Enjoying Midnatsol

RMLincoln

Just to share a few random thoughts from midpoint on our 11 night voyage. ..

midnarsol is quite a lovely ship with many lounges and comfortable places to sit.

We just left Kirkenes this afternoon and now at 2:30pm itis too dark to read my book in the Panorama lounge... we went back to standard time last night so we were expecting early sunset but with heavy overcast it is dark very early.

We had much rain the first few days and needed our rain jackets.. skipped a trek into Tromdhiem dou to heavy rain and hope to get out there on the southbound, albeit breakfast time.

We purchased 3 excursions after we boarded while we waited for rooms to be ready, which happened about 5:30PM. We enjoyed the fjord excursion of day 2, very pleasant and scenic. Our next excursion was yesterday, day 6, to north cape. I'm glad we did it although the wind was fairly brutal and the walking on ice and packed snow required much care. If i were planning for winter conditions i would want slip-on-your-boot type ice cleats, such as Yax. The 3 days previous to our arrival for north cape the tour was canceled due to unsafe conditions, so wd were fortunate. The stop includes a good film and small museum of excellent dioramas. In winter they send a plow out daily to help keep the road open.

our next excursion will be late tomorrow night, the midnight concert in Tromso.

On board we have had 3 presentations of locals: a duo from the Grieg school in Bergen; a duo of muscic and dance and a Sami singer this morning. All were quite enjoyable.

Our meals have been good to excellent for us. Breakfast is buffet and open seating. Choices may be somewhat unusual for us but we find plenty to eat... cereals, fruits, yogurts, vegetables, breads, meats, cheeses, fish, hard and soft boiled eggs, maybe trays of fried or scrambled, maybe not.

Lunch is also buffet, open seating. Times fluctuate according to the needs of the excursion schedule, so some lunches were exceptionally early. Soup is part of lunch, several hot dishes, many trays of cold meats, luscious cheeses, always fish, always a vegetarian dish and many salads. Desserts include puddings, cakes with pitchers of sauces and ice cream. Lunch is the meal with the most selection.

Dinner is at 7, assigned table and set menu. The menu is out at lunch time on the tables. So far we have enjoyed all the dinners as presented and have not asked for an alternative meal-- which must be done at lunchtime.

Edited by RMLincoln

Our room is simple but comfortable. The temperature control seems to work quite well. There is a switch to run the bathroom floor heater but we keep it off preferring not to overheat the room. We have 2 beds perpendicular to each other; the bed under the Window folds into a sofa, the other bed fold up against the wall to give more floor space but even with the beds open there is plenty of space. We have a lighted mirror desk with chair and a small table. The beds each have shelves for night items and reading lights. The rooms have good lighting.

Our biggest issue has been noise at the ports. We are on deck 4 and it is probably quieter on higher decks. I use ear plugs and they have helped but mostlh i think i have needed to get used to the strange noises... last night was my best night's sleep yet!

We had a fairly spectacular display of northern lights 2 nights ago! It is too difficult to describe how it feels to stand under them with their light forming a dome around one. Photography may bring out their deeper hues but the flat pictures do not compare with the experience!

We are pulling into Vardo at 3.45pm and it is pitch dark.

Dinner tonight will be Sami reindeer! Last night was excellent beef sirloin, our second beef meal... earlierwas a braised beef meal,quite tasty. We have had lamb, char which was similar to salmon to us, excellent halibut cooked perfectly and first night was buffet. I am not losing any weight on this voyage!!

Internet has been great, let me know any questions and i will gladly tr y to provide. I must admit that internet helps not be wanting for personal entertainment. I did find an interesting book in the library but there is not a lot to choose from in English. I may have to fall back on the few i have on my mini tablet. m--

I'm glad you are having a good time! Really happy for you about the Northern Lights. It is an experience unlike any other, and I agree that no matter how beautiful the pictures may be, it doesn't compare with seeing them for real, dancing above your head...

It is great to read all this info, Maureen! Five weeks from now I arrive in Norway, can't wait. Tell us more!

Not sure what you want to hear about..... we enjoyed a hot tub soak while docked in Kirkenes. We took a walk upon arrival, but only to the memorial to the Red Army liberators which is a ffew blocks from docking. The hot tub soak was lovely. I found towels in the sauna and we eack wore a shirt over our swim suits. We have flip flops for use later in our travels (aboard HAL Maasdam from Rome to Florida ) but could manage without. We used the rear elevator to the hot tub, less public. Upon exiting our soak we quickly toweled off, donned our shirts and wrapped the towel around lower half, made our way to our room. When i saw the room steward I requested extra towels, which we have now for next time.

sunrise today was 7.30, sunset 4pm as we travel south. Some folks saw northern lights last night but they were poor and later than we wanted to go out from bed.

Today the chef will demonstrate making gravlox and participants may make their own for 250 nok. We plan to walk around town in Hammerfest for maybe 90 mins. The day is only gray, no rain. We are getting used to it. I wear light jeans type pants with thin merino leggings underneath, although for north cape i added a polar tec long john pant layer and needed it against the wind. On top i wear a thin silk layer with thin sweater over it. Then a fleece jacket topped with a wind/rain jacket. For north cape i added a hooded long sleeve t-shirt and was reasonably comfortable. Thin double layer gloves have kept my hands warm enough and able to use my small camera. I have multiple options for my head: of course the hoods of t-hoodie, rain jacket or ear band or thin watch cap. Or all!

The ship temperature has been quite comfortable throughout, unlike many ships which are often cold.

The bathroom has two canisters of multi purpose hand, body, hair soap. I washed a few things out in the sink and they dried overnight. I went to the laundry but the instructions didn't seem to match the washers... 3 differt types of washers ... so i think i will manage just with sink washing. There is a chothesline cord in the shower.

Time to prepare for our walk in hammerfest. Ask your questions and i will ckeck back in later. So good to have the internet.

The reindeer dinner was quite excellent last night. Poached salmon tonight. M--

Possibly too late, but turn right out of the port and walk up to the little church. It's beautiful inside.

Yes, we walked directly to the church. I enjoyed its geometric patterns. Stopped also at the reconstruction museum and a delightful shop. We get town maps at the ship's reception desk... very handy with their lists of points of interest. m--

I'm just enjoying hearing about your activities and how you are keeping warm.

Now I'm thinking about the cleats issue...

I have a long waterproof down coat which I expect to need in December,

and for our river cruise on the Rhine that follows. Also have merino long johns and shirt and several fleece shirts and vests. One question: is there a safe in the cabin? thanks!

I'm just enjoying hearing about your activities and how you are keeping warm.

Now I'm thinking about the cleats issue...

I have a long waterproof down coat which I expect to need in December,

and for our river cruise on the Rhine that follows. Also have merino long johns and shirt and several fleece shirts and vests. One question: is there a safe in the cabin? thanks!

We do not have safes in our rooms, reception will arrange for safe keeping of valuables.

several fleece shirts and vests sounds like overkill but one of each would be good flexibility. We too are connecting to a river cruise, Amsterdam for us.

I have a light, gauzy scarf that has been most useful both on ship and off. So glad to have it. Gloves are essential... i have 2 pair, one is thin silk glove liner, small and easy, other thinsulate lined.

My Sorell thinsulate lined low booties have been excellent, they have a knobby agressive sole. Footing on the ship good, surfaces are all nonslip.

Last night's midnight concert was charming. Weather is brighter as we move south, sunset 3.30pm and may be too early for us to view thr narrows this afternoon. Off to another ecxellent lunch... dinner tonight is delayed until 8pm due to late return of overland excursion passengers. This afternoon, after it gets too dark to enjoy viewing will be time for napping, reading and writing. Later, m--

Bring a small flashlight or better yet a headlamp with a red light position for camera work at night... i got one at walmart for $5 or so, very handy.

Edited by RMLincoln

We left midnatsol today. We had heavy rain all day but only light rain in bergen, but did take advantage of bus transfer from the pier to our hotel, comfort holberg. It was easy. 90 nok, about $14 each... was it worth it? for us today I'm glad we did but we could probably have walked it with good directions of the roundabout way because the direct way is very steep with luggage, so bus was good for us.

After chech in we walked to the fish market area to find the bus stop for the airport express for tomorrow. Not so eaxy to find at first so I'm very glad we chrcked it out because the tourist information center was closed and no one to ask except store keepers, who were helpful to us. The bus takes 90 nok cash or credit card. We have a 200 nok bill remaining so will use that up.

The southbound journey on midnatsol was relaxing and pleasant but rainy and dark. Although we entered Trollfjord it was pitch dark so we really couldn't appreciate it. The meals continued to be very enjoyable featuring as much local foods as possible which they pick up at stops along the way.

so that is the quick overview. We had a relaxing cruise, saw very good northern lights, experienced a bit of the culture, history, the flavor of many towns and good foods..... so we feel we got a good spectrum of Norway. But are disappointed that we didn't get to see the scenery in better weather but such is nature and perhaps the time of year.

I am not sure if we would use huttigruten again, maybe, I wouldn't say no.

We are moving on to other places but I will check in here for questions.

bon voyage to bhl for 1 month from now, may you too have a good coastal cruise. And many thanks to sl and others for all the help and encouragement along the way :) m---

Edited by RMLincoln

I'm glad you had a good time, even if the weather was not very cooperative. It does play a large part in the enjoyment. If you think about another Hurtigruten trip, consider Spring. The days are longer, you see nature waking up but there still is snow on the mountains so pretty dramatic landscape. The only downside, no Northern lights, but you get to enjoy the scenery much more. For a winter trip, I think February or March are (statistically) a lot less rainy/snowy.

Enjoy the rest of your trip!

I agree with SarniaLo....do give the Hurtigruten another try! We traveled in the Summer (24 hour days) and the Fall (beautiful weather and fewer people). The Spring is so beautiful along the coast in May when the apple trees are in bloom. Do go again!

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks so much for all the useful tips. Can you tell me where the electrical outlets are located in the cabins? I need to plug in my CPAP and don't want to carry a heavy extension cord, if I don't have to.

Leaving in 18 days and so excited.

Edited by Straitaway

• 3 weeks later...
Thanks so much for all the useful tips. Can you tell me where the electrical outlets are located in the cabins? I need to plug in my CPAP and don't want to carry a heavy extension cord, if I don't have to.

Leaving in 18 days and so excited.

Sorry this is late, just got back! I'm pretty sure the outlet is at the vanity, which was across from the fold-down bed in our room. If you might need an extension cord call ahead to see if they can provide you one.

• 1 month later...

Enjoyed reading your trip report! Just a question... Hope you see this...

I'm debating on inside vs outside vs obstructed view. Traveling solo, size is not an issue, and traveling in winter, so I know there may not be much of a view. But I do like knowing what the weather is.. Are there announcements in the morning? Or are there cruise news printed up? Do I really need the window? I'm pretty sure I will be on this ship...

Thanks!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Personnaly, I like a cabin with a view, even in winter, and even if I actually spend little time in it. I like to be able to see the weather when I wake up, and I like to have a peer outside during the night if I wake up during a stop (for that reason, better to have a cabin on the port side - left hand side - of the ship, which will be along the quay).

For instance you can set your alarm clock in the early morning and check from the cabin if the sunrise looks promising or not. If not, you can just go back to sleep, in an indoor cabin you either sleep through it (and miss maybe glorious lights) or get fully clothed and go out.

I had once an outdoor cabin on board MS Lofoten where the porthole was closed by a heavy metallic shutter for all the trip, and I missed the outside view (but it didn't ruin my trip! You can do fine with an indoor cabin, the outside view just added comfort, not a necessity).

The weather forecast is usually printed up.

Enjoyed reading your trip report! Just a question... Hope you see this...

I'm debating on inside vs outside vs obstructed view. Traveling solo, size is not an issue, and traveling in winter, so I know there may not be much of a view. But I do like knowing what the weather is.. Are there announcements in the morning? Or are there cruise news printed up? Do I really need the window? I'm pretty sure I will be on this ship...

Thanks!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We stayed in an inside cabin on the Midnatsol (two adjacent singles - one for my adult daughter and one for me). I can't remember which deck it was on, but they were the first cabins off the area with the elevators and stairs. There's a large open area with floor to ceiling windows, and a rack to hang your clothes to dry. They have a few comfortable chairs there, and we called that area our living room.

It was my first time to stay in an inside cabin, and I'd do it again to save the money. I've cruised quite a lot on main stream lines, and have stayed in anything from an outside to a suite, but never an inside. I was concerned what it would be like in an inside, and was pleasantly surprised - I had no problem. Granted, I rarely was in my room except to sleep.

You might want to do a search on some of the forums to see what people say about inside rooms - I know I had read some before I went. I definitely stay in my cabin more when I'm in a suite! There's so much to see on the coastal cruise, and the best vantage point is from the outside decks.