Any update on Harvest Caye, Belize?

OhioGirl

Thank you TexasReb for your prompt response. And I am so sorry to hear of your food poisoning.

What seems curious to me is that there is only two excursions listed for Harvest Caye, Belize when we cruise. I am used to seeing many more options for excursions. I did go ahead and book one of the excursions and originally it was priced around $56.00 each. However, the website now shows that excursion but the price is listed as $0.00. These two things are what made me wonder if maybe NCL is behind schedule again and won't be ready with the island in February.

If anyone hears of anything, please post.

I wish I had saved the link. On the peninsula of Placencia, Placencia Village as I recall. There are some tour operators.

Of course the trick will be getting off Harvest Caye to the Village. Maybe a mile away ?

What seems curious to me is that there is only two excursions listed for Harvest Caye, Belize when we cruise. I am used to seeing many more options for excursions. I did go ahead and book one of the excursions and originally it was priced around $56.00 each. However, the website now shows that excursion but the price is listed as $0.00. These two things are what made me wonder if maybe NCL is behind schedule again and won't be ready with the island in February.

If anyone hears of anything, please post.

This video says they are behind schedule:

Edited by clementine01

Here's another link. This is to an article that appears to mostly be a transcription of the video in the link posted above. However, I learned a few more things...or perhaps I just missed it in the video.

One line confused me. "Andrade hopes that it will be completed by November - which is the start of the tourism season."

I'm not sure if he means the entire project, or some or the activities and/or tours...

http://www.7newsbelize.com/sstory.php?nid=34696

I spoke with the pre-concierge for my March 19th cruise and was told that Harvest Caye would not be ready for February cruises and that Belize City would be the "substitute". She said to check back with her the first part of February to see if we would have the switch as well. I am not enamored with the excursions that are being offered at HC because we want to dive. My fingers are crossed that we get Belize City one more time so that we can dive.

• 3 weeks later...

I just got off the phone with NCL. I was told that Harvest Caye, Belize will not be ready until November 2016. Belize City is the alternate!

And to further corroborate this information, when I look at the NCL website for My Cruise Vacation, the Explore & Plan link indicates Belize City. However our Vacation Summary still indicates Harvest Caye, so it looks like they have some web site work that still need to be done.

I am very please with this information as I prefer to go to Belize City over Harvest Caye!

Edited by Cuiser5001

Called also and was told the same--Harvest Caye delayed until Nov. I was suspicious when I saw all the Harvest Caye excursions completely deleted from the list for our cruise in April, especially after I had previously been told any sailing after March 1st would be going there.

Glad this is finally settled so we can get serious now about booking our excursions. Actually relieved to be going to Belize City as well.

• 5 months later...
I checked a blog monitoring Harvest Caye in Belize and NCL should be ashamed of themselves for the destruction they're causing in the area. On the little island they bought is one thing but coral protects the country of Belize from rough seas caused by hurricanes. Dumping rocks haphazardly on the coral and pouring concrete to make a man-made beach for cruise guests isn't such a smart idea. :mad:

It seems like the government is finally starting to crack down on it all:

http://ambergriscaye.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/497138/2.html

I wonder if anyone has aerials of what Great Stirrup Cay looked like before it was developed? I believe a lot of greenery was removed from the island the last time they did construction. :cool:

Yeah, I think the biggest difference between the private Bahamian cays and Belize is that changes to the "private" Bahamian cays usually only affect the cay itself, whereas in Belize it actually affects the coral and mainland as well. So, yes, I'm rather disappointed NCL is going full-blown ham-fisted on this.

It sounds like human progress to me. I wonder if there were complaints when the first caveman improved his cave by carving a hole in the ceiling to make a chimney, piled rocks in the front of the opening to provide security, and leveled off the entrance to create an outdoor terrace.

I can't wait to rent one of the air conditioned cabanas for a party of ten.

Harvest Caye, I love it.

"Safety and Security"

"Hundreds of thousands of tourists from all over the world visit Belize safely every year, but Belize is rated high for crime. Domestic gang members and other criminals have used fragmentation grenades and firearms to settle disputes. Neither U.S. citizens nor other foreign nationals are known to have been the victims or targets of terrorist activity in Belize. No areas are closed to travel but visitors should exercise caution, particularly in southern Belize City and remote areas along Belize’s borders..."

"CRIME: Although the majority of reported criminal incidents occur in Belize City, particularly southern Belize City, crime may occur anywhere including tourist destinations such as San Pedro Town (Ambergris Caye), Caye Caulker, San Ignacio, Dangriga, Corozal, and Placencia. Much of the violent crime in Belize occurs on the south side of Belize City, home to several street gangs. Law enforcement and security forces are allowed to conduct warrantless searches of personnel and property in “crime ridden” areas. A lack of capacity, resources,and training impedes the ability of the police to effectively investigate crime and apprehend serious offenders. As a result, the majority of crimes remain unresolved and unprosecuted."

"Crime, including violent crimes such as armed robbery, home invasions, shootings, stabbings, murders, and sexual assaults, remains high. Tourists at resorts and on the roads and river ways, and in the Teakettle/Camalote/Roaring Creek corridor just outside of Belmopan, have been targeted. Incidents of crime (such as theft, burglary, home invasion, purse-snatching, and pick-pocketing) increase during the winter holidays and during spring break, but can occur anytime of year. Sexual harassment and/or assault of persons traveling alone or in small groups have been reported. There have been several sexual assaults on U.S. citizens leaving night clubs, and even during daylight hours."

"There has been a significant increase in homicides in other areas of Belize, most notably Cayo District and Ambergis Caye, in the past several years. Robberies, home invasions, sexual assaults and daytime assaults are committed across Belize. Victims, including U.S. citizens, have mainly been targets of opportunity. Violent crimes are not common in tourist areas, but U.S. citizens have been assaulted in Caye Caulker and San Pedro, including reports of sexual assault."

"We encourage U.S. citizens to exercise caution and good situational awareness in all their travel activities. Visitors should travel in groups and only during daylight hours. Avoid wearing jewelry or carrying valuable or expensive items. Visitors to tourist attractions should travel in groups and remain at the main plazas at Maya ruins and the central areas. Although there are armed guards stationed at many of the archeological sites, armed criminals have been known to prey on persons walking alone or in small groups from one site to another. While many victims of theft are unharmed and only robbed of personal belongings and cash, victims who resist have suffered injury. U.S. citizens who become victims of a robbery should report it immediately to the nearest police station as well as notifying the Embassy."

"Do not leave valuables unattended in vehicles, hotel rooms, or on the beach. Consider leaving high value items, such as cameras and other electronics, at home. Women’s handbags should be zipped and held close to the body. Men should carry wallets in their front pants pocket. Cash transactions should always be handled discreetly; avoid openly displaying money in public."

"Theft of credit card information or funds committed against patrons of tourist destinations happens frequently in some areas of Belize. Belize is not “PCI Compliant” (PCI – Payment Card Industry) with the Point of Sale credit card swipe machines used at hotels. This means that when a receipt is printed out from a credit card machine, it does not delete the first 12 numbers of the credit card number, instead printing the numbers, making it easy for someone such as a server at a restaurant, a cashier at a store, or a front desk clerk at a hotel to record the numbers for making unauthorized charges against the card. It is believed that several credit card fraud rings are currently active in Belize, particularly in San Pedro."

“Confidence scams” also occur in Belize, especially in resort areas. While there is no indication U.S. citizens are specifically singled out because of their nationality, tourists in general are particularly vulnerable to these crimes, resulting in visitors being pick-pocketed or robbed. More serious crimes have included armed robbery, physical assault, and being swindled out of large sums of money from fraudulent real estate and land sales or other business deals."

"There have been reports of fraud committed against expatriates who have attempted to purchase land in Belize. Many expats have reported being the victim of scams in which land is purchased that either did not exist or was legally owned by other parties. It has been reported that Belizean authorities have not been proactive in investigating these crimes and enacting measures to ensure that they do not occur in the future..."

I have nothing new. Rather lengthy article on Belize crime you posted. I have been to Belize north several times. Nothing bad to report.

I did notice your future book and the Pearl will be in N.O. fall 2017. I had not noticed that before. I usually sail out of N.O.

Pearl out of Seattle is where I got sick. Bacteria and PARASITES, in my liver. Just started killing, and getting out the parasites in mid-March. So 13 months of getting well.

I have nothing new. Rather lengthy article on Belize crime you posted. I have been to Belize north several times. Nothing bad to report.

I did notice your future book and the Pearl will be in N.O. fall 2017. I had not noticed that before. I usually sail out of N.O.

Pearl out of Seattle is where I got sick. Bacteria and PARASITES, in my liver. Just started killing, and getting out the parasites in mid-March. So 13 months of getting well.

My lengthy post is NOT an "article". It's a "shortened" version of the US State Department's "warning advisory" on Belize City. Since the State Department normally down plays safety risks, the length and severity of their Belize City advisory is cause for serious concern.

According to press conference held in Belize. NCL says Harvest Caye to open November 15.

Now a shooting in front of the police station:

Belize City, Wednesday, June 21, 2016

The Ministry of National Security has remained silent on the issue of spiraling crime in the city which has resulted in a spate of shootings and murders. Gang warfare has escalated to new heights with the brazen broad daylight shooting of four persons, one of them a Police Officer, immediately in front of the Queen Street Police Station.

The brazen attack took place happened on Friday, June 17, at around 8:15am when a gunman targeted a known gang member coming out of the station. When the gunfire died off Police Corporal Alrick Arnold lay critically wounded, shot in the chest. Also injured were passersby Kean Smith, 24, Elroy Saldano, 44 and Graciela Castillo, 34.

Police say that the man in the crosshairs was Brandon ‘BT’ Tillett, a member of the George Street Gang. Tillett had just gone into the station to sign in as a condition of bail he was granted after being charged for a shooting incident in Lord’s Bank in June 2015. As Tillett exited the station a gunman waiting outside fired at him and missed. As Tillett ran towards the Swing Bridge, Corporal Alrick Arnold who was outside the station drew his weapon and fired at the gunman. In the ensuing shootout Arnold and three others who were just in the wrong place at the wrong time were shot.

My lengthy post is NOT an "article". It's a "shortened" version of the US State Department's "warning advisory" on Belize City. Since the State Department normally down plays safety risks, the length and severity of their Belize City advisory is cause for serious concern.

Thanks John for the Belize travel advisory update. My Getaway cruise stops there in Nov. We were supposed to go to Harvest Cay. Now I may just stay on the ship and call it a sea day. I never did care for Belize anyways and last time I was there, I only got off to buy an Xmas gift at the dock for my brother. Are you scheduled to go there for your New Year's Eve cruise on the Dawn?

Wow! Scary report. We were in Belize in March and felt totally safe. However, we only sat in the courtyard shopping area at the port, went on an excursion (horseback riding) and then went right back to the ship.

-------------------------------------------------

NCL Norway-Eastern Caribbean Feb 2002

RCCL Radiance Of The Seas-Western Caribbean Mar 2006

Celebrity Infinity-Alaska July 2011

HAL Westerdam-Eastern Caribbean Mar 2015

NCL Jade-Western Caribbean (Haven Suites) Mar 2016

-------

NCL Pride of America - Hawaii June 2018

Edited by Cuiser5001

Thanks John for the Belize travel advisory update. My Getaway cruise stops there in Nov. We were supposed to go to Harvest Cay. Now I may just stay on the ship and call it a sea day. I never did care for Belize anyways and last time I was there, I only got off to buy an Xmas gift at the dock for my brother. Are you scheduled to go there for your New Year's Eve cruise on the Dawn?

Yes, we're scheduled to do Harvest Caye on Jan 2 as part of our New Years Eve cruise.

• 3 months later...

What sailing are you on? We are on Thanksgiving sailing and wondering if it really will open Nov 15

Google Chicago and post all the shootings... Or any major city. Besides its Belize city, not harvest caye.

Apples and oranges.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Hmmm, let's try Aristotillian logic to your syllogism:

Chicago has more shootings than other cities.

Calker Caye, Belize has a reported case of Zika virus.

Therefore, there is no danger of Zicka virus in Harvest Caye, Belize.

Huh?

I was refering to the crime posts...

Keep beating your fear drum. Zika exists all over the carribbean and is in the united states. Its all over every single island, to include puerto rico, as well as central america. The vast majority of people who get have no symptoms. The largest impact is on pregnant women.

So, whats the point of your post? Zika exists as much as the common cold yet millions of people travel to the Caribbean with no issue.

Go lock yourself in a panic room if you are so concerned

Edited by Deptacon

I was refering to the crime posts...

Keep beating your fear drum. Zika exists all over the carribbean and is in the united states. Its all over every single island, to include puerto rico, as well as central america. The vast majority of people who get have no symptoms. The largest impact is on pregnant women.

So, whats the point of your post? Zika exists as much as the common cold yet millions of people travel to the Caribbean with no issue.

Go lock yourself in a panic room if you are so concerned

I don't know where you get the idea that I'm "beating a fear drum" about Zika virus? I didn't post the reported case in Calker Caye. But, some folks refuse to believe the US Center for Disease Control publicized warnings and concerns for the virus. Those most at risk include pregnant women and those with a weakened auto immune system. That means many senior citizens who also make up a large per centage of cruisers. The CDC warnings do not say "Don't Go". They say "Be Careful" (e.g. use repellant, long sleeves, etc.) Being cautious is not the same thing as being in a panic. I well remember a 2 week small group (8 couples) trek of 5 cities in Morocoin 2006. Once, we met our fellow trekers, we were relieved to learn that 5 of the males came from military or law enforcment backgrounds. We went on auto pilot dividing up the daily rountine 4 watching foward, flanks and rear while the 5th watched the women in the center. That wasn't panic that was intelligent worst case scenario planning.

PS

I'm reminded of an old adage:

Youngsters and drunks have one thing in common. They both believe they are bullet proof. LOL

Edited by Uniall