Coffee cards

lyntony

Can a coffee card purchased on the Royal Princess be used on the Regal Princess?

If you have un-punched holes for specialty coffee on it you can use them up. If they haven't written the old cruise number or ship on the back you will still get brewed coffee.

I'm still trying to figure out why people are getting the coffee card. Is it because some like to get the Starbucks type of specialty coffees like the Caramel Machiato, or is it because unless you drink coffee in the main dining room, you have to pay for it when dining at other places, like the Horizon Court or International Cafe. If you can get by with brewed coffee, is it generally included in the cruise price when eating in other venues than the main dining room? Thank you for any replies.

I think there are two reasons eople buy a coffee card.

First, you get 15 specialty coffees. Assuming you drink this many, you save money with the card. Any unused punches can be used on a subsequent cruise.

Second, as long as there is a punch left, you get unlimited brewed coffee. Many feel this is much better coffee than the syrup stuff served in the buffet and other dining venues.

I'm still trying to figure out why people are getting the coffee card. Is it because some like to get the Starbucks type of specialty coffees like the Caramel Machiato, or is it because unless you drink coffee in the main dining room, you have to pay for it when dining at other places, like the Horizon Court or International Cafe. If you can get by with brewed coffee, is it generally included in the cruise price when eating in other venues than the main dining room? Thank you for any replies.

It's a funny thing - I don't care for a cup of coffee but I love my lattes!!! Taste like a nice hot chocolate. I have had one nearly every morning for 20 years. On a cruise I stumble down to the international cafe every morning and by the time I get back to my cabin I'm halfway human again. I wouldn't cruise without a coffee card - in fact, I think I have 5 in my bag right now. (My favorite elite perk - swapping out the mini bar for coffee cards)

Yes, I think people who like specialty drinks and strong coffee appreciate the coffee card. I know I have really enjoyed as I like strong coffee. My two favorites at home are called Jet Fuel and Black Tiger.

Edited by rpcv77
Error

First, you get 15 specialty coffees. Assuming you drink this many, you save money with the card. Any unused punches can be used on a subsequent cruise.

Second, as long as there is a punch left, you get unlimited brewed coffee. Many feel this is much better coffee than the syrup stuff served in the buffet and other dining venues.

With the current card, it is good for unlimited brewed coffee (not available in dining rooms or buffet or room service) until the end of the voyage it is purchased on. This is true even if all punches have been used.

Also, with the coffee card, you get unlimited special teas (my fav, ginger tea) and hot chocolate.

Also, with the coffee card, you get unlimited special teas (my fav, ginger tea) and hot chocolate.

The unlimited special teas are like the brewed coffee. They are only unlimited on the cruise the card is bought on.

Regarding the coffee card on the Royal and Regal, you can also use punches at Gelato for sundaes and crepes.

On the Royal (I got off the repo on 11/4), there was a sign on the International Tea Tower, the "extra special" special tea, by the International Cafe, that it was not eligible for punches. A pot of tea from the Tea Tower listed at $2.75.

DW and I get a single card. Gives us two specialty coffees per day with one left over on a seven day cruise. Plus we can get the brewed coffees too. BTW, Princess allows sharing the card. We would give the card to the server who would make our two specialty coffees and punch the card twice. We usually buy the unlimited soft drink package for each of us as well.

With the coffee card, do you only get free hot chocolate on the cruise on which you purchased the card or does the free hot chocolate carry over to another cruise?

It's like the unlimited brewed coffee.....depends if they write on the back of the coffee card.

What is the current price of the coffee card? I see it is $31 if you pre-order through My Personalizer.

My understanding is you save the sales tax if you purchase it ahead of time. We will be on the Ruby next week. I will try one of my old cards with punches remaining to try use it for gelato,

Edited by TravelingEA

Oh my, a 2012, Cruise Critic entry about Princess' coffee is something to behold:

"The coffee.. OM Goodness.. can we say yukkk. I cannot remember having such a nasty cup on a ship before. I then learned that in order to get fresh brewed coffee one has to "purchase" it for $2.00 plus tip. WHAT?!!?? Excuse me but I have paid a goodly price to be on this ship and now you make me pay for a decent cup of coffee? Not me, and not again."

The quality of the coffee may make Princess' all inclusive beverage package seem like a good value because it includes not only specialty and brewed coffees and teas, but bottled water in addition. That's not even taking into consideration wine and drinks that someone may want to have while on board ship.

The quality of the coffee may make Princess' all inclusive beverage package seem like a good value because it includes not only specialty and brewed coffees and teas, but bottled water in addition. That's not even taking into consideration wine and drinks that someone may want to have while on board ship.

The soda package and a coffee card work for me. No way I could spend the extra $50 every day on booze and bottled water to make it worth it. But I really like my two Americano's and whatever fresh brewed I want each day instead of the syrup sludge coffee.

Not quite true. Regardless of whether you have 15 punches left, or one, or none, you can get brewed coffee for the rest of that voyage only. The punches for specialty drinks carry-over to other voyages, but not the brewed coffee.

My understanding is you save the sales tax if you purchase it ahead of time. We will be on the Ruby next week. I will try one of my old cards with punches remaining to try use it for gelato,

You don't pay any sales tax on board either as long as you have sailed out of port before you buy it! But you do pay the 15% gratuity. However, the base cost on-board is a few dollars less than ordering in advance so it all evens out.

The soda package and a coffee card work for me. No way I could spend the extra $50 every day on booze and bottled water to make it worth it. But I really like my two Americano's and whatever fresh brewed I want each day instead of the syrup sludge coffee.

From what I've read, it's not that if you have the soda and coffee card, you pay $50 extra for the "booze and bottled water" package, it's that for $50, you get the specialty and brewed coffees, teas, bottled water, and sodas all in one package, in addition to any alcoholic beverages you may drink. If you don't drink bottled water, wine or beer, the coffee card and soda package might work great, but for those who want brewed coffee at breakfast, along with bottled water during the day, and drink wine at dinner, the $50 beverage package may be a good value. I had totally discounted buying Princess' all inclusive beverage package until I read this thread about the poor quality of the coffee on Princess cruises. Now, I might seriously consider it.

Edited by Mackenzie1

Yeah you have it right. I think the daily cost after tips are added is about $56 for the inclusive package. So to be worth it, or actually save any money at least, you'd need to spend at least $60 a day, or about $50 a day more than I spend on a coffee card and regular soda package. Even if somehow I did drink that much on a particular day or two, it would still cost me more overall for the unlimited package.

From what I've read, it's not that if you have the soda and coffee card, you pay $50 extra for the "booze and bottled water" package, it's that for $50, you get the specialty and brewed coffees, teas, bottled water, and sodas all in one package, in addition to any alcoholic beverages you may drink. If you don't drink bottled water, wine or beer, the coffee card and soda package might work great, but for those who want brewed coffee at breakfast, along with bottled water during the day, and drink wine at dinner, the $50 beverage package may be a good value. I had totally discounted buying Princess' all inclusive beverage package until I read this thread about the poor quality of the coffee on Princess cruises. Now, I might seriously consider it.

I'm with MarkSeattle on this one ("Yeah you have it right. I think the daily cost after tips are added is about $56 for the inclusive package. So to be worth it, or actually save any money at least, you'd need to spend at least $60 a day, or about $50 a day more than I spend on a coffee card and regular soda package. Even if somehow I did drink that much on a particular day or two, it would still cost me more overall for the unlimited package.")

The coffee card is only $33.35 (incl gratuity) if bought on board AFTER sailing. The beverage package is $56.35 PER DAY PER PERSON. You really need to consume A LOT of wine, alcohol and sodas for it to be worthwhile.

Edited by tothemall&beyond

I'm with MarkSeattle on this one ("Yeah you have it right. I think the daily cost after tips are added is about $56 for the inclusive package. So to be worth it, or actually save any money at least, you'd need to spend at least $60 a day, or about $50 a day more than I spend on a coffee card and regular soda package. Even if somehow I did drink that much on a particular day or two, it would still cost me more overall for the unlimited package.")

The coffee card is only $33.35 (incl gratuity) if bought on board AFTER sailing. The beverage package is $56.35 PER DAY PER PERSON. You really need to consume A LOT of wine, alcohol and sodas for it to be worthwhile.

Yes, I see. I was reading it all wrong. I thought that the coffee card cost $30 per day, but it's $30 for 15 coffees. That's totally different, especially since you can get brewed coffee with the coffee card so long as you still have one punch. That makes the beverage package not such a good value after all.

Edited by Mackenzie1

With the coffee card can my husband and I both use it? At the same time?

Kristen

You can for specialty coffee since they'll just take two punches. But you can only get one brewed at a time. I bet you can get one specialty and one brewed at the same time for one punch, but I haven't tried that.