Praise for Celeb Suite Perks

JEDIKNIGHT

I consider myself a rather even-handed reviewer. To each his own - but I privately chuckle on those who will defend their favorite cruise-line like it was their mother, and get crazy when *gasp* someone cites real negatives about a cruise. Likewise, there's pax who live to complain about everything and again - not my speed. When reviewing a cruise I'll write about the good, and like on my recent Summit cruise - I will write about what I felt was an atrocious buffet.

Anyhow, *solely* because of date and convenient departure ports I am looking at another line and I gotta say, Celebrity's Suite Perks are AWESOME, and an excellent value. Quality pre-boarding, personalized concierge service, usually a great Butler - it's just great. When you shop some other lines and ask questions about Suite Perks - you realize how nice Celebrity is in this regard. Overall when you look at the per-day cost of a cruise, I think Celebrity delivers a stunningly good value.

It's more than just a big room - Celebrity truly makes the 'suite' experience a very seamless vacation.

I wish they had more cruises leaving from NJ or Baltimore.

I would certainly agree that they changes in Suite Perks that are being implemented in April will make Celebrity's Suite perks competitive, but the suite perks have been a competitive disadvantage IMO.

Are you looking at Princess? What other cruise line not in the RCCL family has less perks for suites? Or are you only looking at the limited number of the higher level Celebrity Suites and not the Sky Suites?

I consider myself a rather even-handed reviewer. To each his own - but I privately chuckle on those who will defend their favorite cruise-line like it was their mother, and get crazy when *gasp* someone cites real negatives about a cruise. Likewise, there's pax who live to complain about everything and again - not my speed. When reviewing a cruise I'll write about the good, and like on my recent Summit cruise - I will write about what I felt was an atrocious buffet.

Anyhow, *solely* because of date and convenient departure ports I am looking at another line and I gotta say, Celebrity's Suite Perks are AWESOME, and an excellent value. Quality pre-boarding, personalized concierge service, usually a great Butler - it's just great. When you shop some other lines and ask questions about Suite Perks - you realize how nice Celebrity is in this regard. Overall when you look at the per-day cost of a cruise, I think Celebrity delivers a stunningly good value.

It's more than just a big room - Celebrity truly makes the 'suite' experience a very seamless vacation.

As far as the Main stream cruise lines are considered, we typically agree.

HAL = lounge, no butler, less perks for sure, most suites are single room, few additional perks

RCI = lounge, no butler, some beautiful suites, not too many meaningful perks

Princess = no lounge or butler (except, unadvertised we have a friend who told us they do provide a butler in their "penthouse" or whatever they call their largest suite)

NCL = varies by ship, but from NY they have a lounge, and butlers for sure in suites

The new add-ons from Celebrity are certainly some of the best in class. With the remainder of the ship experience exceeding NCL in our opinion who has a great suite program. I understand it has been a while since we sailed NCL, but the guest to space and crew ratio has become even worse on NCL = more crowded. Entertainment might be better, but the smoking policy is not as good, and when you add in the number of kids on some sailings, we're happy to stay with Celebrity when it comes to main stream cruise lines, but we are toying with other lines for some of our planned cruises, maybe one from Boston. Definitely some options out there.

Happy sailing,

Jenna

I'm looking at Royal Caribbean. As someone crowd-averse, heck, for me even a Celebrity ship is "big" at 2100 pax. So I'm looking at behemoth Quantum with 6200 pax and the ONLY reason I'm thinking of it is in Feb, my DD has some days off school, and it's a 1 hour drive to port for me - meaning a convenient way to take my kid to Orlando for a Day and Atlantis for a day.

The suites are very impressive but when I ask about Suite Perks, I get the impression that there's a lounge, but not even a fraction of the personalized treatment you get on Celeb suites. Heck, even NCL suite perks seem better than RCCL. But then you factor in ambience and quality - Celeb becomes the hands-down best value because if you wanted better than Celeb Suite Treatment, you'd have to cruise a premium line at double the cost.

Yes, I'm looking forward to new Celebrity changes. For me, the Big One is the new dining room. If the quality and service is very good, then Celeb might become my sole mode of cruising.

How can you review a service that has not been implemented yet?

RCCL just added a new suite dining room to Oasis, which opens in March I think, maybe there is one on Quantum?

I think the ship "only"' has 4180 at double occupancy, 6100 is more like Oasis / Oasis class.

Sounds like a nice "quick" trip. Atlantis is now an Autograph Marriott property so if you travel at all with Marriott, may be a nice way to use Atlantis. There is also a bran new hotel, similar in size to Atlantis that just opened on Nassau, Baha Mar, may be worth checking out if initial reviews are good. It's made up of a number of hotels.

Happy sailing,

Jenna

How can you review a service that has not been implemented yet?

Maybe he is referring to his past sailings, in upper level suites, the add-ons are not as significant, though still very nice. If you're paying $5000-$10000/week for a suite, adding specialty dining or paying for internet are not, in general, breaking the bank. Hopefully in the area of dining, there are improvements with the new restaurant.

Happy sailing,

Jenna

HI Jenna - never heard about this new dining room on RCL. If it's on Oasis, I'd hope it's on Quantum too.

http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=6020

Coastal Kitchen, deck 17, is the new suite dining room.

http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=6022

Happy sailing,

Jenna

...Anyhow, *solely* because of date and convenient departure ports I am looking at another line and I gotta say, Celebrity's Suite Perks are AWESOME, and an excellent value. Quality pre-boarding, personalized concierge service, usually a great Butler - it's just great. When you shop some other lines and ask questions about Suite Perks - you realize how nice Celebrity is in this regard. Overall when you look at the per-day cost of a cruise, I think Celebrity delivers a stunningly good value.

Can we agree to differ on this one. To date, I have not sailed Celebrity because IMO, its full suite provision has not provided enough bang for the bucks. Having sailed NCL Haven and RCI Grand Suites, the equivalent suites on Celebrity appeared to be some what lacking with no concierge lounge, suite concierge, suite sun deck and dining facilities amongst other things which are standard on many other lines. I also found the whole Blu restaurant bizarre whereby Aqua cabins had access to their own restaurant yet suites which are more expensive access was on a space available basis and there was a$5 charge.:(

Where Celebrity does steal a march is Sky Suites as the equivalent on other lines such as RCI (often referred to as mini-suites) are just larger staterooms with a bath and very few added perks whereas Celebrity offers a butler service in addition to larger stateroom. IMO these cabins appear to offer very good value compared to the equivalent on other lines.

The announcement of Suite Class is certainly a game changer and my family are now set to sail on Celebrity. I do hope that they deliver on our expectations. We are monitoring the situation and the early indications from those CC member with access to Michaels and the addition of Michael's concierge sound very positive.

Although if the Celebrity rep reads this, the addition of an espresso/cappuccino machine in cabins with kitchenette would be invaluable. A butler is nice but we don't always want to call someone because we want a decent coffee (a bit high maintenance) and being able to make our own drinks would be lovely. They have them in the Haven suites.

The suites are very impressive but when I ask about Suite Perks, I get the impression that there's a lounge, but not even a fraction of the personalized treatment you get on Celeb suites. Heck, even NCL suite perks seem better than RCCL.

The NCL suite benefits, especially high end suites with access to the Haven, far exceed RCCL in my opinion. I'm happy to see that Celebrity has stepped up their game.

Sent from my iPhone 6 Plus on the T-Mobile 4G LTE Network using Tapatalk Pro

We travel either Cunard or Celebrity for our cruises. It's great that Celebrity is now offering some benefits for being in the top suites (Celebrity, Royal, Penthouse and Radiance(on the Radiance only. Previously we sailed in a Celebrity mini suite Sky Suite. There were few benefits that we weren't already receiving as Elite Plus. You did receive afternoon team in your cabin and we received the same canapés received in Aquaclass and Concierge. Unlike Aqua, no water was provided in your cabin and you could eat dinner in Blu on a Space available basis.

Cunard has many more perks for Brittania Club, Princess and Queens Grill. Each have there only restaurant with open seating. Princess and Queens Grill have their own Cocktail Lounge, Concierge Lounge and Private outside deck area.

You have butlers in the Queens Grill Suites and if you are in a Q4-Q1 cabin, there are even more benefits. We were upgraded to a Q4 cabin and had two bathrooms, unlimited bar set ups and refreshes. Anything we wanted in our frig, a full dining room, two doors to the outside deck, walk in closets, and electric controls for outside drapes. And to think that there were many suites even better than this one. We were wowed!

I am so glad Celebrity is now in competition with Cunard. I especially like the additional credits towards Elite/Zenith class depending on your cabin level. Cunards still gives you credit just based on the days sailed.

I just sailed on Princess with a mini suite. No perks of any kind. Sky suites on X have many perks. I think X has the best suite perks at sea. Can not wait to hear more about new suite dining as my next two cruises are in a sky suite.

This may be true at the "mini" suite / sky Suite level, but for upper level suites, it's not true at all. Upper level suites on other lines have many more perks, some unlisted, such as butlers on Princess.

Happy sailing,

Jenna

We have done Suites on RCCL, Princess, NCL and Celebrity.

I think Haven is unmatched for experience and the rooms are very nice. To me Princess and RCCL pale in comparison to the other two.

Our Celebrity Suite was when Michaels first became part of it and we loved that it was in main part of ship. Other lounges on Princess and RCCl we on floors with nothing but guest rooms and were not part of the action. We would drop by Michaels on way to dinner. Grab a drink and they would have entertainment there. Then we could stop by on way to show. Or just hang there until we moved on to something else.

Cant wait for our TA next year with all the new amentites, unlimited internet and Specialty in particular, not to mention free drink package makes it about as all-inclusive as you can get.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Forums mobile app

Jenna, have you ever cruised on Princess with a butler ? Just curious as on the Princess site there is no mention.

Exactly. But our close friend sailed in the Grand Suite, their "Penthouse" less than 2 years ago and received what was essentially a butler. He said it may not have been called that, but was essentially that, and was not his stateroom attendant, but their personal attendant. He gave me a list of other unpublished benefits when we discussed it, like unlimited laundry and pressing, en suite specialty dining, etc. The list was unmatched by anything we've seen on Celebrity. We discussed and compared it to what he was receiving while having breakfast sitting on the deck of his PH cabin on Summit.

Happy sailing,

Jenna

From what I read on the Princess site and Princess Cruise Critic boards there has not been Butlers on Princess since 2000. They say they had no need for them. I cruised on Princess on Oct. 3rd and doing so again on Nov. 17th. If I thought they had Butler service like X I would book an upper suite. I am a big X fan but they no longer have cruises that do Pacific Coastal or Mexico. That`s the reason I have been booking on Princess. Next 2 cruises after Nov. 17th are on X.

I would add that [iMHO] the higher end suites on Celebrity are also some of the nicer suites afloat. A few years ago, we researched the cruise suites available for a special anniversary and it always amazes me when people on Cruise Critic say that, if they we paying the money you have to pay for one of the higher end suites on Celebrity, they would choose one of the "luxury" lines instead. They clearly have not compared the suites available.

Top of our wish list were [in no particular order]:- two bathrooms, a real separate bedroom, a dining table [in-suite, not on the balcony], a butler and the freedom to eat in the specialty restaurants as often as we wish [quite happy to pay for the privilege]. We also like to know exactly what our suite will be like before we board [some lines do not have standard layouts and all - for example - PHs do not have the same layout].

With this wish list, it is incredible how few cruise lines can match Celebrity's suites.

From what I read on the Princess site and Princess Cruise Critic boards there has not been Butlers on Princess since 2000. They say they had no need for them. I cruised on Princess on Oct. 3rd and doing so again on Nov. 17th. If I thought they had Butler service like X I would book an upper suite. I am a big X fan but they no longer have cruises that do Pacific Coastal or Mexico. That`s the reason I have been booking on Princess. Next 2 cruises after Nov. 17th are on X.

We did have Butler on Royal last October. Really only used him for in suite breakfasts and to help with a few questions. They also had a Concierge in the lounge but never really used him as we had already booked our excursions on our own. We had been upgraded to an aft suite.

On NCL and Celebrity they had direct phone number and carried that everywhere. Dont think that was case on Princess.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Forums mobile app

I've done 2 NCL Cruises - 1 owner's suite, 1 Garden Villa. YES, the Concierge and Butler service also made things "seamless", and eating at Cagney's is a nice perk.

So NCL suite perks are great. I prefer the other elements of Celeb over NCL: Ambience, clientele, demographics, MDR, shows - hence I give my vote to Celebrity.

RCCL just added a new suite dining room to Oasis, which opens in March I think, maybe there is one on Quantum?

I think the ship "only"' has 4180 at double occupancy, 6100 is more like Oasis / Oasis class.

Sounds like a nice "quick" trip. Atlantis is now an Autograph Marriott property so if you travel at all with Marriott, may be a nice way to use Atlantis. There is also a bran new hotel, similar in size to Atlantis that just opened on Nassau, Baha Mar, may be worth checking out if initial reviews are good. It's made up of a number of hotels.

Happy sailing,

Jenna

I just saw this. I recently moved into a new complex in Cleveland called the9. Bottom 14 floors are the Metropolitan Hotel (Autograph) and upper 14 are apartments, and the 29th is an indoor dog park! and we get full hotel amenities and in house charge privileges. So my dining, bar, housekeeping, and parking etc. all go on a marriott folio, I get my marriott rewards points, and pay with my marriott visa card. I'm in miles heaven...! Oh, and we get 10% cash rebate quarterly for the in-house spend too.

Anyway, just an aside as I know you know of my love of marriott...:p