Elite Laundry Change?

Av8tor

I agree. This is a problem of Princess' own creation. IMHO, the only fair way to achieve a level should be by cruise days. That levels the playing field for everyone.

I also agree. We had over 900 Elite passengers on the transatlantic Regal voyage last week and over 1000 Platinum. The CC Host admitted there is a problem with the system but didn't offer there would be changes. When asked what I would suggest my answer was to use days at sea as the prime factor as gaining points with solo cruisers getting more consideration on the point basis.

Our CC gatherings in the Vista Lounge and the disembarkation at the same venue was a zoo. Granted for this extended voyage and it's cost it was going to capture more Platinum and above, but have nearly 2,000 Platinum/Elite/Suite pxs. out of 3200 is way above the normal demographic.

Back to the point of the thread, I was able to get a next day turnaround of my tux jacket upon boarding, and only used the Elite service once more for a formal shirt which did take 3 days which I knew would be the case. There was one cabin on this voyage that turned in 32 bags of laundry for the Elite service. The management had the suspicion that they were loading in their friends/family laundry that weren't Elite. One cabin turned in 1 pair of socks for the entire voyage! I did a couple of small loads in the laundromat because it made sense to do this.

It won't be a huge loss if they eliminate this perk entirely.
Yes, it would be a huge loss for us if they eliminate this perk. It's one of the things that made us want to get to Elite. When we retire in a couple of years and are able to take longer cruises, it's not so that I can spend time in the laundry room. And I'm thrifty enough not to want to pay to have it done for me. Just having the basics (underwear, socks, T-shirts, shorts, a couple of dress shirts, and some knit shirts) washed on our last cruise would have been around $65.

On the other hand, I wouldn't mind a limit on the number of bags that each Elite passenger can send out based on the number of days in the cruise if that would curtail abuse--something like one bag every three days.

On the other hand, I wouldn't mind a limit on the number of bags that each Elite passenger can send out based on the number of days in the cruise if that would curtail abuse--something like one bag every three days.

On Celebrity, Elite get 1 free bag of laundry per cruise, and one extra bag for $20 on cruises longer than 7 days. This is per person, so 2 Elites in a cabin get 2 free bags and 2 discounted bags.

Is this what you'd prefer? Frankly, I prefer unlimited free and waiting 3 days for turnaround.

Hunky,

You have missed the point. It isn't whether we can afford to pay for the laundry, it the perk we earned by being Elite. This is a loyalty reward. We continue to cruise Princess because of our status. And of course we enjoy our cruises. However, I enjoy other cruise lines too but

when things are equal, I always chose Princess.

Even if I could take more luggage flying, I don't want the burden of dragging excess luggage through airports, hotels etc.We don't fly first class so wouldn't even have this option. We went from very large bags to lightweight 24inch suitcases to be able to handle ourselves.

I am an elite member and I agree with you. I have also downsized when I travel just like you have. Especially when traveling solo, it is easier to maneuver around. In addition, I am not willing to pay $100 to the airline for a second suitcase for traveling international just because I purchased a coach seat.

However, I do think something needs to be done to control the abuse. Obviously there is a log-in system to get your laundry back to you and "charged" to your account, so at that point the system should be set to red flag those individuals who are submitting a considerable amount of bags that go beyond the "normal" parameters set by PC. Whether you wear your clothes once or multiple times before sending to wash, there is no way an individual or couple can generate that much dirty laundry on a daily basis, even if you change twice a day in hot weather climates.

Yes, it would be a huge loss for us if they eliminate this perk. It's one of the things that made us want to get to Elite.

I so agree. Just having attained this Elite benefit, I would hate to lose it because of excessive overuse by some passengers, like others have noted on this thread.

Even with changing underwear once or twice a day, even though we were visiting ports where the weather was hot enough to necessitate not reusing those articles of clothing again, there were still things we were able to rewear on the ship more than once. For us, that worked out to sending out one bag every three to four days. That was for two people.

Edited by bigenna

I obtained my elite status with cruise nights not cruises and really appreciate

my laundry perk. I took my 19 year old grand daughter on a 14 night

Pacific cruise last year and very firmly told her she would be doing her own

laundry as she wasn't elite. She accepted that.

I obtained my elite status with cruise nights not cruises and really appreciate

my laundry perk. I took my 19 year old grand daughter on a 14 night

Pacific cruise last year and very firmly told her she would be doing her own

laundry as she wasn't elite. She accepted that.

Just wondering but was she in the same cabin?

Just returned from the Regal maiden transatlantic on Monday. We sent laundry bags 3 times on a 17 day voyage, 2 bags each time. Received back in 2-3 days. Was pleasantly surprised with the turn-around compared to what I'd read last year about the Royal's first transatlantic and the 5-7 day log jam.

Princess should create a 'super elite' category IMHO (perhaps 365 days at sea?). Decrease slightly the Elite perks - maybe a limit on laudry bags - and increase the super elite perks accordingly (extra internet minutes? one meal at a specialty restaurant or a breakfast at Sabatini's? a couple extra mini bottles or soft drinks in the set-up?). I feel those who have spent a year or more of their lives on a Princess ship deserve a little extra. Having said that, I certainly am grateful for the current Elite perks! :D

We done Transatlantic from Southampton and then New York to Quebec on the Ruby last Sept/Oct.

We made Elite (through days not cruises), on the 2nd part of our trip.

I went to the launderette twice during the Transatlantic, no problem, but it was very welcome that we could use the washing perk on the 2nd cruise.

We never abused it, in fact our steward kept asking us everyday 'Why no bags?' we just felt that it was a privilege to be able to use it if we wanted too.

Reading this thread, it appears possibly, that no one has abused the perk, but apparently others do, I have no experience or evidence of that, but that's not to say that it goes on, so I can't comment about that.

It would seem to me that Princess need to be more vigilant about how much laundry is being sent/cabin, they know the figures as it appears on peoples accounts, if it seems that someone is abusing it, then Princess need to tackle the people concerned and ask why?....there may be a legitimate answer :rolleyes:

As usual on CC when a subject like this appears, you get the, "We want a Super Elite Status" brigade, that is not the answer to problems. Princess need to get to grips with abuse of perks and tackle them head on, if its happening!

Changing to days only may be one answer to slow down the numbers!

People using not abusing perks may be another!

For us, we are just happy to of reached the Elite status after 8 years, bearing in mind that it cost us a lot of money to get to Elite and as we are from the UK 100+ of those days involved air/hotel costs across the pond, but we don't mind that because we like Princess :)

We don't get the opportunity to get 2/3/4 or 5 days cruises in the Caribbean without air fare/hotel costs on top, short cruises in Europe are few a far between.

We are looking forward to our next cruise in January and yes we have to cross the pond, but we love it, San Fran here we come again, yes it is with Princess because we love it and yes we will be using the Laundry Perk...... sensibly ;)

"Carry On Cruising" :cool:

We done Transatlantic from Southampton and then New York to Quebec on the Ruby last Sept/Oct.

We made Elite (through days not cruises), on the 2nd part of our trip.

I went to the launderette twice during the Transatlantic, no problem, but it was very welcome that we could use the washing perk on the 2nd cruise.

We never abused it, in fact our steward kept asking us everyday 'Why no bags?' we just felt that it was a privilege to be able to use it if we wanted too.

Reading this thread, it appears possibly, that no one has abused the perk, but apparently others do, I have no experience or evidence of that, but that's not to say that it goes on, so I can't comment about that.

It would seem to me that Princess need to be more vigilant about how much laundry is being sent/cabin, they know the figures as it appears on peoples accounts, if it seems that someone is abusing it, then Princess need to tackle the people concerned and ask why?....there may be a legitimate answer :rolleyes:

As usual on CC when a subject like this appears, you get the, "We want a Super Elite Status" brigade, that is not the answer to problems. Princess need to get to grips with abuse of perks and tackle them head on, if its happening!

Changing to days only may be one answer to slow down the numbers!

People using not abusing perks may be another!

For us, we are just happy to of reached the Elite status after 8 years, bearing in mind that it cost us a lot of money to get to Elite and as we are from the UK 100+ of those days involved air/hotel costs across the pond, but we don't mind that because we like Princess :)

We don't get the opportunity to get 2/3/4 or 5 days cruises in the Caribbean without air fare/hotel costs on top, short cruises in Europe are few a far between.

We are looking forward to our next cruise in January and yes we have to cross the pond, but we love it, San Fran here we come again, yes it is with Princess because we love it and yes we will be using the Laundry Perk...... sensibly ;)

"Carry On Cruising" :cool:

Well stated! I love traveling to Europe and airfare can be costly as well as the hotel plus I have to cross 2 ponds! :eek:

I don't think there are any 2-day cruises in the Caribbean.

You could take advantage of booking a 3-day cruise to add on to another cruise if you're already springing for the airfare to get to Florida. For instance, the Regal Princess is doing a 3-day cruise on April 12 next year. It comes between a week-long cruise and a 17-day trans-Atlantic one. If you took the week-long cruise plus the 3-day one, you'd get to enjoy 10 days on the ship. Or you could fly to Florida in time to take the 3-day cruise and then the trans-Atlantic. You'd only pay for airfare one way and get to enjoy 20 days on the ship.

I don't think there are any 2-day cruises in the Caribbean.

You could take advantage of booking a 3-day cruise to add on to another cruise if you're already springing for the airfare to get to Florida. For instance, the Regal Princess is doing a 3-day cruise on April 12 next year. It comes between a week-long cruise and a 17-day trans-Atlantic one. If you took the week-long cruise plus the 3-day one, you'd get to enjoy 10 days on the ship. Or you could fly to Florida in time to take the 3-day cruise and then the trans-Atlantic. You'd only pay for airfare one way and get to enjoy 20 days on the ship.

Thank you for that info and taking the time to research the cruises.

The point I was making about the short cruises is that they count for getting you up to Elite very quickly; 15 x 5day cruises = 75days, which = Elite on the 16th cruise, even shorter if you combine 3/4/5 day cruises as people told us they done earlier this year in the Caribbean.

We done the TA from Florida in April this year, flying into Charlotte NC, near you. We stayed with friends for 6days in Asheville NC. The next week we drove down to FL to pick up the Ruby for the TA to Southampton.

We also got the Ruby back across in September from Southampton to New York, met up with our friends from NC and cruised with them up to Quebec and flew home from Montreal.

One air fare on both cruises, so we are very good at planning our cruises.

So been there and done that and enjoyed every minute, but thanks for the info.

Edited by magandy

The laundry service is my favorite elite perk. Always had to do my own laundry before 'free' since sending it out is not cheap, not to mention that it took time out of my cruise when I had to do said laundry. I have to do laundry at home and when I cruise I like to escape completely and not do the same old same old that I have to do at home. Cooking, laundry, cleaning, making beds, etc.

We don't have any airline clout, so must pay for any luggage we bring, one bag per person is our limit.

We were on the Ruby Quebec to Ft. Lauderdale and we would send laundry out one day and received it back the next evening. No delays.