Thank you Princess

deborahjo

I booked our first Princess Cruise a month ago. It is to Alaska.

I called on a Sunday to book it. I explained to this gal that this is a surprise for my husband. It is on his Bucket List and we will be celebrating 30 years next year. She said no problem he will not know a thing til I tell him. She insisted that she had to have all of his information to be put on file. That was fine.

I also need a handicap cabin for my husband. She informed me that he does not meet the handicap cabin guidelines. I tried to explain to her that he did and she was just rude. She did let me book it but said I would have to file a doctors note with Special Needs Department. I told her no big deal.

Was done booking hung up and waited for my email conformation. It never came. Within 30 minutes my husband received an email not once but twice thanking him for booking with Princess. I saw red.

On Monday I placed a call to Princess. The very nice lady looked up my booking and she verified that the emails had been sent to my husband even though there was a note for him to not receive any information. She contacted me with Customer Service.

At Customer Service a very nice lady saw what had happened. She offered me $100 OBC for the issues but I would have to PROVE my husbands disability still. I told her I did not want nothing but the handicap cabin for my husband. She said she would have to call me back.

Within and hour another Customer Service person called me. She said Princess has placed us in a handicap cabin and there is no verification needed. She said she was sorry for all the problems and gave me our cabin number. I thanked her and she said by the way that cabin is a balcony. She said she felt it was warranted she upgrade us. I thanked her.

Boy was my husband surprised.

Last week my husband says he can no longer take a vacation crossing 2 week ends. The Alaska cruise I choose was Sept 5th-12th. Saturday to Saturday. Ohh Noooo.

I called the gal back in Customer Service and got her voice mail and ask if we could change to the Coral Princess from the Star Princess since it sails Wednesday to Wednesday. September 2nd-9th.

I spoke to her today. Just wanted to know if we could change date, ship and keep the balcony she upgraded us to. She checked some things out and came back and said yes I could. So I am now on the Coral Princess in a balcony.

Thank you Princess for turning a terrible thing into WONDERFUL gift for my husband.

Wow. This started out sounding pretty bad and I was wondering if the "Thanks" in the title was sarcasm. Glad to see that it wasn't and that things worked out so well for you. I can well imagine how you felt having to call back to try to change ships and cruises. :eek:

Sometimes good things happen. Thanks for sharing.

Don't be too harsh on the CSR. I had some guests for cocktails in our suite and one couple perked up very proudly saying how their inside cabin was almost as big and they always book a handicap cabin even though neither one of them needed an accessible cabin. They boasted how they we're sooo smart. I was shocked at their lack of respect for people that really needed the cabin. Unfortunately this has forced the people that need it most to prove it.

Don't be too harsh on the CSR. I had some guests for cocktails in our suite and one couple perked up very proudly saying how their inside cabin was almost as big and they always book a handicap cabin even though neither one of them needed an accessible cabin. They boasted how they we're sooo smart. I was shocked at their lack of respect for people that really needed the cabin. Unfortunately this has forced the people that need it most to prove it.

I also know a couple who book a handicap cabin for no other reason than they like it and feel they are getting something for nothing. You can't blame Princess for asking for proof of your disability with jerks like that trying to scam the cruise lines.

I'm glad things worked out for you. I can understand that policy on the handicap room because 2 yrs ago we took my mom on a cruise and they didn't have any available. My mom had a hard time showering in the regular shower, but we made the best of it. Sad to think someone has that room that didn't need it. :rolleyes:

I realize people try to get handicap cabins for their size but my DH is truly handicap. Our last three cruises on Carnival have been in their handicap and they have also been wonderful.

On Carnival we called Special Needs to see if we could get grip bars added to our room 2 years ago and by the time we were off the phone they moved us to a handicap room and his profile is noted as always being placed in a handicap cabin.

He is not in a wheelchair yet but has stability issues that are progressing and not in a good way. That is why we are doing Princess next year. In hopes he will still be able to get around and enjoy it.

Greyt Mom-I dealt with Customer Service not a Vacation Planner.