What booze where? Help planning!

carwen

We are sailing out of San Juan in less than 2 weeks on the Valor! Woo Hoo!!! Our adult sons have asked us to bring them back a bottle of 'something cool we can't get in Canada'. My hubby and I don't drink and aren't shoppers, so need recommendations of what to look for and at what port? Thanks in advance for any advice. :confused:

Do you also go to Barbados? There is a well stocked rum and other liquors store right in the cruise port building. Buy the really good = old and expensive rum. Rum from Barbados is excellent. So is the rum of the French islands which I haven't found anywhere else. St. Lucia also has a boutique distillery that we saw on a tour. Again the key to quality is old and expensive.

I don't much care for San Juan's Bacardi rum (unless you go for their high quality stuff) and I don't care for the flavored rums they sell in St. Thomas either. The Bacardi Distillery is across the bay from Old San Juan behind the two large windmills. Tours and drinks (with and without rum) are free, but you don't see the actual production, only a museum of how it used to be in the old days. Quite interesting.

Edited by Floridiana

Guest maddycat
Do you also go to Barbados? There is a well stocked rum and other liquors store right in the cruise port building. Buy the really good = old and expensive rum. Rum from Barbados is excellent. So is the rum of the French islands which I haven't found anywhere else. St. Lucia also has a boutique distillery that we saw on a tour. Again the key to quality is old and expensive.

I don't much care for San Juan's Bacardi rum (unless you go for their high quality stuff) and I don't care for the flavored rums they sell in St. Thomas either. The Bacardi Distillery is across the bay from Old San Juan behind the two large windmills. Tours and drinks (with and without rum) are free, but you don't see the actual production, only a museum of how it used to be in the old days. Quite interesting.

We were just on an RCI cruise that stopped in Puerto Rico. We were in the onboard liquor store and started talking to a couple of men who were purchasing Bacardi spiced rum. They had just gone to Bacardi and sampled the spiced rum. They loved it and were purchasing some to take home. Believe it or not, Bacardi rum was less expensive on the ship than at Bacardi.

I would ask the sons what they had in mind or preferred. Remember that the idea is duty free, Canadian brands won't be much of a bargain, nor American brands bought in American territories. The best deals are probably on the ship and would include any foreign liquor which is heavily taxed on import to Canada. Also, be aware of the limits for duty free booze admission in Canada.

Another edit...i keep thinking of other ideas. You will need to pack the liquids in checked baggage; can't carry them onboard aircraft in the US. This is the main reason I don't bother bringing back duty free liquor.

Edited by jamessemaj

Are you going to St Maarten? We always get some Guavaberry rum.

And Curaçao also has a special liqueur.

The liquor store on St Thomas has a wonderful selection of various liquors.

Keep in mind that whatever you purchase must be declared at customs.

And if you're flying will have to be carried in your checked bags.