Renting snorkeling equipment from Carnival?

MaiTaiMary

I know they sell cheap snorkels at the Excursion Desk for like $5 or $10 but I don't know about renting the other stuff. I'm a scuba diver and would never rent dive gear much less a snorkel/mask. Who knows if it is sanitized properly :eek:. Eeeewwww.

You can pick up your own set for not that much. Check your local dive shop. They should have some good clearance specials since dive season is over and it doesn't take up much space in your suitcase.

Or if you can't/don't want to bring it on, you may be able to rent it from a dive shop once in port. But I HIGHLY recommend you at least buy your own mask and snorkel for sanitary reasons. Fins I would consider renting, but I hate the full foot ones and only use split-fin open heel ones. Much easier on the legs!

Edited by firemanbobswife

Carnival doesn't rent snorkel gear. They will sometimes have just the "snorkel " tube for sale at the tour desk. If you do plan to do a lot of snorkeling, buying your own equipment is the best option. Most places where you can go snorkeling, you can rent gear for $10-$15. I wouldn't worry too much about the equipment you rent. I have done it myself on occasion. If you are concerned about sanitization, you can ask them to show you how they clean the equipment. If you are still not satisfied, you could bring some Clorox wipes. A lot of people use that sort of product to wipe almost anything they touch on vacation. Personally I would be more concerned whether the person preparing my meal has washed their hands, but I don't think about that either.

Have a great cruise

They sell the snorkel at the Excursions desk. It ran 10.00 bucks last time I saw them (a few years ago). Most facilities rent them, and clean them with bleach and sea water.

If you dont have a local dive shop, try any decent sporting goods store. What you want may not be on the shelf, but you can ask. I would not use any snorkel but my own.

Carnival doesn't rent snorkel gear. They will sometimes have just the "snorkel " tube for sale at the tour desk. If you do plan to do a lot of snorkeling, buying your own equipment is the best option. Most places where you can go snorkeling, you can rent gear for $10-$15. I wouldn't worry too much about the equipment you rent. I have done it myself on occasion. If you are concerned about sanitization, you can ask them to show you how they clean the equipment. If you are still not satisfied, you could bring some Clorox wipes. A lot of people use that sort of product to wipe almost anything they touch on vacation. Personally I would be more concerned whether the person preparing my meal has washed their hands, but I don't think about that either.

Have a great cruise

I am VERY concerned about sanitation. Do you know what kind of pathogens can be transmitted via improper cleaning of gear?! I won't go into detail here, but it is extensive and pretty nasty.

I actually assisted in putting together proper sanitizing techniques for the local aquarium dive team's shared equipment. Clorox wipes will do absolutely nothing in killing germs. Equipment must be soaked in sanitizing solution for a significant amount of time and air dried in order to be effective.

I'm not here to get into debate, just stating facts. As usual, everyone will do what they feel comfortable with, and that's all that matters. But, hey, if you're not worried, it doesn't effect me in any way. There is risk in everything we do. I cannot help if the person preparing my food didn't wash their hands. But if I was given the choice, I would make sure that they did.

I can, however, limit my risks for certain things by making the best decisions for myself and my family in any given situation.

I were you, OP, i'd spring for my own equipment....it's really not all that expensive , (around 50-60) for a decent set. I have a thrown together set. Pretty generic fins, but they work well, cresi dive mask and a body glove dry-top snorkel.

it's a little bit cumbersome sometimes to take it all into port, but it is what it is....I have a backpack that's more like a hiking daypack so it has a good number of straps on it, so I use them to secure the fins, but the mask and snorkel go inside the bag...

Nah, I'm not concerned with renting. I've gone on a bunch of snorkeling excursions on different trips over the years without problems. :)

We need 5 sets, so that's just way too much to pack and I reeeeally don't want to spend even MORE money.

We want to snorkle in Cabo at Chileno Beach. According to others, there isn't anywhere to rent snorkels unless we book an excursion, which we don't want to do. My kids (ages 7, 8, and 10) have never tried snorkeling and I'm not 100% sure they would like it. Just looking for something very basic so we can stick our faces in the water for a couple of hours. :D Not something I want to invest hundreds of dollars in.

Nah, I'm not concerned with renting. I've gone on a bunch of snorkeling excursions on different trips over the years without problems. :)

We need 5 sets, so that's just way too much to pack and I reeeeally don't want to spend even MORE money.

We want to snorkle in Cabo at Chileno Beach. According to others, there isn't anywhere to rent snorkels unless we book an excursion, which we don't want to do. My kids (ages 7, 8, and 10) have never tried snorkeling and I'm not 100% sure they would like it. Just looking for something very basic so we can stick our faces in the water for a couple of hours. :D Not something I want to invest hundreds of dollars in.

i don't know about your destination of choice and their rental options, but they do not rent it on carnival.

if it's as 'maybe-so-maybe-not' as you say, go look on amazon or even at walmart and you could get some low-cost, smaller size type gear which may work for your purposes. i'm not talking about professional dive shop quality gear - because i do not think that is what you are looking for.

just get a mask and snorkel (especially for kids, you can probably get that for 10 bucks) - you don't NEED the fins unless your kids are trying to set a speed record.

and i've gotta say - you've posted SO MANY questions in the past couple weeks - i went back to check your signature to see if these would be good xmas stocking stuffer type gifts, and i see your cruise is coming up soon! you must be incredibly excited! and i wouldn't be surprised if your cruising companions dubbed you their 'travel agent' as mine tend to dub me lol. enjoy it. :)

I am VERY concerned about sanitation. Do you know what kind of pathogens can be transmitted via improper cleaning of gear?! I won't go into detail here, but it is extensive and pretty nasty.

Completely agree. Buy your own.

then your options will be limited.

Yes, I know. Just trying to figure out what my options are for renting equipment.

And again..... sorry if this isn't clear for some reason, but I'm not interested in purchasing equipment to bring on the trip. Just renting.

If that's not possible, that's fine. We'll just spend a day at the beach. :)

Yes, I know. Just trying to figure out what my options are for renting equipment.

if you've already established that the location you're going to does not rent snorkel equipment... (which i don't know, i haven't been there)

then it is established that carnival does not rent snorkel equipment...

enjoy your day at the beach :)

i hope you have a great time on your cruise :D

I was just told from somebody who sailed on Carnival a long time ago that you can rent snorkel equipment on board the ship. Is this still true? Not with an excursion, but just rent equipment to take into port.

Anybody know? :)

Thanks.

A lot of snorkel excursions will provide you with the snorkel, mask, fins and vest. But as others have said I wouldn't call them sanitized, most thrown in a bucket of soapy water and then rinsed. We carry our own snorkel and mask and use their fins and vest. (We don't inflate the vest, again, don't know who's mouth has been on them)

A lot of snorkel excursions will provide you with the snorkel, mask, fins and vest. But as others have said I wouldn't call them sanitized, most thrown in a bucket of soapy water and then rinsed. We carry our own snorkel and mask and use their fins and vest. (We don't inflate the vest, again, don't know who's mouth has been on them)

I recently found vests online to purchase which I did. They pack very small.

Are you sure there is no where you can rent snorkel equipment in port?

No, I'm not. Just going by what I'm reading here. :confused:

Thanks for the responses! :D sounds like it's not going to work out, but I'll keep my eye out for rental places in Cabo. Not a big deal if we don't get to snorkel. We'll still enjoy our beach day! :cool:

On a cruise to Cayman a few years ago we did our first snorkel excursion. When we arrived, all the snorkels were hanging on this line for us to grab one. Fast forward to the end.........as each person turned in their equipment, you had to throw your snorkel into a big bucket or a drum that had some water(?) in it. As we were leaving we noticed a worker taking the snorkels back out and hanging them on the line for the next crowd. NASTY! I don't care what the liquid was in the bucket, there was no rinsing. We know own our own gear.