Heli/Dog Sled tour in Juneau

krazy4kruisin

I was also looking into this type of tour. I really want to do the helicopter tour, but was wondering about the dogsled excursion that could be added to it. Is it worth the rate (which is double the helicopter alone rate)? My daughter feels when in Alaska that's what you should do. She is in her early 30's though and we are in our early 60's! We are also wondering about how the ride will be on our older bodies?

We went to Alaska this summer on Carnival. Both are in our early 30's and did the helicopter and dog sled excursion. There were three to choose from. I believe it was the 4 hour one that we did. It was absolutely amazing. I wouldn't trade it for the world. Well worth the $550 per person that we paid. My entire life I have wanted to ride a helicopter and a dog sled and I did both in one day. I don't think that the one that we went on would be difficult for your 60 year old bodies. There was a couple on our tour that was probably late 50's and next summer I will probably try to convince my parents to do this same excursion when we go as a family.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

We did the Helo/Dog Sled tour on the Mendenhall. It was amazing.

They will give you special boots to wear on the glacier. Your shoes and other things are placed in a locker before the flight. Only thing we carried were our cameras.

Don't forget sunglasses!

They will give you special boots to wear on the glacier.

So funny you bring this up! Just last night, my husband and I deliberating about taking this particular excursion, and the "we'll have to pack boots in our luggage" came up as a reason for him NOT to do it… Thrilled to send this over to him as a follow up!

There are several companies that do dog sledding in Juneau. coastal is a bit cheaper as it does not go through the cruise ships. It is an excellent company and the only company that I would let my sled dogs go to. Blue Kennels with Sebastian Schunelle is at the helm. He has won the Yukon Quest and all of his employees are experience sled dog racers. It is on the Herbert Glacier. There are lots of videos on fb...and yes, a person of 60 or 70 can easily ride a sled.....

These are consistently raved about tours. However with your early May date, make sure the dog camps are set up. Just because the tour is listed doesn't mean it's available.

Always have back up plans, this is the most canceled tour. Know what else is available, and have phone numbers. If dog sledding is a priority, then book it at your first opportunity, and immediately upon getting canceled, start calling.

There are three companies in Juneau, 1 in Skagway and 2 in Seward. All can be booked independent.

Be aware you do not drive the sled. There are two sleds hooked together, 3 passengers with the driver. 2 riding in the basket, one on the breaks.

Edited by Budget Queen

What budget queen says is true....However, most of the dog camps are set up to coincide with the first cruise ship into the port. The dogs leave their home kennels in April..the problem usually occurs in late August or September if it rains...they will have to get off of the glacier for the safety of the people and the dogs. There is also a dog sledding operation on the Knik glacier outside of Anchorage. It is run through the Knik River Lodge and Rick Casillo who works with our wounded warriors here in Alaska, and is also an Iditarod veteran.

• 1 month later...
There are several companies that do dog sledding in Juneau. coastal is a bit cheaper as it does not go through the cruise ships. It is an excellent company and the only company that I would let my sled dogs go to. Blue Kennels with Sebastian Schunelle is at the helm. He has won the Yukon Quest and all of his employees are experience sled dog racers. It is on the Herbert Glacier. There are lots of videos on fb...and yes, a person of 60 or 70 can easily ride a sled.....

I too went on the Coastal one and Loved the Blue Kennels and the dogs! It was something that my grandson and I will never forget! I was 54 at the time and it was a very comfortable Helicopter ride and the dogsledding was great fun! Not hard on the body at all!

We're going to book Coastal for early June and have our pick of times at the moment. Our ship is in port from 7:00 am to 8:30pm, so any of their times would work. Does anybody have an opinion as to whether morning or afternoon is preferable? I suppose the afternoon might not be as chilly. Or warmer if it's a nice day....

Edited by critterchick