Inside with Walkway view?

lbow2006

My husband and I took our first cruise two years ago and are getting ready to take our second within the next year or so. The difference is that we now have a 1 year old who will likely be two by the time we cruise. We are planning on asking my mom to come with us as well so that makes 4 people. We think the best way to do this would be to get two rooms that are considered inside with a walkway view. My question is this: How often are the walkways in front of these types of rooms used by other guests?

Last time we had a triple balcony on Carnival Legend so getting an inside room instead is a bit of a compromise for us, but we thought perhaps these walkways may be somewhat private and we could maybe hang out on it as though it were a shared private deck with the other few rooms right there, lol. I'm planning on cruising on the November 29, 2014 Breeze cruise and selecting rooms 7201 and 7202 or if unavailable 10206 and 10205 on Lido. Is that likely or should we consider a different type of room? Also any suggestions for cruising with a toddler? :p

I think it is usually pretty quiet and not many or nobody out there, but from what I hear, it can be quite windy out there when the ship is moving, and there are also no loungers out there, so one would not really want to spend a long time there, just standing at the rail. I see some photos where there is a wooden bench, but again, would not be comfortable to sit there for long.

Still for the price of an inside room, these are a good deal.

Edited by SMSACE6

I think it is usually pretty quiet and not many or nobody out there, but from what I hear, it can be quite windy out there when the ship is moving, and there are also no loungers out there, so one would not really want to spend a long time there, just standing at the rail. I see some photos where there is a wooden bench, but again, would not be comfortable to sit there for long.

Still for the price of an inside room, these are a good deal.

Ah okay I hadn't thought about the wind factor. I just figure with a little one we probably won't use it a ton anyway. We had breakfast out on ours two years ago a few times and hung out there at night, but I think we can make do. :)

We went on our first cruise last year and stayed in one. It was perfect.. Not much traffic at all up there. :) We are booked on the glory for our honeymoon and booked a 4J again!

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Perfect! I was hoping since we have our little one with us that would be a better compromise. To me having that deck right there makes those rooms better than an oceanview. I'll miss the balcony, but we were spoiled by the balcony we got originally anyway, lol.

Definitely better than an oceanview:), and a lower cost to boot. I have only ever sailed in inside rooms, porthole, or oceanview, and on my upcoming Freedom cruise, I am looking forward to one of these 4js for the first time. I might also become spoiled. :D

I figure it's a compromise. I can't justify the cost of a balcony ;)

4J's are a great compromise from a balcony. Not as private or convenient as a balcony, but the views from the forward deck can't be beat. The wind can be hit or miss also. Can be challenging fun to be out there in the wind, but when the wind is not blowing hard, which is the case more times than not, well, at least thats been our experience, that forward deck is a great place to watch the ocean go by....

4J's are a great compromise from a balcony. Not as private or convenient as a balcony, but the views from the forward deck can't be beat. The wind can be hit or miss also. Can be challenging fun to be out there in the wind, but when the wind is not blowing hard, which is the case more times than not, well, at least thats been our experience, that forward deck is a great place to watch the ocean go by....

I bet they are also a great vantage point for watching as you sail into port of calls. I am looking forward to one on my cruise next month:)

My sister and her husband had one of these cabins on a family cruise a while back. The room is pretty cramped, but it has lots of light during the day. At night, folks on the walkway can see into your room if your drapes are not closed.

The "walkway" is windy while the ship is moving, but pleasant while you're in port.

And, of course, your plan gets you two cabins, which means two bathrooms, which is a very nice thing for a multigenerational group.

ALthough the cabins are small, it will feel roomier than stuffing all four of you into an outside or balcony cabin.

My husband and I had a room similar on the Valor last year. Very few people other than myself and my neighbor next door used the deck area. There were several chaise lounges set up as well as a couple of benches. It was quite windy most of the time. The only real negative thing about it was the distance between the room and closest elevators - quite a distance to walk otherwise I thought it was great and would do it again.

I was told that the 4j rooms did not have a couch in the room. Is this correct ?

I think it's sort of a it depends on the ship kind of thing. No couch in 4J's we've stayed in on the Sunshine, had 2 4J's on 2 Breeze cruises, 1 without a couch, and 1 WITH a couch...couple of chairs and a table in a 4J on Liberty

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was told that the 4j rooms did not have a couch in the room. Is this correct ?

Not correct. Some have them, and some don't. We had a 4J on the Dream with a sofa and we have a 4J booked on the Sunshine that will have one. Both are quad cabins with a sofa bed and a pull out bed over the sofa.

We stayed in 1003 on the Triumph last time and it was a huge cabin. The actual open floor space seemed as big as one of the grand suites but obviously without the massive bathroom and balcony area. Maybe 3-4 people walked by per day and usually only when we first docked in the morning. Now on the last day we had to sit out in the gulf waiting for the fog to clear and it was very busy.

This might be a weird question, but how do you get out on the deck from that cabin? Is there a doorway?

No direct from your cabin to deck but there is a door (actually a double door combo) on both sides of the ship by these cabins. Just be sure to close the first door before opening the second as the wind (vacuum) created will cause the doors to slam LOUDLY.

I figure it's a compromise. I can't justify the cost of a balcony ;)

Our first cruise together I really wanted a balcony just because I'd never been on a cruise and I liked the idea of hearing the ocean from our room at night. That being said we got even more spoiled because the room that popped up available was a triple length balcony on Legend for the price of a regular extended balcony (I had been planning on getting an obstructed view balcony, lol). It was only $100 more so I booked it.

Which is why now I hesitate a bit on booking insides, but thought that a 4J version of an inside may just work. I wouldn't be willing to leave the deck door open at night with our little one anyway. It would just make me nervous.

Definitely better than an oceanview:), and a lower cost to boot. I have only ever sailed in inside rooms, porthole, or oceanview, and on my upcoming Freedom cruise, I am looking forward to one of these 4js for the first time. I might also become spoiled. :D

Oh don't worry about being spoiled. :) I had a balcony for our first and I think I'm going to be okay with these 4J's for our next one. Honestly with children I feel safer not worrying about them having access to the balcony from within our room. :)

The ones that I'm looking at booking have couches. That's because they are the center two rooms on that floor though. The side 2 on each side are a bit shorter and as far as I know don't have couches.