Vagabond Hotel San Pedro

Morebeer

Know there have been numerous negative comments about the Vagabond Hotel in San Pedro however my wife and I stayed there 1 night pre cruise Friday Oct 10th and had no issues whats so ever. The staff was courteous, and helpful and the morning continental breakfast while nothing special included enough of the basics to make it to lunchtime on the ship anyway. The nightly rate was much lower then I found at either the Crowne Plaza or the Doubletree which I found the hotels of choice for the most part pre cruise. For a one night stay pre cruise stay I saw no reason to pay more then double the rate, experienced a comfortable bed and had no problems with noise. In addition ended up parking my vehicle in the regular Vagabond hotel lot for $50 for the 7 day cruise, and also took advantage of there free shuttle service to the ship Sat. Oct 11th. That $50 plus the $8 taxi fare back to the hotel at the end of the cruise obviously totaled right around $65 with tips included versus the $84 price it would have cost to park at the port 7 days times $12 per day plus whatever tips ended up being. Sure others will disagree but from a recent traveler the wife and I had no negative issue staying at the Vagabond Hotel San Pedro for a much less costly 1 night pre cruise stay.

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like lots of views on my post but very little comment. Let me just add there is a Rite Aid drug store less then 2 blocks from the Vagabond hotel in San Pedro for those wishing to pick up a bottle of wine on board your ship of choice. I made the easy walk to that fully stocked store with no fear of any trouble from the surrounding neighborhoods.

I guess it all depends on what your standards are...

The Vagabond is an old motel...no real amenities, not well appointed...ugly location, not really near any decent restaurants...Yeah, you are not going to get mugged walking in the neighborhood, but you're not going to enjoy the surroundings either...

It's on a very busy main commercial street...with LOTS of traffic...right where the 110 Freeway dumps out into San Pedro. No one would stay at the Vagabond and think "This is nice...I'm on vacation"...

If what you're looking for is just a cheap room for a night and you don't really care how nice it is, you'll probably be okay with this...

My standards are a bit higher...

...and I started my career many years ago working for Motel 6, Inc. I've stayed in plenty of cheap motels in my life. But, as I've grown older, Ive obtained greater expectations for the hotels I choose to stay at--especially while I'm on vacation...I want my hotels to be NICE...and in GOOD, CONVENIENT locations...

JMHO...

Morebeer, I'm like you. I don't need a 5 star hotel to sleep in, content with clean and safe. Same as on the ship. I book mostly insides and am happy with them.

Yes, I know, many on CC "Will not cruise unless in the Owners Suite", not me;) I for one appreciate your review of the Vagabond.

Morebeer,

Not sure what you are looking for in way of comments but I can appreciate your perspective. But if you are looking for opinions, I must agree with Bruin Steve. Hotels are a part of my vacation and want a really nice place to stay. I wish there were even better choices than the Crowne and Doubletree but hey, that's what is available. Different strokes for different folks. However, thanks for your review.

• 7 months later...

We're booked at the Vagabond for this coming Fall and know the neighborhood (have also stayed at the SP Inn & Suites a couple of time). You are correct -- there is a RiteAid very near by and also a Starbucks across the street. Various places to eat and we always pick up flowers for our cabin at a great little flower store not far away. There is also a CVS Drug store a few more blocks away. We stayed at the Doubletree and frankly felt 'stuck' there (the red line was not in service) and we didn't think the layout (rooms/hallways) was great -- just didn't flow. The rooms were ok and the lobby was nice and the staff was friendly. Morebeer -- do you recall if they had coffee machines in the rooms at the Vagabond? The hood at the Crowne isn't much different ... Welcome to San Pedro! You're cruise starts tomorrow -- haha.