Please help us choose a 2016 Carnival, NCL, or RCI cruise

dreamier

Hello! Overwhelmed with our choices, especially since we are looking at other cruise lines this time around, we are asking for our fellow cruisers help.

We are DH & DW (40’s) & DS (teens). Cruising every 5-6mos, we currently have 3 booked for 2014-2015 & are looking to choose another for Jan/Feb 2016. Our first cruise was with RCI & all others since then have been with Carnival.

Here are 6 choices we are considering, with notes on our Plus, Minus, & Neutral points:

8 Day Southern Caribbean from Port Canaveral aboard Carnival Sunshine to Aruba, Bonaire, Grand Turk starting at $539pp.

• Pluses: 8 Day cruise, sails from our favorite home port, & we’ve never been to Aruba or Bonaire.
  • Minuses: None.
  • Neutral: We’d be sailing this same ship 2 cruises in a row, visiting Grand Turk 3 times in 1 year, & this 8 Day cruise is more expensive than the NCL 7 Day cruises.

7 Day Western Caribbean from Tampa aboard Norwegian Star to Roatan, Harvest Caye, Costa Maya, Cozumel starting at $462pp.

• Pluses: Never sailed from Tampa nor on NCL, never been to Harvest Caye nor Costa Maya, Cozumel is our son’s favorite port, & this is currently the cheapest of our choices, tied with the cruise below.
  • Neutral: Our summer visit to Roatan was HOT so hoping for cooler weather in Jan/Feb.

7 Day Western Caribbean from Port Canaveral aboard Norwegian Spirit to Key West, Georgetown, Ocho Rios, Great Stirrup Cay starting at $462pp.

• Pluses: Sails from our favorite home port & never sailed NCL. Love Key West, our son hasn’t been there yet, & we’ve never been to Great Stirrup Cay. This is currently the cheapest of our choices, tied with the cruise above.
  • Neutral: We are visiting Montego Bay, Jamaica & Grand Cayman for the 1st time in Spring 2015, but have never been to Ocho Rios.

7 Day Eastern Caribbean from Port Canaveral aboard Norwegian Spirit to Nassau, St. Thomas, Tortola starting at $496pp.

• Pluses: Sails from our favorite home port & never sailed NCL. Love St. Thomas & have never been to Tortola. Currently the 2nd most affordable.
  • Neutral: Having been numerous times, Nassau is a good ship day for us, making for 2 port days.

7 Day Western Caribbean from Port Canaveral aboard Freedom of the Seas to Port Canaveral, Labadi/Labadee, Falmouth, Caymans/George Town, Cozumel, Port Canaveral starting at $480-536 (depending on dates).

• Pluses: Sails from our favorite home port, haven’t sailed RCI in 10+ years, & never sailed Freedom of the Seas. Never been to Labadi/Labadee & Cozumel is our son’s favorite port.
  • Neutral: We are visiting Montego Bay, Jamaica & Grand Cayman for the 1st time in Spring 2015, but have never been to Falmouth.

7 Day Western Caribbean from Tampa aboard Vision of the Seas to Tampa, Key West, Belize City, Costa Maya, Cozumel, Tampa starting at $521.

• Pluses: Never sailed from Tampa, haven’t sailed RCI in 10+ years, & never sailed Vision of the Seas. Never been to Costa Maya. Love Key West & our son hasn’t been there yet. Cozumel is our son’s favorite port.
  • Neutral: Having been, we would use Belize as a ship day, making for 3 port days.

I will be posting this on all 3 cruise lines forums to cast a larger net. Thanks a million for your input, opinions, experience, & advice!

Out of your choices we've only sailed Royal so I'm not hugely helpful there.

Since you have teens I would look closely at Freedom. Vision is much, much smaller and has less bells and whistles. Especially since one port is a repeat on that itinerary and you'll be using it as a "ship day". It depends, of course, on what you as a family prefer but I'd look closely at what those two specific ships offer. That might help narrow it down.

With a teenager I would probably highly consider Freedom.

We have been on all lines and Norwegian as far as ship and food was pretty close to RCI in our opinion ,but while on Norwegian on sea days our 3 kids all late teens or young adults including hubby got bored. No mini-golf, volleyball tournaments, no flowrider etc. so may want to check that part of the cruise out.

My family is very active and likes to keep busy not sure what your son is like

Freedom of the Seas.

I had been on many Carnival cruises, and Royal is better. Carnival is good for value, but Royal is better and gives you more (Freedom Class, Oasis Class, Quantum Class).

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I feel like we need more info re:what you enjoy in a cruise(ports, ship features, food, etc). I would go based on ports in which case I'd pick the southern or the eastern. I know you said you haven't been to Costa Maya but its one of my least favorite ports. There's a touristy compund at the ports with the usual shops and bars and its unsafe to go out of the compound on your own.

Cruising out of Tampa is very easy and its nice to sail under the skyway bridge, but I probably wouldn't choose a cruise for that reason unless Tampa is more convenient for you than Port Canaveral.

Also although I haven't tried Carnival, you must be happy with them to be so loyal and I would factor that in since it makes sense to build up perks on one line rather than being low level on many lines.

Freedom of the Seas

Thank you for your suggestion!

Since you have teens I would look closely at Freedom. Vision is much, much smaller and has less bells and whistles. Especially since one port is a repeat on that itinerary and you'll be using it as a "ship day". It depends, of course, on what you as a family prefer but I'd look closely at what those two specific ships offer. That might help narrow it down.

Perfect advice, thank you so very much! We’ll save Vision of the Seas for possibly another time!

With a teenager I would probably highly consider Freedom. We have been on all lines and Norwegian as far as ship and food was pretty close to RCI in our opinion, but while on Norwegian on sea days our 3 kids all late teens or young adults including hubby got bored. No mini-golf, volleyball tournaments, no flowrider etc. so may want to check that part of the cruise out. My family is very active and likes to keep busy not sure what your son is like

We cruise now mostly for relaxation (recharging hard-working DH's batteries!). Thank you for encouraging us to check out the activities & offerings of Freedom of the Seas...we did so earlier this evening & it has really peaked our interest!

My vote is for Freedom of the Seas. The ship in itself will blow you away.

Just showed DH & DS the RCI webpage for Freedom of the Seas earlier this evening & they were indeed already blown away! This is the ship that was being built when we took our first cruise (RCI). All of our kids have always talked about wanting to go on "the ship with the skating rink" ever since. DS was just a little guy then so he’s excited to think he may finally getting to go on it!

I had been on many Carnival cruises, and Royal is better. Carnival is good for value, but Royal is better and gives you more (Freedom Class, Oasis Class, Quantum Class).

Carnival IS a great value so it’s nice to see this particular RCI cruise listed at a comparable price. Thank you for taking the time to share your experience!

I feel like we need more info re:what you enjoy in a cruise(ports, ship features, food, etc). I would go based on ports in which case I'd pick the southern or the eastern. I know you said you haven't been to Costa Maya but its one of my least favorite ports. There's a touristy compund at the ports with the usual shops and bars and its unsafe to go out of the compound on your own.

Cruising out of Tampa is very easy and its nice to sail under the skyway bridge, but I probably wouldn't choose a cruise for that reason unless Tampa is more convenient for you than Port Canaveral.

Also although I haven't tried Carnival, you must be happy with them to be so loyal and I would factor that in since it makes sense to build up perks on one line rather than being low level on many lines.

Thank you for asking us what we're interested in... We are easy-going, friendly, shade-loving, book-reading people! We eat mostly light foods often throughout the day, nap in the afternoons, & have dinner in the dining room. During the evenings we enjoy family comedy, adult comedy, piano bar, have a late night snack, then love being rocked to sleep in a pitch-black freezing cold stateroom!

Port days are less activity intensive for us these days. We like to tour the places we are visiting, whether by land or sea (or both!).

Southern & Eastern itineraries are also our favorites while Western is our least (though DH’s favorite port is Cozumel!).

Tampa & Port Canaveral are less than an hour’s driving difference for us so either works well & we do look forward to sailing under the Skyway Bridge someday!

While we love Carnival for their value & the perks we've earned, we are looking forward to broadening our cruise experience, especially when the price is right.

Finally...I'd like to ask everyone reading two questions:

1. Does anyone know if we would run into any spring break times if we sailed on February 28, 2016 on Freedom of the Seas out of Port Canaveral?
  2. Is the dress code for men still a suit in the dining room on Formal Nights & how many are there on a 7 night cruise?

Thank you all again for taking the time to help us narrow this down. It is helping us immensely!

Wondering if you've chosen? We love the Voyager and Freedom class ships with RCL, love the promenade. We like the food better on Carnival though. Been interested in the Sunshine since the Destiny referb. We cruised on a back to back in '97 for our honeymoon on her:). Also recently enjoyed sailing on NCL's Getaway. Anyway, interested in what you decided on.

I'm sure any will be great. T

Wondering if you've chosen? We love the Voyager and Freedom class ships with RCL, love the promenade. We like the food better on Carnival though. Been interested in the Sunshine since the Destiny referb. We cruised on a back to back in '97 for our honeymoon on her:). Also recently enjoyed sailing on NCL's Getaway. Anyway, interested in what you decided on.

I'm sure any will be great. T

T, We haven’t chosen yet but are leaning heavily toward Freedom of the Seas! Between the 3 posts on each cruise line’s forum, it is the ship that is being the most & most highly recommended.

We are also realizing that sailing at the end of February 2016 best fits our needs, so that narrows it down to Freedom of the Seas on February 28. Bonus is I believe that was the least expensive date for that ship/itinerary!

DS was in awe over the pictures of Freedom’s Promenade earlier tonight & is now asking for a Promenade Stateroom. We shall see!

That would be wonderful for you to get another go around on Destiny as Sunshine &, since you honeymooned on her, perhaps for an anniversary?! (How romantic!) Love to hear that you recently enjoyed sailing NCL’s Getaway. How I wish Miami were closer!

We sail Carnival Fantasy again in a couple of weeks & probably won’t book for 2016 until we get back but I’ll definitely let you all know what we decide. Happy Sails! S

We are starting to look at cruises for Feb. 2016 as well. I like the 8 day out of Miami going to the southern Caribbean. It is on the Carnival Breeze. As of today not a cheap cruise but I imagine there will be some price breaks before we book. We leave out of Puerto Rico in Feb. 2015 for a southern Caribbean cruise but to diff. ports. This will be on the Adventure of the Seas. Last year we did a Western Caribbean cruise on the Freedom of the Seas. That ship may have ruined me for future cruises. I loved that ship. Let me reword that...I was blown away by that ship. Adventure of the seas is like a smaller sister so I hear so hopefully I will be as happy. I know nothing of the Carnival Breeze yet but hear it is nice. If you get a chance to go on the Freedom I cannot see how you could go wrong.

I would go with Freedom. The ports are nice and the ship has many cool features. The NCL ships are some of their smallest and oldest, nothing like the Epic/Getaway/Breakaway. The Carnival Sunshine has a good price, but you have already been on her.

However, Vision seems like a very nice ship, more like traditional cruising. Enchantment, one of her sister ships, was beautiful.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

I know what you are feeling! I have been going through the same decision process all week with most of the same choices - I could've written your post lol!!! I ended up choosing Freedom of the Seas Western Caribbean mostly due to the onboard activities for my 14-year-old son and Labadee and Farmouth will be new ports for us. We have only cruised with Carnival and I was determined I was going to go with NCL this time - it was between Spirit, Breakaway, Getaway and Escape. Spirit and Breakaway are the only itineraries that really stuck out for me but Spirit is NCLs oldest ship and really not much for teens and Breakaway leaves from NYC and I didn't want to endure 1.5 days of cold each way. Good luck with your decision.

Personally, I would choose Vision or the Star, due to the itinerary. I prefer port-intensive cruises. 3 sea days is too many for me. I also prefer "real" ports to "private islands". But that is totally my own opinion. Without knowing your preferences, it's kind of hard to offer valid recommendations.

If you like to snorkel right from the beach, Bonaire is the best place we have ever been for that. The hotel Plaza Bonaire will pick you up at the dock and take you to their hotel where you can use the facilities for $10 and then take you back to the ship whenever you want. It's a must do. Huge colorful fish all around you, which is why it's such a scuba diver's destination. Any cruise is better than staying home :)

If you like to snorkel right from the beach, Bonaire is the best place we have ever been for that. The hotel Plaza Bonaire will pick you up at the dock and take you to their hotel where you can use the facilities for $10 and then take you back to the ship whenever you want. It's a must do. Huge colorful fish all around you, which is why it's such a scuba diver's destination. Any cruise is better than staying home :)

Thanks for this, going to Bonaire next month and this is good to know.:)

Personally I would prick the Freedom as my #1 option.

I cruised on the NCL Star and it was the most disappointing ship I've ever been on. Only 1 pool for so many passengers is chaotic during sea days.

My sister did the Carnival Sunshine (remodeled older ship) and she said it felt crowded during sea days (Pool areas, buffett lines, etc)

The Freedom of the seas has sooooooo much to offer. The ice skating, so many pools, H2O zone, rock climbing, promanade... and for a teenage girl, that would be amazing.

Good luck!

You sound just like us (except we don't have kids) and I would definitely consider Freedom first and foremost.

We started cruising with 4 kids & are left with just 1. Is it bad that we’re looking forward to the years ahead when we'll be cruising without kids?! In the meantime thankfully our DS is compatible with our cruising style & a joy to have with us. Thanks again!

We are starting to look at cruises for Feb. 2016 as well. I like the 8 day out of Miami going to the southern Caribbean. It is on the Carnival Breeze. As of today not a cheap cruise but I imagine there will be some price breaks before we book. We leave out of Puerto Rico in Feb. 2015 for a southern Caribbean cruise but to diff. ports. This will be on the Adventure of the Seas. Last year we did a Western Caribbean cruise on the Freedom of the Seas. That ship may have ruined me for future cruises. I loved that ship. Let me reword that...I was blown away by that ship. Adventure of the seas is like a smaller sister so I hear so hopefully I will be as happy. I know nothing of the Carnival Breeze yet but hear it is nice. If you get a chance to go on the Freedom I cannot see how you could go wrong.

We loved Carnival Dream, & are sailing her again in the spring, so I know we’d love Breeze even more. One great thing about Carnival is the ability to book Early Saver & watch for price drops. I’m sure you will have a great time on Adventure of the Seas. Everyone is really selling Freedom of the Seas! Thank you for sharing your experience!

I would go with Freedom. The ports are nice and the ship has many cool features. The NCL ships are some of their smallest and oldest, nothing like the Epic/Getaway/Breakaway. The Carnival Sunshine has a good price, but you have already been on her.

However, Vision seems like a very nice ship, more like traditional cruising. Enchantment, one of her sister ships, was beautiful.

I think we will definitely save NCL for another time. Thanks for all of your helpful advice!

I know what you are feeling! I have been going through the same decision process all week with most of the same choices - I could've written your post lol!!! I ended up choosing Freedom of the Seas Western Caribbean mostly due to the onboard activities for my 14-year-old son and Labadee and Farmouth will be new ports for us. We have only cruised with Carnival and I was determined I was going to go with NCL this time - it was between Spirit, Breakaway, Getaway and Escape. Spirit and Breakaway are the only itineraries that really stuck out for me but Spirit is NCLs oldest ship and really not much for teens and Breakaway leaves from NYC and I didn't want to endure 1.5 days of cold each way. Good luck with your decision.

Kindred cruise spirits, we are! Great to hear what you ultimately chose. Thank you for sharing & for the good luck wishes! Have a wonderful cruise!

Personally, I would choose Vision or the Star, due to the itinerary. I prefer port-intensive cruises. 3 sea days is too many for me. I also prefer "real" ports to "private islands". But that is totally my own opinion. Without knowing your preferences, it's kind of hard to offer valid recommendations.

Thank you for your recommendations!

the first question is , do you use the ship as the destination or do you go for the ports.?

i found the west itinerary boring..i found the east and southern much more beautiful..We enjoyed NCLs freestyle very much , and we found my time dining very nice. Never had a bad experience on any line..i would go to a port i have never been to..just my opinion. We found NCL much more relaxing for some reason.

To answer your question, a little of both but the older we get the more we’re starting to enjoy our time aboard the ship more than our time ashore. Our youngest child that is still sailing with us is more like us in that way. We are really looking forward to trying NCL’s freestyle. It sounds right up our alley. Thanks for sharing your experience!

If you like to snorkel right from the beach, Bonaire is the best place we have ever been for that. The hotel Plaza Bonaire will pick you up at the dock and take you to their hotel where you can use the facilities for $10 and then take you back to the ship whenever you want. It's a must do. Huge colorful fish all around you, which is why it's such a scuba diver's destination. Any cruise is better than staying home

Thanks a million for that tip! I jotted it down in the port notes that I have saved!

Personally I would prick the Freedom as my #1 option.

I cruised on the NCL Star and it was the most disappointing ship I've ever been on. Only 1 pool for so many passengers is chaotic during sea days.

My sister did the Carnival Sunshine (remodeled older ship) and she said it felt crowded during sea days (Pool areas, buffett lines, etc)

The Freedom of the seas has sooooooo much to offer. The ice skating, so many pools, H2O zone, rock climbing, promanade... and for a teenage girl, that would be amazing.

Good luck!

Thank you for all of your help!

UPDATE:

DH & I have been reading all 3 threads with great interest! Thank you to everyone who has taken the time to reply. You have helped us immensely!

We have decided to save NCL for another time. Breakaway from NYC to Bermuda in late summer/early fall sounds perfect. We’ll take a peek at the late summer/early fall 2016 fares when they’re released.

We have also brainstormed our initial dates, which were based on lowest prices for those ships/itineraries. With our time window narrowed & bumped from Feb 19 until the 1st week of March, we were able to make a quick list based on all of your feedback!

RCI Freedom of the Seas 7 Day Western Feb 28.

• Now at the top of our list as long as we can get the total price (stateroom, taxes/fees, gratuities) for the same or better as the Sunshine 8 Day Southern below.

If not...

Carnival Sunshine 8 Day Southern Caribbean Mar 5.

• Concerns... Will we like the ship when we are on her Sep 2015 & therefore enjoy going on her again the very next cruise? And will this fall during spring break time?
  • However... The 8 Day itinerary of Aruba, Curacao, & Grand Turk may trump all!
  • The original Sunshine 8 Day we were looking at included Bonaire in the place of Curacao. Curacao wouldn’t be a “bad” trade-off, would it? (We will probably do a land &/or sea tour at either.)

Carnival Valor 7 Day Western Caribbean Feb 20; Port Canaveral, Cozumel, Belize, Roatan, & Costa Maya.

• New on the list, this is a good option due the affordability.
  • We loved Conquest & since then have been looking at the Conquest-class ships sailing out of Port Canaveral.
  • We have not been to Costa Maya & were at these other ports during a very hot, humid, stormy season. It would be nice to have another opportunity to visit during a cooler time of year.

So that is the latest. We both thank you all again for the brainstorming, will keep reading your replies, & will definitely keep you posted on our decision!