will i make my flight? (Ft Lauderdale)

whaler55

My wife and I are looking to book a flight home from Ft Laud Sunday morning after getting off the new Princess Regal on 11/09. My wife sees a flight to Atlanta that's cheaper than other flights home, but it's at 9:20 in the morning. My question to you, do you think we would make it? We haven't had to rush to the airport before so we're not too sure if we should roll the dice here. thanks for you opinion in advance.

You might make it, but you will likely miss it :eek: -- how much to fly standby later in the day? :confused: Do you want to spend your cruise worried about making your flight home? :confused: I would book a flight after 11:00 - preferably after noon.

For a 9:20 flight you need to be at the airport by about 7:50 - which means off the ship, with bags, clear of customs/immigration and in a taxi and rolling by about 7:35. If ANYTHING goes wrong you are out of luck.

Edited by JohninDC

We are coming off the Island Princess for an Air Canada flight in FLL at 10:50am. We now realize that it will be tight. What can we do to speed up the process, we have to be at the gate at 10:20am. How do we get to be in the first group off? What time do they usually let you start getting off? How long does it take? Can we carry our own luggage? Are taxis readily available? How long is the taxi ride to the airport? Can we print our boarding passes on the ship? Where? Then we just have to drop bags, go thru screening and run for gate? Think we will make it? There are 6 adults

We are coming off the Island Princess for an Air Canada flight in FLL at 10:50am. We now realize that it will be tight. What can we do to speed up the process, we have to be at the gate at 10:20am. How do we get to be in the first group off? What time do they usually let you start getting off? How long does it take? Can we carry our own luggage? Are taxis readily available? How long is the taxi ride to the airport? Can we print our boarding passes on the ship? Where? Then we just have to drop bags, go thru screening and run for gate? Think we will make it? There are 6 adults

Early in the cruise you should go to the reception desk and ask that you be in the first group off the ship. If you can take the luggage off yourself you can request that you do self disembark. Always remember that other might have the same idea that you do about wanting to be off first.

For most airlines you can check in for your flight 24 hours before departure and you can print the boarding passes on the ship by using their internet facilities. You will pay for the internet you use.

I am not trying to worry you but there are things that are out of your control and that includes delays in customs/immigration at the port or even the ship getting to port late or a backup to get a taxi and long security lines at the airport.

Keith

Early in the cruise you should go to the reception desk and ask that you be in the first group off the ship. If you can take the luggage off yourself you can request that you do self disembark. Always remember that other might have the same idea that you do about wanting to be off first.

For most airlines you can check in for your flight 24 hours before departure and you can print the boarding passes on the ship by using their internet facilities. You will pay for the internet you use.

I am not trying to worry you but there are things that are out of your control and that includes delays in customs/immigration at the port or even the ship getting to port late or a backup to get a taxi and long security lines at the airport.

Keith

I've done self-disembarkation on Princess and RC and prefer not to. So many people do this that it is very chaotic; the last time I did it seemed that every passenger on the ship was there. So let's say you get up really early and get to the disembarkation area. As more people arrive, people get pushed, sometimes getting pushed to the back. The advantage is that you will be off before the people with disembarkation times are called.

cheaper than other flights home, but it's at 9:20 in the morning. My question to you, do you think we would make it? We haven't had to rush to the airport before so we're not too sure if we should roll the dice here. thanks for you opinion in advance.

Figure out what a hotel would cost for an extra night if the stay is possible. Gives you the lower cost flight the day after and an extra day in Fl. ;)

I wouldn't do this one. Those early flight from FTL are always cheaper and tempting to the "gamblers". You would have to have a perfect departure with no delays at any step. Are you a gambler?

Unfortunately, if we dont make the flight we lose the money--then we have to buy a last minute flight--very expensive plus another hotel night. Unfortunately we have already booked the flight with no changes

Unfortunately, if we dont make the flight we lose the money--then we have to buy a last minute flight--very expensive plus another hotel night. Unfortunately we have already booked the flight with no changes

I've given you the best advice that i can.

In the future I would recommend asking for input before you book the flights.

Keith

On an international flight, you have to be there 90 minutes before the flight so that would be 8:50. The thirty minutes is for domestic flights. I don't see how you'll make this flight. I'd call the airlines and beg.

Edited by BlueHerons

You might want to ask the airline what their policy is if you miss your flight. Some lines will work with you and it might be less expensive than booking a new flight now. At least you will know your options.

You may make this flight, but there is a very real possibility that you won't. You will have to be in the first group off the ship. Ask for walk off disembarkation. You will need to be able to carry off all your luggage by yourselves ie no porters or staff to assist you. Then you need to go through immigration, which could be quick or not. Once outside the terminal there will be tons of cabs all in a row. You will need 2 cabs for your group. There are van cabs available but 6 people and their luggage would probably be too much even for a van. It's only about a 10 minute ride to the airport. Aprox. cost per cab would be $15.00.

You can check in for your flight and print boarding passes while on the ship in their internet cafe. The interent time will probably cost you about $10.00 to do this.

Good luck, I hope it works out for you.

Thanks for the replies everybody. We ended up booking a flight for after noon to return home, which was my preference. I hate having to be rushed.

I really think that is the best choice. Other than doing self assist disembarkation on Princess and getting off the ship right away and still rushing and not sure if you will make it.

I know when we did self assist from Crown Princess it was really Chaotic. I wasn't sure if it was just that voyage or Princess in general, but it wasn't good. We couldn't get an elevator for the life of us, we ended up having to drag our luggage down the stairs. It was not fun. So I really don't blame you for not wanting to do it. And, honestly even if you did, I still and not sure if you would make it.