Dramamine or Bonine

Anubi

Being Canadian I usually use Gravol for seasickness but I have read that one of the above seasick remedies is much better...I just don't remember where I read it or which remedy is the best one. :o Could someone please refresh my memory? Thanks.

Edited by Anubi

I love Bonine! The scopolomine patches worked great too, but you need a rx. I take Bonine a couple of days before the cruise, and always at night so I don't feel any side effects.I never cruised until I was 35 because of my motion-sickness, but have gone on 3 without any issues. Good Luck!:)

The only thing Gravol does for me is make me drowsy.

We usually stop at a pharmacy and grab a pack of Bonine (when leaving from an American port), otherwise we pick it up in the tuck shop onboard.

It also works great for our one dog who gets car sick, so we have to bring some home to get him from the dog sitters back to our house.

I love Bonine! The scopolomine patches worked great too, but you need a rx. I take Bonine a couple of days before the cruise, and always at night so I don't feel any side effects.I never cruised until I was 35 because of my motion-sickness, but have gone on 3 without any issues. Good Luck!:)

I do the same thing. Always start taking it a couple of days prior and then continue throughout the cruise. Take at night before bed so no side effects felt.

Jackie

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk HD

Bonine for us as well. Take one pill the night before the cruise and each evening thereafter and haven't had any problems with motion sickness, even on some rocky seas. No dry mouth, jitters or drowsiness, so we're sold on this remedy. If you have some time to "test" you might consider taking one and a few days later try the other brand and see if you experience any side effects.

Note: I checked with my pharmacist as well, who said there was no problem with either of these based on the "maintenance meds" I take daily. If you take daily prescriptions, this is probably a good idea with any OTC med. For example, ginger can create a problem for those taking coumadin (blood thinnner), and people taking synthroid (thyroid med) should wait 4 hours before taking calcium, so those little oops-factors can be surprising.

Edited by LoriPhil

Being Canadian I usually use Gravol for seasickness but I have read that one of the above seasick remedies is much better...I just don't remember where I read it or which remedy is the best one. :o Could someone please refresh my memory? Thanks.

'Gravol' and standard 'Dramamine' contain the same active ingredient which is dimenhydrinate. This active ingredient can make you drowsy. They are different trade names for the same product.

'Bonnine' and 'Dramamine Less Drowsy' contain the active ingredient Meclizine Hcl, which is a less drowsy active ingredient.

I bring the generic brand of Meclizine Hcl chewable tablets with me. I always carry 2 tablets around with me while on board. Once I feel the slightest possibility of motion sickness I chew one down. One tablet lasts 24 hours, and you can take up to 2 tablets according to the directions on the box. I have been doing this for years with good results.

I have MS, and one of my main symptoms is severe vertigo and dizziness. My neurologist has me take Bonine as needed. Sometimes I have to take 4 pills in a 24 hour period. It seems to work better than Dramamine (for me anyways), and I don't really have the drowsiness associated with some motion sickness remedies.

As others have said - start taking it a day or two before you board the ship. And, if that doesn't help and you still feel motion sick, you can see the ship's doctor and they can give you an injection. I've had to do that twice when even the Bonine wasn't helping. Worked like a charm!

I am not bothered with sea sickness but have brought it along for others on our group cruises and just in case for myself. I have been able to purchase a bottle of 100 tablets of Meclizine Hcl for less than $10 (might of even been less than $5) at Sam's club at the pharmacy. No prescription needed but they keep it behind the counter.

When I went on my cruise in 2012 I used the Sea Bond wristlet. I was able to find black ones so it "matched" with everything that I wear but as soon as I put it on I felt fine within minutes and it didn't make me drowsy or anything. I used it for my kids, same thing. My youngest was feeling pretty nasty during one of the pretty rocky nights (a hurricane was behind us and making the waters pretty choppy and rockin' the boat really good) but I put it on him and in less than a minute I'd say he was ready to run for the rest of the day/ evening. I highly recommend them!

Thanks to all for the replies.

I had heard that one of those two was good for not making the taker sleepy; Gravol make me sleepy and I don't want to spend my vacation feeling like I'm underwater.

I have tried a wristband that was guaranteed to work and it didn't. :( So this time out, I'll try the Bonine.

So many remedies, there has to be one that works for me. :confused:

If all else fails, there is the injection. :rolleyes:

Started taking Bonine after talking with and reading about motion sickness with surfers, etc. They use Bonine as Dramamine makes one drowsy usually.

I have been taking Bonine for all my cruises and have never had a problem even on very bad weather days. I just take one the morning of the start of the cruise and then one every night and am fine. My husband who is a known motion sickness person takes it too and has never had a problem since.

Pooh

Hi Anubi,

As another (easily motion sick) Canadian I too can vouch for Bonine. To the best of my knowledge, Bonine or the generic Meclazine (sp?) can only be purchased in the states. I've asked family/co-workers to purchase for me as I don't generally get over the border. Start 2 days before you travel, take one a day unless the conditions are particularly rough, and continue for a couple of days when you get back to eliminate the 'wobbly walking down the hall' sensation!

Good luck!

The OP is in Canada. You can buy the patches - Transderm Scop - over the counter in Canada. I am like you and get carsick on winding roads if I'm not the driver. The patch works wonderfully for me. I've been in some pretty rough seas (on my first ever cruise!) and I didn't get sick at all. I am a firm believer in the patch.

I normally get it at home and get a prescription from my doctor but, when we were in Vancouver in May, I bought some extras to have on hand so I didn't need to go to the doctor for my upcoming cruise. I just asked the pharmacist for them and there was no issue at all.

The OP is in Canada. You can buy the patches - Transderm Scop - over the counter in Canada. I am like you and get carsick on winding roads if I'm not the driver. The patch works wonderfully for me. I've been in some pretty rough seas (on my first ever cruise!) and I didn't get sick at all. I am a firm believer in the patch.

I normally get it at home and get a prescription from my doctor but, when we were in Vancouver in May, I bought some extras to have on hand so I didn't need to go to the doctor for my upcoming cruise. I just asked the pharmacist for them and there was no issue at all.

I too use the transderm patches on every cruise, but am getting such bad dry mouth and it interferes with my contacts, am actually considering trying Bonine but I don't feel confident enough to switch, yet [emoji33]

I have MS, and one of my main symptoms is severe vertigo and dizziness. My neurologist has me take Bonine as needed. Sometimes I have to take 4 pills in a 24 hour period. It seems to work better than Dramamine (for me anyways), and I don't really have the drowsiness associated with some motion sickness remedies.

Bonine for me, too.

Pcsunlover: hi from a fellow Michigan MSer!:) I sure look forward to my winter cruises; nice to have warmth and sunshine during those cold, snowy, cloudy days!

Bonine is my go to medicine. I used to only do the patch but was tired of the dry mouth and slightly blurry eyes. I cannot believe how well the Bonine works for me. I take one the morning of the cruise and thereafter every am. I cannot ride in a car in the back seat without feeling ill.

I too use the transderm patches on every cruise, but am getting such bad dry mouth and it interferes with my contacts, am actually considering trying Bonine but I don't feel confident enough to switch, yet [emoji33]

Don't be afraid to switch.... Take it at bedtime, start 2 nights b4 cruise & continue through cruise & 2 nights after... Also order online if your pharmacy doesn't carry Hylands Motion Sickness tabs - on super rough seas, tenders, diesel busses etc just dissolve 2-3 under tongue & not a bit of headaches or queasy appear! I use precautionary but Hylands works even if you have symptoms appearing!

Don't be afraid to switch.... Take it at bedtime, start 2 nights b4 cruise & continue through cruise & 2 nights after... Also order online if your pharmacy doesn't carry Hylands Motion Sickness tabs - on super rough seas, tenders, diesel busses etc just dissolve 2-3 under tongue & not a bit of headaches or queasy appear! I use precautionary but Hylands works even if you have symptoms appearing!

Thanks for the encouragement. I'll try Bonine on the first leg out to Hawaii and if that doesn't work, I can always go back to the patch if am desperate enough, thanks again[emoji4]