Not to miss food/drink items?

fhmoore

Due to the ill health of our parents we haven't cruised for five years and the last time on X was seven years ago. We will be on the Constellation for the second time for the five day Thanksgiving cruise in 2015. What's an absolute must have food/drink on X?

Also, anyone who's done a Thanksgiving cruise....what is done special for the holiday??

Thanks!

Ohhh I am loving this post! We are going on our first Celebrity cruise in just 37 days, and we are definitely foodies (which was a large reason for picking Celebrity this time). Plus, I'm pregnant, so I have the appetite of a small horse ;) Keep the suggestions coming!

Also, anyone have any non-alcoholic drink/mocktail recommendations?

Ohhh I am loving this post! We are going on our first Celebrity cruise in just 37 days, and we are definitely foodies (which was a large reason for picking Celebrity this time). Plus, I'm pregnant, so I have the appetite of a small horse ;) Keep the suggestions coming!

Also, anyone have any non-alcoholic drink/mocktail recommendations?

Virgin pina coladas. My DH also tried virgin ceasars (yeah, basically Clamato juice with spices in it - he liked it though).

Food - waaaay too many great things to list. Lol, eating is never a chore on a cruise... Definitely a highlight of each day.

Drinks - again too many great things to list. But for myself a personal fave was discovered on our first Celebrity Cruise... The Pyrat Alexander. I was tempted on a hot summer day by a very personable Jamaican Bartender who was making drinks for others at The Passport Bar (which was quickly on that cruise becoming our bar of choice... Primarily because of this longtime Celebrity Crewmember who was a gifted Mixologist & Schmoozer... Best qualities in a Bartender! ).

Anyhow, very hot day ashore and we make it inside the cool & welcoming Solstice and head right to The Passport Bar. I am wondering what to order from their long list of frozen concoctions (as in pleasingly mind numbing kind of frozen). When said Bartender who is in the process of pouring from the Blender for another Guest, plops down in front of me a very short glass of the leftover remains from the Blender.

Cool, icy, refreshing... And packed with punch... It was the beginning of a love affair with a Pyrat (pirate) that I now seek out on every cruise...

A Celebrity Pyrat Alexander contains... Pyrat XO Rum, Patron XO Cafe Liqueur, Disaronno Originale Amaretto, with Island Oasis Ice Cream & Whipped Cream

It truly is to die for... Ultimate frozen drink.

Cheers!

Edited by Sloop-JohnB

From one caregiver to another...Congratulations on your well deserved vacation!!

Here are our favorites:

1) Escargot....dip bread in butter after you eat the Escargot.

2) Anything Pistachio- croissant at al bacio, or pistachio gelato (gelateria)but must get with a scoop of chocolate. MDR had pistachio ice cream once and was to die for.

3) Nutella crepe -bistro on 5

4) Breakfast crepes -bistro on 5. often love going here instead of buffet

5) Wild Forest Mushroom soup in MDR or Murano

6) French Onion Soup

7) MDR had a banana walnut dessert at one point- was fabulous

8) Chocolate Souffle- had in murano on eclipse a few years ago...fantastic!

9) We like Martini's but my fave remains an appletini. DH loves the tropitini vodka-lemon rum-blue curaco and pineapple (too sweet for me)

10) Diver scallop wellington-murano

Edited by H2OH!

I've only seen venison in Murano and it's been delicious except for the one time it was overcooked. The rack of lamb on every cruise line I've ever been on is excellent. Now, when I order, I ask for a double portion, as I know it will be great. It's the only food item I double up on.

I've only seen venison in Murano and it's been delicious except for the one time it was overcooked. The rack of lamb on every cruise line I've ever been on is excellent. Now, when I order, I ask for a double portion, as I know it will be great. It's the only food item I double up on.

Thanks for all the tips!

I had it in the Normandie and it was better than anything my family ever shot! :p

I had an Italian version of eggs benedict in the OVC nearly every morning. YUMMO! They make multiple versions....

I 100th the escargot and I 2nd the "dip your bread in the leftover butter".

I didn't care for the tiramisu (but am picky about it) and ended up having Crème Brule nearly every night, as well as my BIL.

:) Discovering (and not paying, but yes paying ;) ) is all the fun!

Edited by tophatgirl

I know it's somewhat mundane, but I just love the bread pudding with vanilla sauce at the Oceanview Cafe. Something I would feel too guilty to make at home... and a lot of their ice creams and sorbets are really good. Love the curries, soups and whole grain breads. DH loves the breadsticks.

Mocktail of choice for my NA husband is the sparkling mint lemonade. Kind of an NA mojito, with lemon instead of lime. We make them at home now; its a really good drink!