just a bad assumption on my part I guess.

In the past, when I've taken surveys for other companies, they usually provide you a code after the end of the survey, or collect your email address in order to send you a discount code to your email inbox. I have no idea how SS knows that I completed the survey and have earned the discount vs. anyone else that didn't take the survey.

It wasn't written that I'd receive a code. Just a bad assumption on my part I guess.

In the past, when I've taken surveys for other companies, they usually provide you a code after the end of the survey, or collect your email address in order to send you a discount code to your email inbox. I have no idea how SS knows that I completed the survey and have earned the discount vs. anyone else that didn't take the survey.

I think your assumption was completely rational...I expected to get some code during or after the survey. In any event, I will be booking something in the next two weeks and will see if they honor the discount without a code or any other proof that it was completed.

In any event, I will be booking something in the next two weeks and will see if they honor the discount without a code or any other proof that it was completed.
Sounds good. Will be interested to hear what you find out. I sent an email to customer service via their new web-site, so I'll let you know if/when I receive a response too.

This week I was asked to fill in a survey (5% off next cruise! No discount code or anything...)

This survey had more to do with pricing but in it they showed to examples of Silversea adverts and on each one it had "Free Shore Excursions Included".

Hmmm.....

Been missing you Craig and just yesterday Wes brought me up to date where.

Glad to know you're still sailing -- :)

aka Mary Ann

Inclusion of excursions by Silversea (therefore leading to higher standard cruise prices) would mean that we would no longer cruise on Silversea. That would be most unfortunate. Inclusion of excursions is the reason we no longer consider sailing on Regent, although we had enjoyed Regent in the past as an alternative to Silversea depending on price and itinerary. My husband and I always make our own travel arrangements, private guides, etc. We have never gone on a ship excursion on any line, nor will we ever do so. It is just not of interest to us. I have loved Silversea, and would be really sad to no longer sail on them. I have a cruise coming up on Silversea in Asia, and then another from Rome to Venice, neither of which include excursions, of course. I hope these aren't the last.

If this does go through it would make us think carefully about where we cruise with SS. We are usually pretty independent but on some itineraries, where independent travel was difficult to plan in advance, we have taken a number of ship's tours. They are not all bad... South Africa and the Black Sea itinerary come to mind as places where we didn't bother doing things on our own but used ship's tours. So for some itineraries, this could work out OK for us.

On the other hand, it would be a complete waste for us in the Med. We can get around on our own for less than the cost of two tours, and see twice as much. Would be a real pain to have to pay for excursions that we weren't taking in that part of the world and we'd have to reconsider. So I think this would limit our choices going forward.

Darn, and we are so close to free laundry... ;)

If this does go through it would make us think carefully about where we cruise with SS. We are usually pretty independent but on some itineraries, where independent travel was difficult to plan in advance, we have taken a number of ship's tours. They are not all bad... South Africa and the Black Sea itinerary come to mind as places where we didn't bother doing things on our own but used ship's tours. So for some itineraries, this could work out OK for us.

On the other hand, it would be a complete waste for us in the Med. We can get around on our own for less than the cost of two tours, and see twice as much. Would be a real pain to have to pay for excursions that we weren't taking in that part of the world and we'd have to reconsider. So I think this would limit our choices going forward.

Darn, and we are so close to free laundry... ;)

It is sad, but also sadly inevitable.

Sadly, this is a part of an understandable trajectory. Normally it is customers who abandon the products they use .... including cruises ... but in this case it is the product that has abandoned many of it's original and later customers. These changes are more a consequence of expansion rather than product improvement. Silversea were originally what most understand of a 6* cruise line. The first small luxury line to have balconies and higher prices but extraordinary product! Then they decided to expand and bought ships and diversified into expeditions. This meant expand volume rather than maintain and improve quality.

The inclusive excursions idea - if it happens - is easy to understand. As they expand they need to drag customers from other lines. So management asks marketing ""what is it that our competitors do that we don't do". An answer they come back with is "include excursions". You would think a line like SS might ask their customers whether they want this before they do it. But that now isn't the SS way. In fact the number of customers from competitor products is more important (in their mind) than maintain their existing customers because they conclude they wont lose many customers anyway. So why fret.

And that is why we are where we are. Many customers left without a perfect cruise line.

:)

Fear not old SS faithfuls

Seabourn has today announced the building of a second new ship for 2018 to add to the new build due in 2016

I have been invited to see the plans of the new builds in London on Dec 16th and will find out what additions are being added to them.

Very exciting news for luxury cruisers who want the best afloat.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

The problem is that the cruise line is run to make money. They must have figured out that the line will be more profitable if they include excursions, even factoring in the loss of some loyal customers.

Now if they would only unbundle the alcohol for us. I drink more because it's included, but if they didn't have it I'd not have a drop...We're sooo getting screwed on the liquor, but what can you do other than sail a line that charges extra...

Just wondering where it said the responder would receive a code. I completed the survey also, and didn't receive a code either at the end of the survey or as a follow-up afterwards.

I received an email with a 5% discount certificate today.

Been missing you Craig and just yesterday Wes brought me up to date where.

Glad to know you're still sailing -- :)

aka Mary Ann

Hi Mary Ann!!! It's a delight to "hear" from you!!! I hope you've been well!!! Where's next for you?

Craig,

Hope you're enjoying your current cruise.

Is it your impression that the included excursions are a done deal?

Thanks! It was great.

The survey asked a bunch of demographic questions and then separately showed two Silversea adverts. After each advert the questions dealt with what I thought would be a low price and a high price...how much would I pay for these cruises. The flaw in the survey was that neither cruise "offered" would be one I'd be interested in, (i.e. a San Juan round-trip), so they couldn't pay me to take that cruise! :D

Anyway, to your question...both adverts had the same "All Shore Excursions Included" stamp on it.

So, although there was no specific mention of the all-inclusive tours, I was admonished to "read the advert carefully".

I figured that they survey was really about how much would people pay for cruises with the tours included without overtly asking about it.

Hi Mary Ann!!! It's a delight to "hear" from you!!! I hope you've been well!!! Where's next for you?

HI CRAIG ! I am supercalifragilistic expialidocious -- and eagerly awaiting embarking on Silver Cloud January 5 - FLL round trip. Easy - no stressful international flights, but not ruling that out for right itinerary....;)

So glad to hear from you.

M.A.

Craig, gentle reminder u owe a rating on the recent Cloud crossing :)

p.s., gotta love cruise critic--I completed shore excursion survey in October did not read fine print or see any 5% discount offer but thanks to fellow CC posts above have asked our TA to try to secure another 5% discount on our upcoming Spirit voyage in February. Will report back.

Edited by WesW

So would Seabourn be the only luxury cruise line left for those of us who do not want included excursions? I have not sailed with them in the past (having considered Silversea the superior product), but would certainly consider for the future if this excursion business goes forward with Silversea.

So would Seabourn be the only luxury cruise line left for those of us who do not want included excursions? I have not sailed with them in the past (having considered Silversea the superior product), but would certainly consider for the future if this excursion business goes forward with Silversea.

How can you consider Silversea superior to Seabourn if you have never sailed on Seabourn?

How can you consider Silversea superior to Seabourn if you have never sailed on Seabourn?

Hear hear. I have sailed both (Silversea 3 or 4 times, Seabourn many) and would not call either superior. We personally vastly prefer Seabourn, but that is a purely individual taste. However, really hope that neither of these lines goes along the Regent route.:eek:

Fear that next logical step alongside introduction of cruises including excursions is no more complementary shuttle buses in most ports on economic grounds.Has anyone in UK received the survey or is it US only?Hope none of this happens which seems the general consensus from many long standing SS cruisers.