Boston hotel suggestions for May 16?

Sea Belle

We are sailing on the Veendam May 16 out of

Boston, flying into Logan International on the 15th, and seeking hotel information. There won't be any time for Boston adventures so safety and reasonable proximity to airport and cruise port are most important considerations. Of course we'd like that word "reasonable" to apply to the rate as well! :D I haven't visited Boston since 1957 so am completely lost! :confused:

I've stayed at the Intercontinental nearby for work before. It's a short taxi ride to the pier. I live in MA, so I just took a car in the last time I cruised out of Boston, but the Intercontinental is close and nice. If you're looking for a good bite to eat for dinner, just head over to the Seaport District where there are a ton of restaurants on the waterfront.

You need to check hotel availability now for that weekend. If that is one of the local university graduation weekends, you are going to have problems finding a room in the city. Price may be the least of your worries.

Very good point. Hotels are booked months in advance for all of the college/university graduations in and near Boston that time of year. Anyone wanting a room around that time should think about booking soon.

You need to check hotel availability now for that weekend. If that is one of the local university graduation weekends, you are going to have problems finding a room in the city. Price may be the least of your worries.

Yes, there are a number of graduations that day. I'm in grad school just outside of Boston and our graduation is that day (both undergrad and grad). Definitely book ASAP if you haven't already.

Thank you for the suggestions. I'll book today and then continue my search to see if something better comes up.

We did a Boston-Quebec cruise in Sept, 2013, I just about wore out my computer keys trying to find something "close & affordable" - seems impossible in Boston. We were arriving on Amtrak which made shuttle from there to any hotel difficult also. The cruise line (NCL) had a package which included a hotel room, breakfast, baggage handling,and shuttle service from the hotel to the pier. It wasn't inexpensive, but we had peace of mind with knowing that all those components were covered. Does HAL have a package like this?

"Close and affordable" combined with "Boston" in the same sentence is a non-sequiter in my experience.

Exactly. Boston prices are in the same category as NYC. Everything decent here is pricey.

At least 14-16 of us stayed at the best western Adams inn in Quincy, MA last July prior to our cruise on the Veendam. Reasonable rates and shuttle to the pier and back. You must arrange that IMMEDIATELY upon making reservation.

Two weeks free parking, then very reasonable rate for additional days.

Decent restaurant with included breakfast.

Thanks for the suggestion of the Best Western Adams, Mickie. Unfortunately it is already sold out for our dates. As several have said, "affordable and convenient" do not apply in Boston so I also will be wearing my fingers out trying to snag a deal. I know, I know.....rots of ruck! At least our Dec. plans in Ft. L are concrete and didn't break the bank!

If you haven't booked your flight yet, consider a flight into Manchester, NH or Providence, RI. Both are close to Boston, and are known to have lower hotel rates. You could take public transportation (bus or train) into Boston, then a cab to Black Falcon Terminal.

I know for a fact you can get a limo from the PVD area to Black Falcon at a reasonable cost, as I've done it.

The price of the hotel plus travel to Boston the morning of the cruise may be less than the price of a hotel in Boston.

So glad to hear this as I have booked it for our pre night 5/9 sailing.

That area of Boston has been newly redeveloped and there are lots of restaurants etc in the area.

I went to dinner with friends last night and our new Governor Elect Charlie Baker was dining a table away from us in the very small restaurant. He held his Election Night Party at the Seaport Hotel. :)

We found the Seaport Hotel to be delightful! The staff was very helpful and the room was very clean and extremely "high tech". The "high tech" part was a bit much for us, but was interesting. The location was great, plenty of good restaurants in the area. The breakfast in the hotel was really good, a bit expensive, but worth every penny. Enjoy your cruise!