Questions RE: Princess@Sea Messenger

doublet

No windows phone app is planned, though it looks like you may be able to use some version of it from the intranet via browser.

For those without smartphones or tablets, its not an option.

What about those of us who do not use Android or Apple?

What about those of us who do not use Android or Apple?

The Princess emails have only mentioned Android and Apple apps. Those with Windows are out of luck on the app. However, it is my understanding you can still text on the ship even without the app. If you do not have the app, you will not get visual/homescreen notifications of your texts and you will not get audible text notification, but you can text message.

Does anyone have any update on the Messenger app availability? As at today, it still is not available for downloading from the App store or Google Play. There seems to be conflicting info as to whether it is available on board the Regal, which we board this Sunday.

Thanks in advance...

Does anyone have any update on the Messenger app availability? As at today, it still is not available for downloading from the App store or Google Play. There seems to be conflicting info as to whether it is available on board the Regal, which we board this Sunday.

Thanks in advance...

Please give us an update on whether it is available on the Regal or not. I just spoke with someone at Princess and was told it is not. But, she also didn't know what I was talking about until I explained it. She put me on hold, came back and told me it is not up and running on any ships. According to her it is still in the testing phase. ????? I didn't get an answer that made any sense on the matter that I called about either.

Thanks in advance...

See posts 28-31 on this thread. CanICruiseSoon who was just off the Regal reports that it is working on the ship, but still no apps available to download prior to sailing.

See posts 28-31 on this thread. CanICruiseSoon who was just off the Regal reports that it is working on the ship, but still no apps available to download prior to sailing.

I saw those, thanks, they were a few posts ahead of mine. I wanted some more inputs because I have also seen posts on other threads that say it ISN'T up and running yet, as at yesterday, as well as post 34 here wherein Princess themselves say it is also NOT available. And of course, Princess always knows exactly what is happening on all its ships, right? No confusion there ;o) .

If CanICruiseSoon was able to run it and others not, that, too, could point to a problem.

It was not an app you download. It is a sign on. Just go into internet cafe or use your phone to sign on. There's no charge. We figured it out on our own. It shows instructionss on phone or pc. Start off when you're on ship by going to regal.princess.com. Instructions are there afterwards.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Forums mobile app

I think there is some confusion between the app and Princess@Sea Messenger. From the Princess website:

Quote starts.

The Princess@Sea Messenger is integrated in the complimentary Princess@Sea mobile app, accessed via a smartphone or tablet browser. It debuts on Regal Princess in November and will be rolled out to all cruise ships in the entire fleet by the end of 2015.

Guests will be able to download Princess@Sea Messenger for free before sailing at the Apple or Android App Store or on board with the purchase of an internet package. Limited messaging functionality will also be available in Princess@Sea without downloading the app.

Quote Ends.

Looks like the app is not available but it also looks like those who say it's available and are using it are really using the "limited messaging functionality" that is available without downloading the app. There are more capabilities in the app such as: "the ability to check the day’s events and activities, review the ship’s itinerary and port guides, browse restaurant menus and even access their stateroom account."

The question to those currently on Regal is are they merely exchanging messages or can they use all the features?

It was not an app you download. It is a sign on. Just go into internet cafe or use your phone to sign on. There's no charge. We figured it out on our own. It shows instructionss on phone or pc. Start off when you're on ship by going to regal.princess.com. Instructions are there afterwards.

I understand what you are saying.

There are supposed to be three versions of the messenger,

Android, IOS, and browser.

It doesn't sound like either app is available, but the

browser version is. (at least from the description)

Right now, I still don't see any app on the google play store.

But, I will give the browser version a try tomorrow.

Thank you for the first-hand report.

Edited by pablo222

Princess@Sea was available through your browser on the Regal. Princess Messenger is incorporated into Princess@Sea than an app shouldn't be needed.

...from the princess press release:

"*Princess@Sea messenger will be available for download from November 1, 2014. Messaging functionality will be available in Princess@Sea without downloading the app; however, notifications will not be displayed on the home screen or notification area."

...so, it sounds to me like if you want notifications, you need the app.

Otherwise, you will have to check the browser for notifications.

On the other hand, November 1, 2014 was two weeks ago.

We were able to access the Princess@Sea website onboard the Regal TA. The site did not yet include the messenger feature.

They're going to have to do some serious upgrades to the Wi-Fi network if messenger is going to be at all useful. We had to stand next to the hallway door to get even the weakest signal in our PH suite. No way would we get a message notification even a few feet from the door.

It's interesting that we were in the same suite last year on the Royal TA and the Wi-Fi was fantastic! We were able to access the internet while on our balcony. Others on the same cruise could not get any signal at all in their cabin.

Lew

We were able to access the Princess@Sea website onboard the Regal TA. The site did not yet include the messenger feature.

I checked the regal page today, and it looks like the messenger is there.

I did not have a folio number to create account and confirm.

On my last three cruises, wifi was poor in cabin.

I usually bring a monopod for pictures.

It occured to me on my last cruise that the monopod rigged

horizontally in the against the open door was quite adjustable;

and having the door open greatly improved reception.

We are just back from the Regal and used the messenger as part of the web based application since it didn't look like there was a downloadable app available. It works as long as you know the folio number of the person. You set them up as a contact and can then send them a message. The problem is that in its current state as a web based application, there is no notification when you get a new message. The other person has to periodically check. Not great for messages that need an immediate response, but great for things like "let's meet at Crooners at 7". Hopefully if they get an app, it will give you some kind of alert.

We are just back from the Regal and used the messenger as part of the web based application since it didn't look like there was a downloadable app available. It works as long as you know the folio number of the person. You set them up as a contact and can then send them a message. The problem is that in its current state as a web based application, there is no notification when you get a new message. The other person has to periodically check. Not great for messages that need an immediate response, but great for things like "let's meet at Crooners at 7". Hopefully if they get an app, it will give you some kind of alert.

I believe we were on the same cruise. I'm glad you got it to work. The afternoon of embarkation, after being unable to find the app in the Android App Store or any information about the Messenger, I went down to the internet cafe. There were 2 representatives at the desk who told me that they had had several questions about the app, but that they had been told absolutely nothing about it whatsoever. They had never heard of it and had no information if or when it would be available, or who it was supposed to work. I tried to find the app repeatedly during the cruise, without success. I did try and use the messenger feature that appeared on the Princess@Sea intranet page, also without success; but I tried using username and cabin number. Never heard anything about a "folio number". Will be interesting to see if this actually works, eventually.

I just got off the Regal as well. We were a group of 14 and used the web based version and not the app. The messenger feature was a life saver. Yes, you had to refresh the screen to see if you had new messages, but when you're trying to coordinate a large group, it was a big help. Also, you're able to access the ships schedule on your device.... so easy! Hopefully the app will provide some form of notification when you get new messages. Hopefully the other cruise lines will take note!

Yeah, we tried at first using the name, and then when that didn't work. For those wanting to use the app, go to the "my contacts" part of it and in the search box, it says "enter a folio number". This is the four digit number on your card. As soon as you put it in there, it adds that person's name to your list of contacts, as long as they've created an account.

You dont download and app for this. Once you are on board you will go to safari or whatever client you are using put in the web address they give you and you are there. I saved mine to my home screen while on the Royal. They did not however have any texting options at that time which was May/June this year.

I just spent 10 wonderful days on the Royal. Being a bit technology challenged, I took myself and my iPhone to the Internet Cafe and the wonderful tech took my phone, pushed some buttons and voila, I had an app for Princess @ Sea (as noted, this is not a messenger, but they plan add features soon. Might this be one of them?). Being able to check schedules on the fly was great. It also had a location feature, showing where a venue is. It's pretty much Patters on line but much better. The Internet guy also downloaded an app to log onto and another to log off of the ship's internet. Easy. Don't waste time looking for the app, let the Internet guy (or gal) set it up for you.

Maureen