Not to miss food/drink items?

fhmoore

There are more than one type of tour...

We took the Galley Tour on The Solstice, and there were no stairs.

No stairs on the Bridge Tour either.

Have heard there are stairs on the Back Stage Theatre Tour.

And also on the BIG Behind The Scenes Ship Tour that goes many many places, lasts several hours and often includes Lunch (but also costs BIG BUCK$ )

We liked the Galley Tour very much, and learned tons. Agree with BKFLOWERMOUND if you can fit it (or any of them) into your schedule do

Cheers!

How do we sign up for galley tour?

Yup, same "Fleetwide 14" when it comes to Menues.

Suppose they do this for convenience (and perhaps cost) reasons.

Know that it comes up a lot on the various Northern NA Sailings (New England & Canada - Canada & Alaska) in both spots where Pax would like to see some of the amazing local Fish & Seafood on Celebrity's Menues

But sadly... No

Cheers!

Actually this is incorrect. We just got off the Summit last week and at our port stop in Portland ME they took on fresh lobster and served it that night. I was on the dock when a Chef was inspecting the cases of lobster coming in and he took one out and was holding it up for people to take pictures of.

So it does happen.

photo_zps4b9d3ba4.jpg

Edited by ORV

How do we sign up for galley tour?

We heard about it at the Celebrity Connections / CC Roll Call Meet Up... But it evidently was also listed in Celebrity Today (this was on The Solstice).

Big turn out... Heard they even had to limit it in the end... So I would chat with Guest Relations shortly after you get aboard to find out if one is planned / get your name(s) on the list.

Was truly fascinating.

Know that TLCOHIO has some great photos from the Galley Tour they did (also on The Solstice)... You can do a CC SEARCH to find them.

EDIT TO ADD - Found some pics for you, see TLCOHIO's Trip Report here = http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

Galley Tour pics are on Page 7, Post # 127

Actually this is incorrect. We just got off the Summit last week and at our port stop in Portland ME they took on fresh lobster and served it that night. I was on the dock when a Chef was inspecting the cases of lobster coming in and he took one out and was holding it up for people to take pictures of.

So it does happen.

photo_zps4b9d3ba4.jpg

Wow that is great news (and a FABULOUS photo)

Last news type article I read, Celebrity / RCCL was "considering" this, glad to hear it is happening.

Lol, makes me now really want to take a Down East Cruise

Cheers!

Edited by Sloop-JohnB
Edit to add link for photos

• 1 month later...
Know that TLCOHIO has some great photos from the Galley Tour they did (also on The Solstice)... You can do a CC SEARCH to find them.

EDIT TO ADD - Found some pics for you, see TLCOHIO's Trip Report here = http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

Galley Tour pics are on Page 7, Post # 127

Appreciate so much the kind mention/comments from this great CC poster from Canada. Had great fun on the Solstice earlier this year while doing Australia and New Zealand. This included doing a bridge tour. See a few visual samples below. Yes, it was definitely worth the time. I asked one of the staff members during our CC get-together about doing this tour. She got it arranged. Check out the postings below on my live/blog for more info/background on these many different ports, tour options, visuals, ship food, etc.!

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Enjoyed a 14-day Celebrity Solstice, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for more info and pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 88,030 views for this posting.

From our Bridge Tour early this year, here are four visual samples. The Bridge is on the same level as our room, the tenth floor. First is inside this glassed over-hang with the ship officer explaining what all of the many buttons, dials and knobs do to control the ship's speed, direction, etc. Plus, you can see many other screens that update all of the key navigating information, etc.:

TuscanampBridge18_zps315d0e27.jpg

This next picture shows the glassed opening in the floor of this portion of the Bridge where the officers can see straight down to the water and be able to check how close is the ship to a docking point. The second picture down from this control area showing the side of the ship and various balconies on this port side of the Solstice.:

TuscanampBridge19_zpscd8ed56b.jpg

TuscanampBridge110_zps30d92e7a.jpg

Finally, here is an example for the details on one of the screens in this control area of the Bridge. With computerization, the actually space needed for this equipment is actually fairly small. This ship was completed in late 2008 and is fairly new to be incorporating the latest technologies for sailing.:

TuscanampBridge111_zps8bea42e2.jpg

I am a big fan of Celebrity's food. I love the cheesecake, cesear salad with anchovies, escargot, onion soup, lunch coissants used for sandwiches, mushroom soup, black and white cookies, and igloo coffee. On my last cruise on a more upscale line, the food wasn't nearly as good as Celebrity. I miss the nightly chocolates with various flavors.

Made-to-order Eggs Benedict in Oceanview café. Loved the Scottish one (salmon) and Mexican (over ships with salsa). They have traditional also.

I am a big fan of Blood Sausage so I liked that they had that most days in Oceanview.

Sushi in the afternoon. Check the calendar for exact times but on Summit it was normally put out around 5 - 5:30.

Indian/Asian food -They had the best Butter Chicken. Only saw this in Oceanview café. The selections varied each day.

Loved sitting in Café El Bacio, having a server bring you your favorite coffee drink and getting a snack. They have great cookies and cakes - which are free of charge whether you buy a coffee or not. You can even get them to go.

Sort of correct. One of the overlooked aspects of restaurant operations is consistency. Every chef in every kitchen needs to be able to make the same meal so it comes out the same way every time. This is difficult enough in restaurants with a single location (i.e. Le Bec Fin in Philadelphia) but far more difficult in restaurants with multiple locations (i.e. Les Halles in two New York locations, DC, and Japan), and even more so with chains (i.e. Ruth's Chris). In addition to standardized training there also needs to be standardized ingredients. This is why Le Bec Fin can feature signature dishes using ingredients from nearby Lancaster farms, but when Anthony Bordin visited the Japan location of Les Halles half his visit was spent trying to figure out how to make the French fries taste the same without a ready supply of American peanut oil. It's why most national chains tend towards bland food (i.e. Olive Garden, Applebees): it's easier to consistently produce "good enough" food, and safer than producing some food that's great and some that's just "eh."

For Celebrity and other large cruise lines where they need to brand themselves, consistency in the product is essential, although as a few minutes reading Cruise Critic will prove, still elusive. Someone who liked the food on their first cruise in the Caribbean needs to know they will be able to get the same experience on their cruise from Australia. That's how you build brand loyalty. As such the company has a huge incentive to use the same suppliers for all ships in the fleet. The savings from bulk ordering are a significant factor but ultimately not the determining factor.

This does, of course, lead to other problems. When we travel we want to try local foods. If I'm in Australia I want to be able to enjoy the local beef. If I'm in Italy I want to be able to enjoy the local wine. If I'm in Maine I want to have Maine lobster. The new RCI local foods program is likely intended to address this need via specials, just as land-based restaurants do. There are other complications with this, however, such as estimating demand. Underestimate and you risk making passengers angrier if you can't indulge everyone who wants the special, while if you overestimate you risk wasting a great deal of food and money. Now try and budget for that, especially if you're unable to upcharge for local foods. Of course there are solutions (order a lot and freeze what you don't use right away) but at that point you might as well ship it around the world as it's no longer fresh, in which case you might as well make those options available to everyone.

I'm going to close by pointing out that working out these supply logistics are some of the most complicated aspects of globalization to the point that for many companies that started in other sectors, it's become their primary source of income. McDonalds' global operations, for example, has many other businesses besides fast food. In fact, if one were to rank their business operations by revenue fast food barely ranks in the top ten revenue sources for the company; it's the ninth most profitable venture for the company. What's number one? Supply logistics. And that's why, although it may be horrible, your Big Mac in Los Angeles will still taste exactly the same as your Big Mac in New York City. Or Paris. Or Hong Kong.

First or second night, there was a beef tenderloin, that melted in my mouth - so good!

After reading so much here about the Indian food, I was rather disappointed in it. But then, I'm Indian, and while I don't personally cook Indian food, I've eaten at some really good restaurants (lol including mom's kitchen). It wasn't bad be any means, it just wasn't great.

I think the desserts on celebrity were better by far than royal,