Who's arrived at the pier, filled out the med questions, and failed. What happened?

A Sixth?

You know. That medical thing that asks if you've had flu like symptoms or what ever and filled it out with a few yes boxes checked.... what happens?

We're you directed to a nurse/doctor for more questioning or a quick look-over?

Just Denied boarding?

If you were denied were you Offered a full refund or re-booked or just too bad for you no cruise.

Love to hear from posters to whom it has actually happened to.

Edited by A Sixth?

You know. That medical thing that asks if you've had flu like symptoms or what ever and filled it out with a few yes boxes checked.... what happens?

We're you directed to a nurse/doctor for more question?

Denied boarding?

Offered a full refund or re-booked or just too bad for you no cruise.

Love to hear from posters to whom it has actually happened to.

We went on a Carnival cruise just after the SARS outbreak in Toronto. I recall the questionnaire asked if we had been in Toronto and since I work there I checked off 'Yes'. We had to wait for a nurse to who asked us more questions and took our temperature before we boarded. While on the cruise we had to report to the Medical Centre each day to get our temperatures taken.

I responded positively to one of the questions on the form as I'd had a bad cold, but was getting over it. I was indeed directed to the nurse and my temperature taken (showed normal) and was asked a few questions and was allowed to board.

Things may not be so simple going forward, at least in the short term. I just got off Equinox and a b2b cruiser showed me her new med questionnaire that had very detailed questions aimed toward Ebola.

Phil

Playing Devil's Advocate here - if the answer to any question was yes what benefit to you is there in being honest? If you feel you are well enough to travel why tick "yes"?

For the record I have never been in that situation but I don't know if I would risk being denied boarding particularly as many of my cruises are major parts of expensive overseas holidays.

A few years ago we got off a Constellation cruise and spent the night before flying home at a Ft Lauderdale hotel.

I was chatting to a fellow who with his wife and 2 teenage daughters boarded the ship when we got off.

Once on board one of the daughters vomited in a public space.

The father explained the daughter had always been high strung, and the excitement of the day had probably caught up to her.

The ship was under way and stopped in the turning basin, a launch was sent from the pier, the family and luggage was off loaded and returned to the pier.

The father was telling me they had insurance and was in the process of submitting a claim.

I don't know any more than this but always wondered if the claim was paid. No mention was made of Celebrity offering a "Do Over" or any sort of credit or refund.

I just came off the summitt when i checked in there was a sign that said if you had any problems with being sick they were giving a full refund.

Hi JEANNINE1026,

So glad you posted this.

I seem to recall seeing something in writing on a previous cruise I took (but I think it was The Solstice in 2012, and not The Summit in 2013)

I realize tho that such an offer might not be in effect all the time (ie we were cruising in January... Middle of Influenza Season)

Cheers!

A few years ago we got off a Constellation cruise and spent the night before flying home at a Ft Lauderdale hotel.

I was chatting to a fellow who with his wife and 2 teenage daughters boarded the ship when we got off.

The father explained the daughter had always been high strung, and the excitement of the day had probably caught up to her.

The ship was under way and stopped in the turning basin, a launch was sent from the pier, the family and luggage was off loaded and returned to the pier.

The father was telling me they had insurance and was in the process of submitting a claim.

I don't know any more than this but always wondered if the claim was paid. No mention was made of Celebrity offering a "Do Over" or any sort of credit or refund.

My son is the same. Gets excited, eats too much and vomits. On night 2 or 3 of a 10 night cruise the waiter gave him 2 deserts at dinner, then he ran around in kids club and vomited (i'm not surprised!!). They called us immediately, we had to clean him up ourselves then report to the doctor. They took his temp and insisted on injecting him with Phenergan (wouldn't let us leave without it despite my insistence, that I am his mother, he does this, it's normal for him). They injected him and quarantined him in our room for 24 hours. After 24 hours, he had to report to the doctor again and get temp taken again. As I knew he would be, he was fine and released from in-room quarantine. Moral of the story, from now on he will eat only 1 desert........

My son is the same. Gets excited, eats too much and vomits. On night 2 or 3 of a 10 night cruise the waiter gave him 2 deserts at dinner, then he ran around in kids club and vomited (i'm not surprised!!). They called us immediately, we had to clean him up ourselves then report to the doctor. They took his temp and insisted on injecting him with Phenergan (wouldn't let us leave without it despite my insistence, that I am his mother, he does this, it's normal for him). They injected him and quarantined him in our room for 24 hours. After 24 hours, he had to report to the doctor again and get temp taken again. As I knew he would be, he was fine and released from in-room quarantine. Moral of the story, from now on he will eat only 1 desert........

Does he do this at home? Overeat and then vomit? If so I'd be very concerned about an eating disorder. Don't mean to be intrusive but just wanted to point out this concern.

We joined Solstice in Auckland last year. When filling in the forms we mentioned that we'd had the usual dry throat and snotty nose resulting form 24 hours an an aircraft, but all was now fine.

In line with the rules we were sent to the naughty corner to await the ship's nurse. She presented herself 20 minutes later, with all the pleasant demeanor of a bear roused from hibernation. A couple of curt questions about why we'd actually been completely honest, no temperature check, the forms were grumpily signed and she strode off, presumably to snuggle back down under a pile of twigs and leaves until spring arrived.

To be frank, in any other circumstances she would have got both barrels, but nervous about being denied boarding we were meek, mild and took our scolding like a couple of school kids who'd used a naughty word.

Everything else on Solstice was terrific but it was a poor introduction to voyage and definately left a bad impression. The Auckland locals on the boarding desk were aghast and apologised profusely, so full marks for the Kiwis.

I wonder if there is more to the story? People get sick on cruise ships from motion sickness. There is always a lot of vibration when the engines start up and the ship starts to move - that could easily have caused this girl to be sick (among other reasons). On our last trip to the DR, we had a crazy cab ride. The van was older and shaky and there was a strong smell of gasoline in the van. The cabby was driving like a crazy person. When we got to the airport, he pulled up right next to the smoking stand. Both my kids were immediately sick - I think the smell of the smoke just pushed them both over the edge. I felt nauseous too. I assumed it was from cab ride, but obviously could not be sure. We were early for our flight and we waited it out. If they were sick again before we boarded the plane, we would have gone home, but they were fine. I could easily see something that like this happening in the cruise terminal and would hate to be denied boarding for that reason.

I just came off the summitt when i checked in there was a sign that said if you had any problems with being sick they were giving a full refund.

Good to know, thanks for posting this.

Playing Devil's Advocate here - if the answer to any question was yes what benefit to you is there in being honest? If you feel you are well enough to travel why tick "yes"?

For the record I have never been in that situation but I don't know if I would risk being denied boarding particularly as many of my cruises are major parts of expensive overseas holidays.

Regarding your first question, maybe consider that it's not all about you. You might still be contagious and could spread your virus to others.

As for your next statement, it comes across as "it's all about me and I don't care about others as long as I get what I want."

My motion sickness story. On our first cruise to Alaska, I had no problem probably because we were always close to shore. So when we took the New England and Canada cruise out of NYC, I did not take any pills even though I have always gotten "car sick". The first morning, I had my coffee in bed and immediately threw up. DH called our steward and she was wonderful about cleaning up the whole mess, getting us new bedding etc. (we gave her a nice tip later) and DH got me some medicine from the store. No one said anything about seeing the ship's Dr. or staying in the cabin.

I was careful about not eating much after I took the pills that day and the rest of the trip, I was fine. This was an Oct. cruise.

On a later cruise, we heard that stewards have to report any sign of sickness they notice in the cabin or bathroom. I now take pills the first 2 days and I have been fine.

I wonder if there is more to the story? People get sick on cruise ships from motion sickness. There is always a lot of vibration when the engines start up and the ship starts to move - that could easily have caused this girl to be sick (among other reasons). On our last trip to the DR, we had a crazy cab ride. The van was older and shaky and there was a strong smell of gasoline in the van. The cabby was driving like a crazy person. When we got to the airport, he pulled up right next to the smoking stand. Both my kids were immediately sick - I think the smell of the smoke just pushed them both over the edge. I felt nauseous too. I assumed it was from cab ride, but obviously could not be sure. We were early for our flight and we waited it out. If they were sick again before we boarded the plane, we would have gone home, but they were fine. I could easily see something that like this happening in the cruise terminal and would hate to be denied boarding for that reason.

Good to know, thanks for posting this.

Sounds like they easily could have had a combination of carbon monoxide poisoning and motion sickness. Glad everyone was ok.

Happy sailing,

Jenna

Does he do this at home? Overeat and then vomit? If so I'd be very concerned about an eating disorder. Don't mean to be intrusive but just wanted to point out this concern.

No eating disorder, I was the same as a kid. Happens just a couple of times per year when he's over indulged at exiting times like Christmas, Easter. By the way, on this cruise when this happened he was 3 years old.

Edited by mtn_couple

On a Carnival cruise, two men in the group I was with had gotten food poisoning the night before the cruise. They reported it on the forms and had to see the doctor on the ship. The doc agreed that it was most likely food poisoning, but told them to stay in their cabin that night just to be sure. So, after they went to our group check-in (it would have been worrying if they hadn't!), they stayed in their cabins that night. They were fine.

While I wouldn't lie on the form about having a virus or something, I don't check yes to the questions like diarrhea because I always, every day, have diarrhea due to a chronic health issue. Nothing catchy and nothing the on board doc can do anything about. I am not going to chance being denied boarding just because I have a disability. If I had those symptoms due to a virus, then I would answer yes. (The funny part is, one time I was filling out that form while I needed to get to the bathroom soon, but of course I didn't tell them why I needed them to hurry up with my check-in so I could get on board and to my cabin! They wouldn't understand.)

Only saw this happen twice. On my Mediterranean cruise a woman was denied boarding and given a full refund for cruise. On my New England cruise, the doctor checked out a passenger who marked yes and deemed him go to go on the cruise.

Edited by NLH Arizona