Alcohol Purchase for Stateroom

kdkstormy

I have searched but was not able to find an answer to this question.

DH and I have booked our very first cruise on Celebrity. We have taken the beverage package in the 123go promotion. So having refreshments on deck won't be an issue, however we like to spend some quiet time on our balcony and have a drink while getting ready for dinner.

We will bring our allotted bottles of wine on board.

We recently sailed on HAL and were able to pre-order bottles of spirits for our room and a very reasonable price. 1 litre bottles were just under $40. I see Celebrity has the same but the cost is more than doubled. They do include 6 cans of soda and some snacks, but does that make it worth the extra money?

Can anyone share their experiences on ordering spirits for their stateroom and if you found it worthwhile?

Thanks

Karen

Honestly... If you are bringing aboard your 2 Bottles of wine per Stateroom allotment PLUS you have a Bevvy Pkg (Classic or Premium) I would say that buying a Room Bar Set Up would be overkill... Totally unnecessary.

Want a drink for your room... Just hit the nearest bar & bring it back.

And if you are wanting to stockpile things like Botted Water, Pop or Beer, you can just ask for it to go... Unopened.

Hope this helps,

Cheers!

DH and I have booked our very first cruise on Celebrity. We have taken the beverage package in the 123go promotion. So having refreshments on deck won't be an issue, however we like to spend some quiet time on our balcony and have a drink while getting ready for dinner.

We recently sailed on HAL and were able to pre-order bottles of spirits for our room and a very reasonable price. 1 litre bottles were just under $40. I see Celebrity has the same but the cost is more than doubled. They do include 6 cans of soda and some snacks, but does that make it worth the extra money?

Can anyone share their experiences on ordering spirits for their stateroom and if you found it worthwhile?

Thanks

Karen

We also enjoy relaxing in our cabin with a drink.

Our experience ordering alcohol for our stateroom came from our cruises on NCL. It was also more than double what HAL charges - about $80+ for a liter of Absolute Vodka and mixers (soda, juice, lemon/lime).

We also purchased a wine package (3 bottles for a discount).

It was worth it for us because we didn't do the unlimited beverage package.

However, having the beverage package this cruise, we will simply pick up drinks before returning back to our room. I don't feel it would be worth it just to have additional drinks in the room.

Just my opinion :)

We do the 2 bottles, and a premium beverage package.

When we are getting ready for dinner, or just plan to be on the balcony for a while (a late sail-in or whatever) then we buy a drink from a bar and bring it back to the room. Or drink one of our bottles.

I guess it depends on how much you are able to drink. We got the in-room bottles (which came with 6 cans of soda each and a selection of (not so fresh) nuts). We didn't have the beverage package. We only used about half. It was very expensive too. They are big bottles.

If we had had the package last time, I doubt we would have used much of the in-room bottles at all.

Previous times when we had the package, we just brought drinks back to our room. Or drank the wine. You can ask for beer to be left unopened so you can have it later. Bartenders are totally cool with that.

At $40 a bottle, the HAL offer is a bargain!

We recently paid $80 on the Equinox for a one litre bottle of Canadian Club, plus 6 cans of soda and a box of assorted nuts. Since we did not purchase the drinks package, we felt that having our own bottle in the cabin was less expensive than ordering the equivalent number of drinks from the bar; we were able to replenish our soda at each port of call.

I also had the two bottles of wine that we were allowed to bring on board, which worked well for pre-dinner sipping.

Like others have said, it probably depends on the situation. We went on a 16 night TA last time and were in the aft of an S-class ship so a bit of a walk with a cocktail in hand. Even though we had the Premium Drink Pkg, I purchased a bottle of spirits ahead of time as a Christmas present for my husband. He really enjoyed being able to have a cocktail on the balcony without leaving the cabin to get it (if you use room service, the cost would add up quickly). It was also nice to be able to offer a cocktail to guests who visited the cabin.

The snack assortment package is actually quite nice and good to have when having guests (picture below), if you are sick of cheese and crackers. We ended up having snacks and liquor left over (it is a big bottle) and left it behind. I don't know if it was worth it money-wise since we could have gotten the drinks free elsewhere and walked back, but it did make a much-appreciated gift!

IMG_2656.jpg.8b71c2b63df7699649b405a394144d74.jpg

I have pre ordered the cabin set up twice with Bombay Sapphire and tonics. The first time it wasn't there when we boarded and it took visits to guest relations and two days before it appeared. The second time it was fine. We all (travelled with sister and brother in law) enjoyed having a pre dinner drink without having to carry it to the aft cabins but I agree each time we didn't finish the bottle. Not sure if I will repeat it next cruise in May as we have drinks packages this time.

Thanks

Karen

Hi,

We are sailing on Celebrity for the first time soon as well.

It will also be our first cruise with a drinks package.

What we are planning to do is to ask the cabin steward to clear out the fridge in the room and then 'stockpile' drinks in the fridge each time we go back to the room.

We'll just ask for a couple of bottles of beer and ask the bar server to not open the bottle.

I understand that the fridge will probably keep the drinks cool rather than cold.

But it will save a few trips to the bar when we're settled on the balcony.

Some people will pay anything for convenience; others will do anything to save a buck. You know the price, and you know your priorities, so only YOU can really decide if it's worth it or not, for you. ;)

...We recently sailed on HAL and were able to pre-order bottles of spirits for our room and a very reasonable price. 1 litre bottles were just under $40. I see Celebrity has the same but the cost is more than doubled. They do include 6 cans of soda and some snacks, but does that make it worth the extra money?...

What they charge on another cruise line is as irrelevant as what the retail price is at a discount liquor store. If you're sailing Celebrity and you want to order a bottle of spirits for your cabin from them you can either pay their price or choose not to. It's neither a good deal nor a bad deal it is just what they charge.

Hi Karen,

You might be interested in the following thread from August of this year.

At the time I wasn't convinced that ordering a bottle for our stateroom was good value, but we weighed the convenience vs. the cost and decided to go ahead.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2087255

(And thanks for the info about another cruise line's prices -- it never hurts to be well informed)

Enjoy your cruise!