Best everglades tour

rp23g7

I hope this is the right area for this post.

So, we have been going to Florida for the last 10 yrs, done Key West, Fantasy Fest, South Beach, Orlando, Richard Petty, Daytona, Kennedy Space Center, Ocala, Ft Lauderdale, etc, But I have never seen a real alligator yet.

Not even when I returned a rental car to the Port Everglades Budget, and there was a sign " Caution, Alligator Lives in Canal" I watched for it, didn't see it. Even when we drove out to the middle of nowhere on hiway 41 for a few hrs and sat by that canal.

So now its time for a Everglades tour, which is the best one for a airboat ride and a good one to see all the Everglades critters?

My husband and I had an extra day before a cruise out of FLL last March. We weren't sure what to do with the time, so I did some research. We ended up doing the Everglades Day Safari out of Davie, and it was probably the highlight of our entire trip.

I was a bit concerned that it might be a bit too long (8 hours), but we ended up wishing we could spend even more time. You won't see alligator wrestling on this tour. It's an ecotour with a naturalist guide. We got to take an awesome airboat ride, a boat ride through the Ten Thousand Islands mangrove forest in Everglades National Park, a nature walk and a wildlife drive. And did we see wildlife! We saw hundreds of gators, manatees, dolphins, and amazing native birds. This is not your typical ecological tour. The guide we had was very informative, but he was also very funny. We laughed the entire trip, but while we were laughing we were learning so much about the history, ecology and future of the Everglades. Lunch is part of the package. It isn't a gourmet delight, but it is decent food.

They have different pick-up spots at hotels within FLL and at Flaming Gardens in Davie, making it very convenient. The vans they use are small and comfortable. You can check out their five-star reviews on Trip Advisor (they have two tours, one out of Davie and one out of Ft. Myers. Davie is the one that serves FLL), and there is a link to their website there. They also do tours out of Ft. Meyers if that is more convenient for you.

Edited by Babewho

Hi Babewho,

I might have missed it, but what is the name of the company you did the Everglades tour with?

Thanks.

Sorry, it's Everglades Day Safari. When I was researching I Googled the one for Davie, since that was closest to the Ft. Lauderdale cruise terminal.

• 1 year later...
I would appreciate any recent recommendations for an everglades tour. We will be in Fort Lauderdale on Jan 14,2017. Also,it would be helpful to know how far the boat departure is from Port Lauderdale. TIA

Approximately 30-40 minutes from Port Everglades cruise port is Everglades Holiday Park. Check online for discount offers and if you do not have a car, they have a package that includes transportation to/from the park. The airboat tour is 1 hour, followed by a gator show (featuring Gator Boys from TV).

There is also Sawgrass Recreational Park, about the same distance. I have not used this operator, but other people have given favorable reviews.

I have been in the Everglades numerous times with my uncle and I second Coopertown Air Boats. They have been around forever.

http://coopertownairboats.com/

There are a few companies out there that will and take you around the everglades in a circle and you cant even tell.

Edited by janetz

I have been in the Everglades numerous times with my uncle and I second Coopertown Air Boats. They have been around forever.

http://coopertownairboats.com/

There are a few companies out there that will and take you around the everglades in a circle and you cant even tell.

Great suggestion, but Coopertown is west of Miami, at least 50 miles from Fort Lauderdale, well over an hour away.

Everglades Holiday Park and Sawgrass Recreational Park are half the distance and are closer to Fort Lauderdale.