Just found out I'm pregnant. Should I tell Carnival?

I was pregnant on one of our cruises. I did tell them because it was pointed out to me (on this board), that in case of emergency they would need to know that in determining how to treat me medically.

It was no problem at all. The form I gave my midwife had gestational age and verification that I was not high risk.

The only way it changed our cruise was the congratulations from everyone.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Pregnant guests who enter the 24th week of estimated fetal gestational

age before or at any time during the cruise will not be allowed to sail. Pregnant guest, who will not enter the

24th week of estimated fetal gestational age before or at any time during the cruise, must submit, prior to

departure, a letter from her attending physician certifying that her gestational status is in accordance with this

policy, and that the expecting mother is fit to sail.

age before or at any time during the cruise will not be allowed to sail. Pregnant guest, who will not enter the

24th week of estimated fetal gestational age before or at any time during the cruise, must submit, prior to

departure, a letter from her attending physician certifying that her gestational status is in accordance with this

Until they run in to the problem Royal Caribbean had recently. Now Royal requires NO documentation from pregnant guests.

Until they run in to the problem Royal Caribbean had recently. Now Royal requires NO documentation from pregnant guests.

Elaborate?

OP, I wouldn't tell. It sounds like a pain in the tush for nothing. It's not like they're going to know if you don't.

BTW, you can see by my screen name how I incorporated multiple children. Of course, my 3 are all boys, so it's easy enough.

Here is a link to the story. Since then Royal changed their policy. No documentation needed.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/hamilton/news/hamilton-woman-barred-from-boarding-cruise-ship-because-she-was-pregnant-1.2717375

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Ah, thanks. Good change. The policy is sorta ridiculous anyway.

I wonder how this works on long cruises.

It is still very early. I just took a test today. I know anything can still happen. I would be almost 9 weeks when we sail. Should I tell Carnival?

First off Congratulations. With two older siblings, of course your thrilled. You have additional diaper changers.

Instead of an opinion, I have a couple questions you should ask yourself:

Why not tell them?

What are your concerns?

From what I have seen on here the issues were:

Couldn't buy alcohol or cigarettes. Are you planning on doing this?

There was a problem with the form itself. This did get worked out, and other posters said they didn't have any problems with that.

First off Congratulations. With two older siblings, of course your thrilled. You have additional diaper changers.

Instead of an opinion, I have a couple questions you should ask yourself:

Why not tell them?

What are your concerns?

From what I have seen on here the issues were:

Couldn't buy alcohol or cigarettes. Are you planning on doing this?

There was a problem with the form itself. This did get worked out, and other posters said they didn't have any problems with that.

Oh no, nothing like that! My mom & MIL are going to be with me & I was thinking about waiting until Christmas to surprise them with the news. Not sure if I can wait that long though.

Oh no, nothing like that! My mom & MIL are going to be with me & I was thinking about waiting until Christmas to surprise them with the news. Not sure if I can wait that long though.

Oh, fair enough. You just want to tell your family when you are ready.

Seems like people have done it both ways, so I would take some comfort in that. If you decide not to tell them in advance, once you've boarded, I doubt there would be any real consequences if you ended up needing to tell the a member of the ships crew at some point. If you decide to just fill out the form and go with it, seems like it would be good to keep a copy with you. Also make sure that Carnival emails you that they have received it, and print that email to take with you.

Congratulations again. Enjoy your cruise.

booked through TA as part of a special holiday themed packed she was putting on. Typical case of a no-nothing no-it-all, can't tell if you are trolling or serious in most of your posts.

Show us the document that shows how your TA purchased the drinks package precruise?

Show us the document that shows how your TA purchased the drinks package precruise?

I'm done with this conversation, I have avoided conversations and contributions on topics on here for the stated reason of avoiding combative trolls like you. I know that the cheers package was included in our package from our TA who happens to be DBM's DU. The package also included gift, a shore excursion, airfare and transport to/from the ship as one holiday package deal.

Congratulations to the expecting mother and enjoy your cruise, I'm officially signing off this thread.

I think you should tell them. All you have to do is have your doctor sign carnival ' s form saying that its ok for you to be on the boat. I was 26 weeks when i was on victory and had not one issue. They let u travel on the boat up to 27 weeks.

CONGRATULATIONS

I'm done with this conversation, I have avoided conversations and contributions on topics on here for the stated reason of avoiding combative trolls like you. I know that the cheers package was included in our package from our TA who happens to be DBM's DU. The package also included gift, a shore excursion, airfare and transport to/from the ship as one holiday package deal.

Congratulations to the expecting mother and enjoy your cruise, I'm officially signing off this thread.

Doesn't change the fact that Cheers can only be purchased onboard. Your package may have included Cruise Cash or onboard credit that you chose to use to purchase the Cheers program once on board.

I went on my first cruise while pregnant, I was 19.5 weeks along… I don't remember getting "clearance" for travel ora nothing like that…. is this something new? We recently cruised and I was asked if I was pregnant and I'm def. not.

I think you should tell them. All you have to do is have your doctor sign carnival ' s form saying that its ok for you to be on the boat. I was 26 weeks when i was on victory and had not one issue. They let u travel on the boat up to 27 weeks.

CONGRATULATIONS

Cut off is 25 weeks and women have been denied boarding past that and for not providing proof that they will not enter the 25 week by embarkation.

DO NOT TELL!!!!

A family in the city I live went on a RCI cruise a few months back just found out that week she was preggo with #3. The agent at check in asked and she said yes, she just found out and yep, all hell broke loose! RCI expected a letter from her doctor--how, when she just found out. They eventually got a letter from the family doctor and flew on their dime to the first port (Nassau) and boarded the ship there.

Anti-nausea meds might come in handy....

LOL, I'm working through the list of potential fathers now :D

Thank you for my laugh out loud, get red wine on the screen moment.

Ah, thanks. Good change. The policy is sorta ridiculous anyway.

Which part of the policy is ridiculous? Before 24 weeks any loss is a miscarriage, after 24 it is considered a birth, so really complicates the medical picture. The youngest child I have ever delivered was 24 weeks, 3 days gestation. Without the specialized care at that we could supply, that 13 ounce girl would not be the happy healthy 16 year old she is today.

From a neonatal nurse's perspective....

I think it is best to give carnival full disclosure for this. I traveled with my daughter on the Elation in January. She was around 10 weeks. It was very simple to handle the paperwork. When you fill out your online check in you will be asked about a pregnancy. When you answer yes, it prompts you to print out a form for your physician to complete. It asked for verification of gestational age and verifies that it is safe to travel. Once you complete it you fax it to carnival to the number given on the form. Keep the original for yourself and carry it with you for proof during embarkation.

It was all very simple. Btw.... The reason you can't sail past your 24 or 25 th week???? Because at that point the baby is considered "viable" and the ship has no way to care for a severely premature baby should you go into premature labor. And they would not be able to provide the support you need to stop premature labor. For this reason, there is absolutely no way I would cruise beyond that point.

Medically, it is in the best interest of mother and baby to disclose to them that you are pregnant. Should an emergency arise, they can handle your care while keeping you and your baby safe.

The answer to this question goes way beyond alcohol or tobacco purchases.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Thank you for my laugh out loud, get red wine on the screen moment.

Which part of the policy is ridiculous? Before 24 weeks any loss is a miscarriage, after 24 it is considered a birth, so really complicates the medical picture. The youngest child I have ever delivered was 24 weeks, 3 days gestation. Without the specialized care at that we could supply, that 13 ounce girl would not be the happy healthy 16 year old she is today.

It is just odd to me that they single out pregnancy. There are plenty of medical conditions that one would be ill advised to board a ship with, but pregnancy is the only one that I know of where they dictate whether you can cruise with. Do they ban hemophilia? Cancer? Question diabetics about how well controlled they are? Take a psych history? All conditions that if something went wrong, the ship couldn't handle as well as on land. So why pregnancy?

I'm not talking about infectious disease. It's obvious why those shouldn't be let on. Just think it's kind of arbitrary to pick pregnancy as the only condition that will get you denied boarding because of potential complications. It doesn't seem entirely logical when compared to other possible complications. HIV positive hemophiliac, Welcome aboard! 20 weeks pregnant? We're going to need a note from your doc. 24 weeks, sorry ma'am.